[A] Roberto Luongo: Chicago's definitely one of them

Would you welcome Roberto Luongo to Chicago?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Variable

Liked Posts:
From team to team. I'm not saying that there is all the same likelihood of scoring from anywhere on the ice, I'm saying from team to team, the quality of their shots do not differ from each other as much as you would think. Even if somehow they did, the rate of shots the Hawks had in that series, especially when the games were tied (where they outshot the Coyotes by something crazy like 70% more) and how they controlled the play for the majority of all those games, the advantage of that is huge. Smith just outplayed the Hawks and Crawford. That match up was the difference.

And it's backed up by the rest of the playoff, it wasn't just the Hawks. Not really saying much to outplay Crawford, but Rinne? Yeah. And doing the best you could against a very good defensive team in LA that doesn't let up a ton of shots when your team has an already below average offense and on the other hand LA has got a firing squad on your ass almost every game? The only time the Coyotes scored more than 2 goals and put up at or more than the league average of shots in that series was, unfortunately for them, the same game their defense let up over 50 shots on goal for Smith and, consequently, was the end of their playoff run. Sounds like a similar narrative throughout most of the playoffs for him. Sounds like it was more than just the Hawks and their "shot quality" that had a tough time scoring on him.

Just for comparison's sake, during the playoffs, he faced on average over 10 more shots a game than Quick did, his team averaged the least amount of shots per game, gave up by far the most shots per game, and was last in time differential of PP/PK, meaning he faced a whole more PKs than he was able to "rest easy" by being in the power play that every other goalie in the playoffs were given more of. Whereas the flip side of that, LA was number one in that and was top 3 in the other categories as well, on the other end of the spectrum from Phoenix. Now do I think Mike Smith is really that good? Not really, he will almost certainly regress, but for that playoffs, he was that good. It wasn't just the Hawks making him look good.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Here's an idea to fuck with VAN-

Keep in mind, I know nothing other than his AHL numbers.

Offer their RFA minor league goalie Eddie Lack an NHL one way contract...2yrs-3mil (1.5per).,.would cost them. 3rd round pick

He's put up pretty good numbers.. A .926% and .925% the last 2yrs. He's 6'5 185lbs swede.

If VAN matches, they'd have 3 goalies making how much this year? I don't know if the guy any good though

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Offer their RFA minor league goalie Eddie Lack an NHL one way contract...2yrs-3mil (1.5per).,.would cost them. 3rd round pick

He's put up pretty good numbers.. A .926% and .925% the last 2yrs. He's 6'5 185lbs swede.

If VAN matches, they'd have 3 goalies making how much this year? I don't know if the guy any good though

Me likey.

tumblr_m489zqiGBH1rvkjxdo1_500.jpg

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He outplayed Markstrom in the 2OT playoff loss I saw this spring.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Shot prevention... lol.

Watch the Phoenix series again, who cares if they outshot them (due to puck possession) when all the pucks were going straight into Smith's bread basket. Sharp specifically had many chances to bury the puck and either missed the net or stuffed it straight into Smith. Poor shot allocation by a mile, and it hurt this team as much as the defense and goaltending. Can't excuse the two goals Crawford let in OT, but holy shit shot prevention means nothing when it's the high quality chances that get through (neither of the OT goals were high quality, but there were plenty before OT). I promise if you start actually watching the games instead of looking at the scoresheet you'll start to see the holes on defense and most of those quality shots came in transition due to poor neutral zone turnovers.

Crawford was below average, I'll give you that, but the defense was poor at best all season -- and it wasn't due to the fact that they couldn't play defense, it was due to the fact that they had difficulty penetrating the neutral zone. Many times the D and Craw were left out to dry due to a transition turnover that kept them caught. This is just one example of many.

There is no accurate stat that will explain that portion of the game. If there was I would use it. Just goes to show that hockey is a game that can't rely on stats the way it is currently presented. In that respect, they are light years behind football, but to their credit it is also a much faster paced game.

Can the Hawks improve in goaltending? Yes. Can they improve their team defense? Yes. If both improve, in turn so will their PK. As far as the PP, that is all on the core.

Careful Ton, I barked up this tree earlier in the thread (or some other thread). Somethings people just won't get.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Variable, for the "quality shot argument", what are you deeming a shots quality on?

I watched other teams play, and some teams didn't give up as many inside prime scoring area shots that the Hawks did.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
sharp was Fucking dismal that series. worst hockey he has played in his career. we can bitch about the goalies that series until the moon dies. sharp was hot garbage all over the ice and that was a huge problem when the team already lacked lw production and just suuucked after Hossa went down. in my opinion sharp was the worst player on the ice that series out shitting Crawford. wasn't acceptable for a vet who is seen as a team leader. But it got swept under the carpet thanks to Crawford drastic ot games...which he had a huge part in getting the team too.

Sharp flat out didnt do jack shit Fuck all in any games. He was a huge disappointment and went into his usual MIA at the exact wrong time that time around.

R K

Shot prevention... lol.

Watch the Phoenix series again, who cares if they outshot them (due to puck possession) when all the pucks were going straight into Smith's bread basket. Sharp specifically had many chances to bury the puck and either missed the net or stuffed it straight into Smith. Poor shot allocation by a mile, and it hurt this team as much as the defense and goaltending. Can't excuse the two goals Crawford let in OT, but holy shit shot prevention means nothing when it's the high quality chances that get through (neither of the OT goals were high quality, but there were plenty before OT). I promise if you start actually watching the games instead of looking at the scoresheet you'll start to see the holes on defense and most of those quality shots came in transition due to poor neutral zone turnovers.

Crawford was below average, I'll give you that, but the defense was poor at best all season -- and it wasn't due to the fact that they couldn't play defense, it was due to the fact that they had difficulty penetrating the neutral zone. Many times the D and Craw were left out to dry due to a transition turnover that kept them caught. This is just one example of many.

There is no accurate stat that will explain that portion of the game. If there was I would use it. Just goes to show that hockey is a game that can't rely on stats the way it is currently presented. In that respect, they are light years behind football, but to their credit it is also a much faster paced game.

Can the Hawks improve in goaltending? Yes. Can they improve their team defense? Yes. If both improve, in turn so will their PK. As far as the PP, that is all on the core.

You must have missed game 6 then.

Not that I totally disagree with you but that said, our goalie couldn't even stop the EASY shots!

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
He outplayed Markstrom in the 2OT playoff loss I saw this spring.

Would you give more than that...the 1.5/3rd round pick?

It would mess with VAN in other ways...if they were going to move Luongo to FLA - they would have to take Clemmonson or Theodore back. Again...signing Lack to the one-way deal...means that they would still have 3 at the NHL level. Is he NHL ready?

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It would mess with VAN in other ways...if they were going to move Luongo to FLA - they would have to take Clemmonson or Theodore back. Again...signing Lack to the one-way deal...means that they would still have 3 at the NHL level. Is he NHL ready?

I only saw him in that game, but from what I have heard, he's expected to back Schneider up if/when Luongo goes.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I likey too and would love to see it happen but, a move like that is out of the realm of reality with a Mr. Stan Bowman as GM.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

Either way, it's moot.

We can't do an offer sheet because of the Oduya trade (unless you give money high enough ti warrant first round picks)

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
trade this grease ball already. who the hell is sitting on their asses with this one now? is it florida or the canucks?

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
No the greatest ever is Lou himself. Maybe he took Florida off his list of teams he would be traded to and added the 86/87 Edmonton Oilers instead?