So, If There Is A Delay To The Beginning Of The Season.....

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had an interesting conversation today regarding the upcoming beginning of the season. Well, at least the planned beginning of the season. From a few people I have spoken with it appears from several teams perspectives that the overall feeling is that the season will not begin on time.

With that being said I had an idea come to mind of which I have asked some questions. There could be a significant advantage for you Chicago Blackhawks fans to consider buying tickets early in the season for the Rockford IceHogs. It turns out that if there is a lockout then players with the Blackhawks that have entry level contracts will have the ability to play in Rockford during said delay of the NHL season.

Those players include Leddy, Krueger, Shaw, Hayes, Olsen and Saad.

During the last lockout the Rockford IceHogs were in the UHL and even then we saw Chelios and Derian Hatcher play here against us while suited up for the Motor City Mechanics. Just think who else you would see playing for other teams.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I guess I never thought about how the lockout would affect the hogs... I know those kids would be eligible to play... but would they really? Especially someone like Leddy? What is his incentive to play when he's pretty much a given on D?

R K

No way would Leddy play down there. I also question Kruger as well. Depending on how long the "lockout" is.

If it's a long lock out look for players to get ice time where ever they can to stay in shape. Skating on their own most likely.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't those two skate for Rockford? Could be the difference between developing a step further and putting together a breakout year before their next contract. Or they can skate by themselves and hope they don't lose a step when they haven't played a game in so many months, maybe you could even say "year" if the lockout lasts a year (highly unlikely but still stands)

R K

Because I think having two full seasons for Leddy and one for Kruger would give them the choice and NO player wants to go back there. Ask them.

Not knocking Rockford it's just the way it is. The other players up there don't have a full year in. I believe they'd skate with the other guys, Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, ect ect if given the choice.

I also said it would/could depend on the length of the lock out. Nothing's impossible but it would surprise me.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
No way would Leddy play down there. I also question Kruger as well. Depending on how long the "lockout" is.

If it's a long lock out look for players to get ice time where ever they can to stay in shape. Skating on their own most likely.

Long lockout skating on their own? Highly unlikely.

The top 10 scorers the year after the lockout outside of Crosby (QMJHL), and Eric Staal (AHL) all played over sea's. The older guys typically stay local or skate on their own. The younger guys head out to make some $$ and play.

R K

Long lockout skating on their own? Highly unlikely.

The top 10 scorers the year after the lockout outside of Crosby (QMJHL), and Eric Staal (AHL) all played over sea's. The older guys typically stay local or skate on their own. The younger guys head out to make some $$ and play.

Sould have said Short.

He said "early" in the season. At that point the guys WILL be SKATING on their own.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't those two skate for Rockford? Could be the difference between developing a step further and putting together a breakout year before their next contract. Or they can skate by themselves and hope they don't lose a step when they haven't played a game in so many months, maybe you could even say "year" if the lockout lasts a year (highly unlikely but still stands)

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible anyway. Don't they have to be dropped down to Rockford first, as they are on the Blackhawk's NHL roster? They can't just show up because they are Blackhawk property and play for Rockford. There is a process in place for them being sent down. One that likely wouldn't happen given a lockout.... Even if possible, I see neither of them playing in Rockford. If there's an extended lockout, a lot of guys will be going overseas to play a season.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about just working out with Rockford? A structured workout instead of just skating on their own? Not even sure that's doable, just asking.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible anyway. Don't they have to be dropped down to Rockford first, as they are on the Blackhawk's NHL roster? They can't just show up because they are Blackhawk property and play for Rockford. There is a process in place for them being sent down. One that likely wouldn't happen given a lockout.... Even if possible, I see neither of them playing in Rockford. If there's an extended lockout, a lot of guys will be going overseas to play a season.

Yeah they can... its called a two-way entry level contract. No difference between Nick Leddy and Jimmy Hayes. Travis Moen did it in 2004-05 after playing 82 games for the Blackhawks in 2003-04.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
If there's a lockout at least I have two teams to jerk off to unlike most of you.

Mmm best goaltender in the world and those piercing eyes.

Fuck a lock out..............

whiteevo

Liked Posts:
If any of the boys wanna make the trek to SW michigan i'm sure I could hold a spot or two on either my friday or sunday night mens league teams.

just sayin.

R K

What about just working out with Rockford? A structured workout instead of just skating on their own? Not even sure that's doable, just asking.

Doubt it. Doesn't mean a guy like Paul Goodman won't be working out with them some where.

On a side note most of the team is here right now working out together at the UC with Goodman. Some intense workouts from what I hear.

R K

Yeah they can... its called a two-way entry level contract. No difference between Nick Leddy and Jimmy Hayes. Travis Moen did it in 2004-05 after playing 82 games for the Blackhawks in 2003-04.

While they can those established players like Leddy and Kruger most likely wouldn't. Unless the lockout was say most of the season and they needed to play.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doubt it. Doesn't mean a guy like Paul Goodman won't be working out with them some where.

On a side note most of the team is here right now working out together at the UC with Goodman. Some intense workouts from what I hear.

Well that's good to hear. Thanks.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some assumptions being made on here regarding whether certain players would play in Rockford if there is a lockout.

I will only state that my comments come from within the Blackhawks organization.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I never thought about how the lockout would affect the hogs... I know those kids would be eligible to play... but would they really? Especially someone like Leddy? What is his incentive to play when he's pretty much a given on D?

Hockey players just want to play. If the owners won't let them, they'll find a place. Might as well be the farm, even if it does temporarily take a job from another player.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hockey players just want to play. If the owners won't let them, they'll find a place. Might as well be the farm, even if it does temporarily take a job from another player.

And what if the Blackhawks are asking them to play in Rockford?

Just sayin'