[A] Central Division Failure: Blackhawks Should Reap Rewards

Ton

Liked Posts:
With Shea Weber accepting an offer sheet at an upwards of $100M over 14 years from the Philadelphia Flyers, it has put the Nashville Predators in an incredibly tough spot especially after losing Ryan Suter to the Minnesota Wild. If they decide not to match (which is a real possibility) it's quite clear that the Predators will have to enter a rebuild mode. If they do match, there is a chance that they try to deal him next summer after the one year trade lock expires. No one on the open market can fill the void left by their former world class pairing and it's certain that Pekka Rinne probably won't be able to do it all by himself.

The Predators subtractions coupled with the fact that Niklas Lidstrom has entered retirement along with Brad Stuart and Jiri Hudler leaving Detroit as well as Rick Nash's future under question in Columbus; the Central Division could become significantly weaker next season. Although the Blackhawks have not made any blockbuster deals this off-season, they may not have to with recent developments and certainly have found themselves ahead of the curve.

As it looks, the St. Louis Blues will give Chicago a run for their money after re-signing Barrett Jackman and David Perron, while watching Carlo Colaiacovo test free agency waters. Not much has changed for the 109 point Blues and to their advantage they do have nearly $20M in cap space to spend on improving their club while the Blackhawks hover at nearly $8M. That said, there has to be questions surrounding the Blues extended motivation through a full season under Ken Hitchcock, as many cities have witnessed their teams catch fire under their first years of his guidance only to taper off, and eventually leading to his firing.

There's no question that Stan Bowman has failed in many aspects after riding the coattails of Dale Tallon's Cup winning team in 2010, but this has to be the year that he considers going "all-in" once again after seeing his rivaled opponents weaken over unfortunate circumstances. Stan may be able to stand pat and get by with his current line-up, maybe extending the Blackhawks season (if there is one) by a round or two if he is lucky. But if he really wants to make a large impact and give this team a chance at winning another Cup, he will need to make a move of large magnitude.

In recent weeks, Stan has admitted that the Blackhawks do not plan on improving the center position, which is arguably the biggest weak point within the line-up, and expects someone within the organization to take the bull by the horns and live up to the expectations that come with the 2nd line center slot. This isn't going to fly if he plans on making a deep run. If he continues to display this lackadaisical attitude towards the trade market, there's no way the Blackhawks will win another Cup in his tenure.

We'll see how things play out before the season starts, but after Joel Quenneville replaced Mike Haviland with Jamie Kompon, it's quite clear that the ball is in Joel's court, not Stan's. Unfortunately the pressure lies upon the coaching staff to produce with the group that Bowman has provided, and without the added pressure there is very little hope that he will do much more to improve his "one-and-done" club. Too bad, because if there is any time to be aggressive, it's now.

Click here to view the article

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Nashville would be idiotic not to match.....

That said, the Hawks' roster is not bad compared to other teams. It is what they are getting out of that roster that bothers me.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Nashville would be idiotic not to match.....

That said, the Hawks' roster is not bad compared to other teams. It is what they are getting out of that roster that bothers me.

I'm scared of a Leddy-Oduya second pair defense. Crawford should be even more scared.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I guess we have to hope one our center prospects is ready

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's not all flowers and candy.... I could see Modano signing with Detroit... that's a cup for sure.

sth

Liked Posts:
The Blues have a lot of young players. That playoff experience might serve them well. I really hope guys like McNeil and Kevin Hayes can jump up to the center spot. I know some of you disagree but Kruger sucks. I just don't see him ever being an impact center. I could be wrong. It should be a weakened division, if there is a season.

R K

The Blues have a lot of young players. That playoff experience might serve them well. I really hope guys like McNeil and Kevin Hayes can jump up to the center spot. I know some of you disagree but Kruger sucks. I just don't see him ever being an impact center. I could be wrong. It should be a weakened division, if there is a season.

Kevin Hayes is not leaving college and by judging the end of Ice Hogs season last year McNeil is no where near ready.

Right now Sharp better be playing 2nd line Center.

sth

Liked Posts:
Kevin Hayes is not leaving college and by judging the end of Ice Hogs season last year McNeil is no where near ready.

Wow. I really hope Stan says we don't need a 2nd line center because he tried and couldn't get a deal. Because if he thinks the set up the Hawks have now is acceptable he is worse than I thought. But your right Sharp has to be center and Kane at wing, unfortunately last year Q didn't feel that way.

R K

there were not many Centers available. Can't really fault him for that...

BigPete

Liked Posts:
there were not many Centers available. Can't really fault him for that...

Gaustad...but Nashville didn't really give anyone else a shot at him.

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
MassHavoc' timestamp='1342707710 said:
It's not all flowers and candy.... I could see Modano signing with Detroit... that's a cup for sure.

Yeah, I've heard Modano wants to come back as a Swedish defenseman...grin.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Any 3rd line centers available?

R K

Wow. I really hope Stan says we don't need a 2nd line center because he tried and couldn't get a deal. Because if he thinks the set up the Hawks have now is acceptable he is worse than I thought. But your right Sharp has to be center and Kane at wing, unfortunately last year Q didn't feel that way.

Name me a 2nd line Center available? I can't see any. Stan may suck but you can't just produce a deal if other teams aren't willing to trade them..

Gustad was resigned

Roy was traded for specific Players. Ott going back the other way.

I guess you could have taken a shot at Meuller, but Tallon got him. And he has an injury riddled past.

Centers are hard to come by and always have been. Last year it was Richards and he was about the only one. I can't remember a time we weren't thin at "legitimate" top line Centers. Even during the Cup year which is why Sharp was playing Center. Not sure what the deal was last year with that but it was dumb.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

McNeill looks at least 2 years away. I'm hoping Pirri makes huge leaps this off season.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't froget Stahl. But it was destiny for him to go to Carolina and play with his bro.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is an honest question because i'm really having a brain fart and can't think of who it would be, but who is the last home grown player we've had that had significant development time in Rockford, and then came up to be an impact player? As in top 6ish, top 2/3 man..?