NBA Lockout

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
So it appears that the players are going to be disbanding their union, and suing the owners in an anti-trust lawsuit? Will there ever be NBA basketball again?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do not care.

Let them go claim they are part of the 99%.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yep. I said it on facebook. Dear NBA, no one cares.

When baseball and hockey had they stoppages it was a big deal because there is no dominant college alternative. That fact is many people such as myself prefer college anyway. I love the Bulls and I would watch the he'll our of them but I just find too much else going on to care. NFL, NHL,CBB....

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I care...but of course I do and we all know why. College ball is not an alternative for me, I prefer watching the best.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only bad thing about this is that likely it's one season out of the prime of Derrick Rose's career. Other then that.... don't give a shit and hope these morons finally start to see how the real world lives.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Only bad thing about this is that likely it's one season out of the prime of Derrick Rose's career. Other then that.... don't give a shit and hope these morons finally start to see how the real world lives.
After the last couple of seasons, I prefer to think of it as a recharge, rest his bones from the pounding in the lane he's been getting, and give him time to focus on what he needs to. I assume that's what he's doing. The kid got beat up as much as any player I've seen. He'll come back stronger than ever I imagine.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anybody else see an article a month ago stating Rose intended to play in Europe if there was a prolonged lockout.

Variable

Liked Posts:
I care...but of course I do and we all know why. College ball is not an alternative for me, I prefer watching the best.

Yeah college basketball is, for the most part, bad. In some cases real bad. Like that National Championship game last year. Real, real bad.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
College basketball as a whole is better. More drama, rivalries, underdogs, enthusiasm... The quality of the players is obviously diluted if you are trying to compare an NBA team to a college team, but the competition is at the same level. Day in and Day out these kids are giving up their bodies to play the game with a ticking clock on how long they have. Wins and losses mean much more because they strive for that number one rank. NBA has turned to babysitting ego's and made for tv drama with an all out thug ball. It's fun to root for your team, but I couldn't watch any other games really. In college there is usually an underdog to root for, and there are always scenarios you can work out in your head for how a win or a loss helps your team. Plus they like defense. haha

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I could personally care less about organized thuggery...er...the NBA, Somehow I seriously doubt that pro basketball will be forever gone form the American landscape of sports.

Variable

Liked Posts:
College basketball as a whole is better. More drama, rivalries, underdogs, enthusiasm... The quality of the players is obviously diluted if you are trying to compare an NBA team to a college team, but the competition is at the same level. Day in and Day out these kids are giving up their bodies to play the game with a ticking clock on how long they have. Wins and losses mean much more because they strive for that number one rank. NBA has turned to babysitting ego's and made for tv drama with an all out thug ball. It's fun to root for your team, but I couldn't watch any other games really. In college there is usually an underdog to root for, and there are always scenarios you can work out in your head for how a win or a loss helps your team. Plus they like defense. haha

Ah yes, the old "But they do try so very hard" argument. Yeah, I'll take a pass on that. I don't give a shit about a school's history or their rivalry with another school. None of that appeals to me, I could understand if you were a student at that time, but now? Complete indifference. And LoL on the "they actually play defense!" Yeah. No.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I could personally care less about organized thuggery...er...the NBA, Somehow I seriously doubt that pro basketball will be forever gone form the American landscape of sports.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yvt0B4RXWc[/media]

Website dedicated to thuggery!

Lord call a spade a spade, don't be scared and sugar coat it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay, fair is fair--the instgating rule made Hockey more thuggery like and less duel-like (even if the duels emphasized blunt-force trauma). Still, i was referring to the whole, "bringing weapons to practice." and the like.
<

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, fair is fair--the instgating rule made Hockey more thuggery like and less duel-like (even if the duels emphasized blunt-force trauma). Still, i was referring to the whole, "bringing weapons to practice." and the like.
<

I hear ya, but you can't generalized the whole league based on that incident. I mean, I am not going to stop liking hockey and generalizing every hockey player as murderers because Dany Heatly drives drunk and kills his passenger. I'm not going to even bring up Bobby Hull....oops, I just did.

If morality is the criteria whether or not you like a league....em.....I not calling you out as a "R"....but it makes me wonder?

Or just say, culturally it does not suit my fancy.....I get it....most of my peeps can't get with hockey and I hope they are not trashing hockey players based on generalizations.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Ah yes, the old "But they do try so very hard" argument. Yeah, I'll take a pass on that. I don't give a shit about a school's history or their rivalry with another school. None of that appeals to me, I could understand if you were a student at that time, but now? Complete indifference. And LoL on the "they actually play defense!" Yeah. No.
Nice argument, I really see your point.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hear ya, but you can't generalized the whole league based on that incident. I mean, I am not going to stop liking hockey and generalizing every hockey player as murderers because Dany Heatly drives drunk and kills his passenger. I'm not going to even bring up Bobby Hull....oops, I just did.

If morality is the criteria whether or not you like a league....em.....I not calling you out as a "R"....but it makes me wonder?

Or just say, culturally it does not suit my fancy.....I get it....most of my peeps can't get with hockey and I hope they are not trashing hockey players based on generalizations.

Me? Morality? You *have* to be kidding me.
<
I honestly do not think that all basketball players are thugs or bring weapons to practice (and Basketball is not the only sport that does it), no more than I think all hockey players are missing teeth or wife-beaters. There are classy Basketball players just like there are classy Hockey, Gridiron football, Baseball, Soccer, and players from every sport. I do joke about the unclassy players/actions and I have been known to joke about Tie Domi using Tia Carrere as a warm-up bout for his fights with Bob Probert.

But take that as you will, i'm the type that thinks nothing is too sacred to be joked about and you have to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at others.

As for the sport in and of itself, It was just very hard for me to get into. It may be easier to pick up and play than Hockey, and unlike Gridiron Football, they *actually* play more than 15 minutes per game, but IMHO scoring is too easy to be a big moment of joy (like, say, Montador's PP goal) and I've never been too big into college sports to really have a need for following college basketball.

But to each their own. While I think this might be close to the death-knell for the NBA, I doubt that pro basketball will go anywhere in american sports--some other pro league will start trying to correct the wrongs that the NBA did, but they won't get it anywhere near perfect and there will be something to make fun of it for.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me? Morality? You *have* to be kidding me.
<
I honestly do not think that all basketball players are thugs or bring weapons to practice (and Basketball is not the only sport that does it), no more than I think all hockey players are missing teeth or wife-beaters. There are classy Basketball players just like there are classy Hockey, Gridiron football, Baseball, Soccer, and players from every sport. I do joke about the unclassy players/actions and I have been known to joke about Tie Domi using Tia Carrere as a warm-up bout for his fights with Bob Probert.

But take that as you will, i'm the type that thinks nothing is too sacred to be joked about and you have to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at others.

As for the sport in and of itself, It was just very hard for me to get into. It may be easier to pick up and play than Hockey, and unlike Gridiron Football, they *actually* play more than 15 minutes per game, but IMHO scoring is too easy to be a big moment of joy (like, say, Montador's PP goal) and I've never been too big into college sports to really have a need for following college basketball.

But to each their own. While I think this might be close to the death-knell for the NBA, I doubt that pro basketball will go anywhere in american sports--some other pro league will start trying to correct the wrongs that the NBA did, but they won't get it anywhere near perfect and there will be something to make fun of it for.

It's all good Lord...it's just me acting like my uncle.
<

edit: I just thought about it, every time I call you Lord...I feel like I am talking to some Gangster Thug....lol

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
But it's not competitive at all. And that's not the argument here, because women's basketball is basically an entirely different game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's all good Lord...it's just me acting like my uncle.
<

edit: I just thought about it, every time I call you Lord...I feel like I am talking to some Gangster Thug....lol

Nah, per comic book rules, Gangster Thugs usually don't receive the title of Lord. They're usually just cannon fodder for the hero and wind up dead. I think my ranking is somewhere between Trusted Leutennant (Survives but get sent to jail), and Evil Overlord (loses but capable of escape or a moral victory over the hero), depending on where or not I follow the Evil Overlord rules or not.
<

Back on topic: That is also a complaint of mine. I have no problem with equality of women. Especially in sports. There's no reason that a woman cannot play the same game within the same rules a man does. As such, I want to see full body checking, fighting, etc. in women's hockey. There's also no reason the WNBA can't play under the same rules as the NBA.