Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too early to determine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it time to discuss how effective Stan Bowman has been as GM of this team?

Does anyone else feel like if it were not for his father, and the McD love of his father as well, that he would never be qualified to be an acting GM?

Thoughts?

supraman

Liked Posts:

Does anyone else feel like if it were not for his father, and the McD love of his father as well, that he would never be qualified to be an acting GM?

Thoughts?

He's made some good moves and some bad moves. My issue is he replaced Dale who I really liked, I'm pretty much biased to hate whoever that person is. How he handles the Q situation will be the deciding factor. Q needs to go and if he clings on too him much longer he needs to go too because he's too timid to pull the trigger.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's made some good moves and some bad moves. My issue is he replaced Dale who I really liked, I'm pretty much biased to hate whoever that person is. How he handles the Q situation will be the deciding factor. Q needs to go and if he clings on too him much longer he needs to go too because he's too timid to pull the trigger.

Maybe they can fire Q and make him an ambassador as well............

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's beginning to show, that Stan is in over his head. I'd get rid of him and hire a GM who actually can assemble a team. If there is still a problem, then I would get rid of McDonough, because....well......he just needs to go........for a myriad of reasons.........he is clueless..........and............wait for it..........................HE SUCKS

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I am highly critical of Stan so I will just stay out of this conversation as long as I can or else it's going to give me an ulcer. But I also realise I have to hold off a lot of full judgement on Stan until we see how his prospects and picks turn out...but even then how much of that is Stan and how much of that is his scouts? Not saying Dale too also didn't have his scouts when he built this team (Dale has also made a few bust draft picks lest we forget). But I also look at a lot of "now" moves when it comes to NHL managers in Stans position..and that is where I do not think he has done a very good job.

And I know the cap stuff is critical and has had a major effect on some of Stans moves. But seeing that Dale is also responsible for helping Stan clear that cap space out just raises more questions i have about Stan as a GM. If Dale wasn't there to take Campbell and Versteeg and Kopecky etc would Stan have been able to clear the cap space he has now? Seeing the return from the bulk of those trades have been near garbage returns it also just shows how fucking amazing Dale is at fleecing other teams...including the last one he built. Dale had the last laugh a couple times on Mcdonut and this office team. Good for him.

This thread is just going to turn into a fire the coach thread anyways. Stan and Q do not appear to work well together that really is problem #1 in my mind.

I also don't see Stan as a players GM either. I see him much more of a corporate GM. which never works out.

I am heavilly bias also because Stan has moved some of my favorite depth players off this club while bringing in at least one of my most disliked player and a couple who are slowly becomming players I would like to forget about as quickly as I can. Not looking for the same team that won the cup and I know thats not realistic but man oh man that guy really put a dent in a depth roster that I just loved. I am trying to figure out why because it hasn't all been cap related deals. Some have been ego finger printing deals..which happens but is so absurd. Some have probably salary saving deals for Rocky which I understand but Rocky has also weaved his own web letting McDonut make certain decisions which he shouldn't have in the first place (ie Huet)

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also don't see Stan as a players GM either. I see him much more of a corporate GM. which never works out.

I have often wondered what Campbell meant when he said it is nice playing for a team where you don't have to feel like you are walking on eggshells.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thoughts?

If not for his father, and the McD love of his father, he wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Although he had the DNA, he didn't have the qualifications to even play GM in this league.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If not for his father, and the McD love of his father, he wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Although he had the DNA, he didn't have the qualifications to even play GM in this league.

It appeared to me that Stan was great at what he did before but he is nothing more then that.

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
those same Cap numbers that everyone refers to as "Cap Hell"?? yeah........

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
but but...he's fixing his own mistakes, and labeling them as Dale's!!!

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
but but...he's fixing his own mistakes, and labeling them as Dale's!!!

As Havlat said, "hockey players can spot a phoney". They have underestimated the intelligence of a hockey fan. (and I'm not talking the new baseball converts)

Anyone who actually believes that they were in "Cap hell" and had to move all those players should line up to give money to Bernie Madoff to invest for them.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Good GMs have to have a business acumen and education, a bit of a law background OR education, and most of all they have to have a knowledge of what they are managing. I don't believe that Stan could scout a hockey player to save his life. Just because his dad played and coached his whole life, that doesn't mean that Stan had an intimate knowledge of the game or what it takes to be a player or what it takes to build a team. That is a big bonus that Tallon had over him. Stan may have the proper business education and a little bit of experience but he is relying heavily on the hockey knowledge of others.

If you want a good comparison, look to Jerry Angelo. He couldn't draft successfully to save his life. He sucked at college drafting and he sucked at pro scouting. It didn't matter that he made semi-wise decisions to avoid overpaying some players. If you don't assemble the right talent, it doesn't matter how well you balance the checkbook. Being competetive and being a championship winning team are very different.

His real test will be getting a hold of a D-man with Campbell like abilities without having to give up too much or putting himself in a bad position near and long term capwise.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It appeared to me that Stan was great at what he did before but he is nothing more then that.

How did that qualify him to be a NHL general manager with no experience evaluating talent?

R K

you mean manage the Cap numbers and get the QOs out on time?

Shame I kept readin that's exactly where I was going.

Klem it didn't. He was hired because his Daddy was pulling the strings. Qualified my ass. If he was he'd have stayed in the financial field where he was before he was given his "token" position with the Hawks. Yea I said it. Daddy got him that job too.