[A] Roberto Luongo: Chicago's definitely one of them

Would you welcome Roberto Luongo to Chicago?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ton

Liked Posts:
Roberto Luongo was on 99.3 The Fox's "The Jeff O'Neill Show" and endured a 22 minute in-depth interview, most of which is about his future in the NHL.

"I'd rather not talk specific right now," Luongo told CFOX-FM 99.3. "I've always said I like playing in Chicago."

A Red Wings fan called into the show trying to convince Luongo that his best shot at winning a Cup is in Chicago and wondered if he would ever play here.

"That's a good question," Luongo said. "I think there's a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago's definitely one of them. But you have to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decision. It's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there, and if I would be willing to go there."

Later in the show the host asked Luongo about Chelsea Dagger, his reponse: "I like that song -- it's catchy," Luongo said. "I heard it seven times in one game."

Take a step back: In retrospect, Luongo did state that this was his first interview since the L.A. Kings ended his season, it's also obvious that the list of teams interested in his services is a very short list. Read between the lines. Whether the Blackhawks are actually interested in him really holds no water yet, and this could just be a case of his camp "pumping tires" to reach out to teams and hoping someone takes another look. In other words, take it with a grain of salt.

At the same time, there's a lot of smoke behind this rumor at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me to see Stan Bowman look elsewhere after failing to woo Marty Brodeur away from the New Jersey Devils. If Stan is going to make this move, he will either find himself in the unemployment line at this time next year, or nominated for GM of the Year. It's a risk, but this wouldn't be the first time a GM tried to save their job after receiving a lot of pressure from the top of the front office.

Regardless, Stan isn't really known for taking big risks and Luongo is probably the biggest he can take. The contract coupled with the fact that he is portrayed as the villain in Chicago certainly works against him from both a marketing standpoint and a business standpoint. Then again, the Blackhawks did take a similar risk on Carcillo, granted that wasn't as much of a financial risk, but Chicago fans didn't really have a huge issue with that. It seems like a long-shot, but certainly not impossible.

Click here to view the article

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

R K

I'd actually take a shot on him. Then again that's just me. I gave Carcillo a chance as well.

Ask Willie Mitchell how it is to play outside of that organization.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea... Luongo really is a good goalie. Just don't know why they'd want to tie up that much cap space in a goalie, long term, again.

Worried about him being a headcase in the playoffs though, still a hell of an upgrade over Crawford.

I think you said it the other day, RK. It would be hilarious to see him come here and win a Cup before any of those pukes in Vancouver won one.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Yea... Luongo really is a good goalie. Just don't know why they'd want to tie up that much cap space in a goalie, long term, again.

Worried about him being a headcase in the playoffs though, still a hell of an upgrade over Crawford.

I think you said it the other day, RK. It would be hilarious to see him come here and win a Cup before any of those pukes in Vancouver won one.

I think that's just about the only reason I would ever want to see him in the Indian head... but for 12 more years? OUCH!

R K

yea the 9 years is the deterent for sure. Like I said I'm torn either way, but I do not trust Crawford.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
yea the 9 years is the deterent for sure. Like I said I'm torn either way, but I do not trust Crawford.

That's my issue also. Unfortunately, there's nothing better and available out there.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I'd actually take a shot on him. Then again that's just me. I gave Carcillo a chance as well.

Ask Willie Mitchell how it is to play outside of that organization.

I am slowly warming up to the player in chicago but the contract scares me.

R K

I am slowly warming up to the player in chicago but the contract scares me.

Yea I think that's the biggest issue, although the Cap hit is only 5.2 mil. That said if Rocky was willing to eat the last three years I'd do it in a heart beat. Definitely a HUGE upgrade in goal. how much of Lou's choke was LOU, verses the team imploding in front of him. Think about it. Everytime they fell apart the TEAM was playing dumb and hanging him out to dry.

He got them to the finals the year before last. Thomas happened to be better and his TEAM did not score goals for him. I don't remember him ever choking a game away like Crawford did twice in the playoffs last year in OT.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the trade was right, I'd pull the trigger.

Dude was one game from the cup.

If Vancouver expects #88 in return, they can go suck a golf ball thru a garden hose.

Ton

Liked Posts:
If you get Lou, I think you still have to keep Crawford. If Rocky is comfortable with $6,714,000 for 6 more years before his salary drops to $3,382,000 and then nearly $1M for the remaining 3 seasons.

Here's something to consider: After Luongo is traded, his NTC will no longer apply therefore can be traded anywhere, which really increases his value down the line for a potential team paying a lower salary (last 4 years) to reach the cap floor.

Here's the bad news: He's 33. By the time his salary drops, he'll be around 40 years old. How many more years can he really last and will Rocky want to pay him $6.7M past 35 years old?

It's a high risk, high reward scenario. This could save Stan's job in the immediate present but it may not be up to him with Rocky dishing out the dough. It would just make more sense to go after Bernier or someone else that carries a lower risk and possibly good reward.

R K

Rocky would have to be willing to eat his last few years and send him off to the minors, which is the crux.

And before anyone "slams" management for thinking about this, Tallon is very high on him as well and trying to work out a deal. He must have some interest and if Dale has interest there is a reason!!

R K

If the trade was right, I'd pull the trigger.

Dude was one game from the cup.

If Vancouver expects #88 in return, they can go suck a golf ball thru a garden hose.

Yea no superstars going back. Although I'm sure Burke and Tallon are not offerring any either. Hjarlmarsson would work and you knock 3.5 of of Lous hit in return for at least two more years.

The Mule

Liked Posts:
I hate all of you for even thinking anything positive about this. You're all jerks. JERKS!

However, to those of you who are still haters, I salute you.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I'm in the No camp for reasons that aren't secret. I don't like him. Probably a lot of that has to do with the product of his environment like RK said but still...there is something about him I just don't like.

Better than Craw? Yes..but 3 million dollars per year for 7 more years better? Not sure. Obviously that 10 mill salary is done and it goes back to a somewhat respectable 6.7 for the next 7 years. " somewhat respectable"..it's still too much and too long. I think if we were looking at the right now..then yah it's a gamble that might be worth it. If we are throwing the future in there also I think the Hawks can find a better option and save that money to put in different areas. That's just me. I get both sides of the argument.

I'm not completely sold in Crawford as a number one but I am also not completely unsold. Consistency is his problem..can't find that without playing more. Lou has consistency issues also...it's not like he isn't imune. And he too collapses at the wrong time and he has experience over Crawford. Product of the environment or not a mentally strong goalie? Probably a little of both.

And again I am not sure if everyone in the dressing room likes the guy and vice versa. Yes they are pros and I am sure they can gell and let the air simmer.

RK....he doesn't like you.

R K

There is no doubt he doesn't like me! Although he may like the banter. Obrien didn't like me yet paid me my 100 bucks. Like I said Lou is a riot for taking the shit I hand his way and always still being nice to me.

R K

I hate all of you for even thinking anything positive about this. You're all jerks. JERKS!

However, to those of you who are still haters, I salute you.

All I give a shit about is my team. If I think a player is going to help verses the player here, I don't fucking care about previous shit. I'd take Kesler if he were availabe. Holy fuck would that solve our Center position. That said as long as he's a Canuck, fuck him. Take that Suck fuck jersey off, I'll consider anything!

The Mule

Liked Posts:
All I give a shit about is my team. If I think a player is going to help verses the player here, I don't fucking care about previous shit. I'd take Kesler if he were availabe. Holy fuck would that solve our Center position. That said as long as he's a Canuck, fuck him. Take that Suck fuck jersey off, I'll consider anything!

We are now mortal enemies. I challenge you to a fight. It could be a fistfight, leg wrestling, whatever. No weapons though. Want to keep it classy.