Blackhawks add former Kings assistant to coaching staff

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I would say most recent. I don't know much on his scouting.

His first rounders include:

93-95 (Ducks as assistant GM): Paul Kariya, Oleg Tverdovsky, Chad Kilger, selected Mikhail Shtalenkov as well.

95-97: (Senators): Chris Phillips, Marian Hossa, Matheiu Chouinard, another notable player picked is Mike Fisher in the second round.

98-02: (Ducks): Michael Holmqvist, Vitali Vishnevski, Jordan Leopold (2nd round), Alexei Smirnov, Stan Chistov, Joffrey Lupul

2010-11 (Canadiens): Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu

I'd say his sightings of player talent aren't that bad. It's coaching talent he has issues with, most notably hiring Pierre Page as Ducks HC, when a lot of Duck fans were completely against the move.... I'd also count Craig Hartsburg, but I am sure people here might throw the hate-o-rade on me for saying that. I have no clue how the board here feels about him, but I can assure you, as a Ducks fan at the time, I didn't consider him a band-aid for the gigantic mess they had at the time.

As Ducks GM, he really didn't draft well. With the exception of Lupul and if you count Jordan Leopold who never wore a Ducks jersey, his worst stretch of drafting was during his tenure as the Ducks GM between 98-02. Stan Chistov was one of the worst forwards to this day that the Ducks ever drafted.

His Ducks picks in 95' were the most atrocious in the lot, especially since there were 8 NHL future All-Stars on the board at that time (Kiprusoff, Kuba, Robidas, Doan, Kapanen, Savard, Iginla and Giguere). How you take Chad Kilger over Jarome Iginla is beyond me.

What does this say about my opinion of Gauthier? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Just keep him the hell away from the Front Office, and I will be ok with this move.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Sometimes I think assistant coaches are massively overrated. I would hope Q would have significant input into all facets of the game plan. Assistant coaches always seem to get much more blame or credit than they actually deserve. Haviland was cheered by many including me. But what impact did he have? It's hard to quantify. Look at LA, Sutter takes over and the whole team goes from lifeless to a beast. The assistant coaches didn't change the players responded to Sutter. Head coaching matters more, and the players are really what matter.

And I completely disagree with that. There's a reason Kitchen was getting the blame for the special teams. Because Q gave him that responsibility! Head coaches don't run every particular unit of a team. Most coaches have a coach who runs the offense and one for the defense. Depending on the head coach and his preferred way of coaching, most Micro-Manage and focus more on the game than individual things. The assistants are watching for positioning mistakes instead of in game tendencies.

For a coach, to have a guy who's opinion you respect and his understanding of the game you trust can free your mind and help you concentrate on other aspects such as your teams tactics, the other teams tactics, line matching, line shuffling, motivating etc....

R K

And I completely disagree with that. There's a reason Kitchen was getting the blame for the special teams. Because Q gave him that responsibility! Head coaches don't run every particular unit of a team. Most coaches have a coach who runs the offense and one for the defense. Depending on the head coach and his preferred way of coaching, most Micro-Manage and focus more on the game than individual things. The assistants are watching for positioning mistakes instead of in game tendencies.

For a coach, to have a guy who's opinion you respect and his understanding of the game you trust can free your mind and help you concentrate on other aspects such as your teams tactics, the other teams tactics, line matching, line shuffling, motivating etc....

Like I've said numerous times Q is a little different in that respect. He does almost everything and or has final say over everything. He does not take suggestion from what I've heard. Assistant coaching on the Hawks means very little IMO. Which why Haviland who disagreed with him, is no longer here. Why Smith, who disagreed with him was sent packing. Not only sent packing but it was after a very profound argument AFTER a practice which players knew about. Talk about dysfunction.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His first rounders include:

93-95 (Ducks as assistant GM): Paul Kariya, Oleg Tverdovsky, Chad Kilger, selected Mikhail Shtalenkov as well.

95-97: (Senators): Chris Phillips, Marian Hossa, Matheiu Chouinard, another notable player picked is Mike Fisher in the second round.

98-02: (Ducks): Michael Holmqvist, Vitali Vishnevski, Jordan Leopold (2nd round), Alexei Smirnov, Stan Chistov, Joffrey Lupul

2010-11 (Canadiens): Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu

I'd say his sightings of player talent aren't that bad. It's coaching talent he has issues with, most notably hiring Pierre Page as Ducks HC, when a lot of Duck fans were completely against the move.... I'd also count Craig Hartsburg, but I am sure people here might throw the hate-o-rade on me for saying that. I have no clue how the board here feels about him, but I can assure you, as a Ducks fan at the time, I didn't consider him a band-aid for the gigantic mess they had at the time.

As Ducks GM, he really didn't draft well. With the exception of Lupul and if you count Jordan Leopold who never wore a Ducks jersey, his worst stretch of drafting was during his tenure as the Ducks GM between 98-02. Stan Chistov was one of the worst forwards to this day that the Ducks ever drafted.

His Ducks picks in 95' were the most atrocious in the lot, especially since there were 8 NHL future All-Stars on the board at that time (Kiprusoff, Kuba, Robidas, Doan, Kapanen, Savard, Iginla and Giguere). How you take Chad Kilger over Jarome Iginla is beyond me.

What does this say about my opinion of Gauthier? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Just keep him the hell away from the Front Office, and I will be ok with this move.

Thanks for all that Wolf. Since his new position here has to do with scouting what I meant when I said his "scouting track record" was his actual days as a scout, i.e. the periods between 1981-1993 and 2003-2010 when he was a scout and not so much how he drafted/scouted as a GM. GM scouting/drafting is so heavily dependent on having a crackerjack scouting team.

supraman

Liked Posts:
People said similar things about Torchetti when he left. I'm willing to give him a chance and actually excited to see how this turns out.

I liked Torch

How long until we're the worst franchise in sports again?

When do Kane and Toews become UFAs?

They were 2% better than the Hawks on the PP last season. The Kings were 7th on the PP in 2010 producing at 20%... lets give the guy a chance before shitting on him. This is a much more reasonable hire than Gauthier.

They should (like we should) be in the top of half of PP they aren't. That's coaching. The talent is there, the coaching is misusing the shit out of the talent.

He's in control of the ship. We just have to wait and see if he's Admiral Spruance, or Capt. Hazelwood.

Zap Brannigan

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Local media is piling on, that's good enough for me.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Not to nitpick or anything, but the news article should probably be revised.

poaching him from the Los Angeles Kings coaching staff after winning the 2012 Stanley Cup.

How do you poach someone that is unemployed?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Not to nitpick or anything, but the news article should probably be revised.

How do you poach someone that is unemployed?

same way we poached Q after he got fired from Colorado.