Johnny Oduya

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah I wanna be a bald late 30s guy with ADD, OCD, NWO, NWA, PCP and LOL and whatever acronym for your fucked up head.
funny, that's exactly how I picture you! haha. I keeeeed I keeed.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
insp_captkirk_5_.jpg

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
funny, that's exactly how I picture you! haha. I keeeeed I keeed.

HA! There was a pic of me when I brought out the Jesus Havlat poster, but pretty much, he has me pegged...He just needed to add a physique that resembles a garbage bag of wet oatmeal.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well then... you guys are perfect for each other... if he won't come out of the basement for Lampshade, maybe you could do it. It would explain so much. haha.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Oduya was playing bottom pairing minutes in Winnipeg, but in Chicago he's in the top four? He can't play the PP. He's not even an average PK guy. He's a left handed shot which the Hawks have plenty of. The only thing he does moderately well is move the puck, but that's only when he's not being forechecked and hit. Even then, Seabrook, Leddy, and Keith are all better passers or puck movers. What, exactly, is Oduya's strength?

Maybe that's why Atlantapeg sucks?

He's always's gotten around 20min a game...was top 2 in NJ in 08-09 when they had 106pts/won their division...was top 4 in 09-10 there

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Top 4 is reletive on this team... it's basically Seabs and Keith and everyone else on any given day.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Yeah...Hawks need a guy that can play 20min a game..and at 3.3mil...I think it's a good signing

If he was making 4plus/etc...I'd be skeptical

R K

Yeah...Hawks need a guy that can play 20min a game..and at 3.3mil...I think it's a good signing

Yea I agree, and had he waited, going UFA, I'd bet he'd have gotten 5 some where.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
By what Carle and Vlasic just signed for I'd almost guarantee it.

Both are twice the player Oduya is. I had no problems with Oduya until the end of the season and the playoffs. He turned into hot garbage at that point. If he can play how he played when first acquired, it's an OK signing. I still don't understand what he brings to the defense.

R K

Vlasic is not twice the defenseman. Give me a break. Carle is better on the back end. He'd have gotten over 5 on the market. No question.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

I think that's essentially what the OP had in mind when he made the thread, and I agree.

It's a fine line honestly. I tend to agree that had he went UFA he would have made a lot more, but maybe not, and at what cost. The reason those guys made more in my opinion is not cause they are that much better but the law of supply and demand kicked in. They can thank people like Johnny for resigning. had he gone UFA with a couple more other guys, the talent pool would still be just as low and the supply higher. Prices would have come down, then you have no idea where you are going. The players out there who are better still get signed before him by better teams for less cash, then the less desirable teams start scrambling and paying more but overall the total values are done so now when it's Oduya's time to get picked, sure he's going to probably get a little more like... 4.. 4+, but he's probably not going to a team as good as the Hawks, so in the end the real decision is staying for less.... staying for a lot less and a unknown maybe crappier team.

At the end of the day if I'm a player, I probably selfishly always go for the biggest contract though. Play my heart out ever day and hope the team either turns around or I get traded at the deadline. Because come the next contract, you more likely are going to get a raise if you do well either way. I'm sure most of them are just happy to be in the league like I would be.