[A] LEAVE BOWMAN ALONE!

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
My very first question that I have for people who have jumped on the bandwagon of hating Bowman is, what were his options this off-season? Yes, the Hawks admitted to being one of the teams going after Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, but at the end of the day, they both agreed to be closer to home (one being home) in Minnesota. To put blame on Bowman for not signing either of them is asinine considering another 28 GMs didn’t get them to ink their contracts either. Outside of those two skaters, this year’s FA pool is below average at best and there are not many options that would really be an upgrade over what the Hawks currently have. Plus, for the amount of money that is being thrown at these FA’s, it’s probably best that the Hawks stayed away. With 7.7 million dollars in cap space the Hawks can be rest assured that they have the space if a potential trade comes along. Also, not signing these guys to long overvalued contracts shows my next point…

The Hawks are no longer in need of “Band-Aid” type players. These would be your Brunettes, O’Donnell’s, Pisani’s, Cullimore’s, or Boynton’s. Unless a potential acquisition/signing is going to fill a hole in the lineup (see Brookbank) or stick around for some years (such as a Hossa) the Hawks aren’t in the business of bringing them into the organization. What does this mean? It means Stan Bowman has done his job in building a farm system and some, if not many are not too far away (i.e. jumping in this season or next). Guys such as Mark McNeill and Phillip Danault from last year’s draft could be playing C for the Hawks as early as this season (but will more than likely finish their final year of juniors). Brandon Saad will no doubt be playing for the Hawks this next season on the left side wing. Adam Clendening will be going to Rockford to start the season, but Bowman has said the defenseman is not too far off from making the big club. Kevin Hayes still has 2 more years of NCAA hockey left, but after that one would expect him to be ready for the NHL, if not a small amount of seasoning in the AHL. Stephen Johns (defense, NCAA) who is a solid stay-at-home defenseman with a physical edge may be ready in a year or so as well. But let’s not forget the Rockford crew of Pirri, Morin, Smith, and Kyle Beach that may get a chance throughout the upcoming season as well. As you can see, there really isn’t a need to bring in a player (unless a 2[sup]nd[/sup] line center) for this upcoming season with so many young players not too far off from playing in the pros. Plus, many of them with their contracts may cost less than a “Band-Aid’ player when called up.

My last point I like to bring up is, look what Bowman HAS done this off-season. The Hawks brought in Sheldon Brookbank, who I believe will be a huge upgrade for the Hawks defense. While he’s only going to be a 5[sup]th[/sup]/6[sup]th[/sup] defenseman, Brookbank is going to fill a void on the back six with his gritty and physical play. Outside of Seabrook, the Hawks have lacked a physical presence on the back end for a couple seasons (O’Donnell only counts as a physical presence when the opposition accidentally ran into him, which wasn’t much). Not only will Brookbank make the opposition pay for taking the puck to the net, he’s willing to drop the mitts and defend his teammates. Brookbank can also play the penalty kill, and that will give guys like Seabs and Keith a much needed breather (both averaged more than 2 minutes a game in shorthanded minutes) and will keep Leddy hopefully off the PK entirely (he’s not a defensive defenseman). Outside of Brookbank I assume people are saying “Hey, Bowman hasn’t added anybody else” and that’s exactly another point for this argument. Outside of a 2[sup]nd[/sup] line center (which they have one, and his name is Patrick Sharp. He won the cup as a 2[sup]nd[/sup] line center, so who cares what he wants to play, just do what’s best for the team and keep Kane at RW and Sharp at C) the Hawks don’t need much to be contenders for the Stanley Cup. With the depth the Hawks have, adding another player to the currently crowded depth chart wouldn’t benefit anyone, especially the younger guys who need that ice time.

So in a certain way, Bowman did a lot this off-season. He filled a hole in the lineup on defense, he stayed away from overpriced lengthy contracts, didn’t bring in any Band-Aid players, didn’t lose any core players, is trusting that his lineup he has now will be ready for the start of the season (pending any CBA issues) and that the younger players he’s invested in potentially have a spot for this season, or next. So step off that ledge and relax as this isn’t a bad off-season for the Hawks. It really could be a lot worse. Hey, at least we’re not Detroit.

Click here to view the article

Ton

Liked Posts:
Hard to disagree that Bowman did well in avoiding a long-term big $$ contract, very well a contract that would not of helped the Hawks unless it was Parise or Suter, which we know there was no chance of that after they decided to hold hands and skip to Minnesota.

But as far as the trade market, there certainly is a ton of options out there.

Where was Stan when Derek Roy was traded to the Stars?

Where was Stan when Ribiero was traded to Washington for spare parts?

Where was Stan when van Riemsdyk was traded for Luke Schenn?

There are some pieces available via trade. One of the few could be Plekanec and I haven't heard a peep from the Blackhawks regarding that. The fact is: they are truly incompetent because they refuse to address the teams needs and truly believe that "we are fine"

Is that because they don't want to sell the farm? Well, I personally believe they have enough to give. You really think McNeill, Saad, Beach, Danault, K. Hayes, Morin, Smith, Pirri, will all make the Hawks within the next 5 years? That's 8 forwards right there without counting J. Hayes and Shaw this past season along with Teravainen and Calnan this past draft. Not to mention guys like David Gilbert, Rob Flick, and maybe even the Broadhurst brothers still showing that they can earn a shot at some point. This isn't even mentioning our defensive depth in the system, which is absolutely unnecessary where there are like 5-6 guys that will probably make the NHL, and another 2-3 that still have decent potential.

I understand they want competition throughout the entire system, but at this point there are bigger needs on the big club where it would make sense to create a package around someone like Hammer and fill the gigantic gaping hole that is just becoming a distraction at this point.

bri

Liked Posts:
I didn't jump on the Bandwagon. I have never liked him.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
What "Steve Ott" did Stan have for Roy? Would you have wanted Bolland...Shaw moved for him? Saad?

Same with Ribero? What did DAL ask Stan for...that he didn't want to part with? How many trades has Niewendyk made with his conference? Funny how he moves his guys to the East...Ribiero, Grossman, Neal...

JVR? They traded Schenn....the only physical Dman to offer - Seabrook. Hjarllmarsson wasn't going to get JVR. And what top prospect with size did Burke want for Schenn? Saad? McNeil? Then Stan would've been questioned there.

He offered Bolland, Hjarll to get Staal...Pitt wanted Olsen instead of Hjall. But Staal wasn't going to sign any extension/wanted to play with his brother. Should he still have made that trade?

It's BS to say he shouldve made the same deals other made when no one has any clue what may/may not have been discussed with players going the other way.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
There are some pieces available via trade. One of the few could be Plekanec and I haven't heard a peep from the Blackhawks regarding that. The fact is: they are truly incompetent because they refuse to address the teams needs and truly believe that "we are fine"

<

That's funny, considering how vehemently you defend the coaching staff as of late. The same could be said of the coaching staff not getting the most out of the core talent that IS there. Yes, there are holes, but there are also holes created by slotting players incorrectly in the lineup...

Also, absolutely NOBODY can judge a GM for NOT making trades, as we have zero idea what the fuck is out there or being asked for. All you can judge a GM on is drafting, the trades they DO make, and their FA signings. Bowman hasn't set the world on fire, but incompetent? Hardly fair to say that, at this point. This season will be the tipping point either way, from coaching all the way on up to Rocky.

R K

Last I checked Roy had surgery and was out until at least December, maybe longer.

Pez has it right on a couple of fronts, this is the season to prove they can do it. If they don't it will wind up being Rocky's decision what to do. Also Stans time of Judgement will come with his draft picks. You can Judge Tallon by both after the fact though as his team won the Cup. Maybe you can judge Stan at some point like that as well. As of right now, you can't.

PMX has it right as well as CBJ was CLEARLY NOT dealing in the division and Dallas HAS rarely traded within the Conference. Both of those are quite well known.

R K

Hard to disagree that Bowman did well in avoiding a long-term big $$ contract, very well a contract that would not of helped the Hawks unless it was Parise or Suter, which we know there was no chance of that after they decided to hold hands and skip to Minnesota.

But as far as the trade market, there certainly is a ton of options out there.

Where was Stan when Derek Roy was traded to the Stars?

Where was Stan when Ribiero was traded to Washington for spare parts?

Where was Stan when van Riemsdyk was traded for Luke Schenn?

Is that because they don't want to sell the farm? Well, I personally believe they have enough to give. You really think McNeill, Saad, Beach, Danault, K. Hayes, Morin, Smith, Pirri, will all make the Hawks within the next 5 years? That's 8 forwards right there without counting J. Hayes and Shaw this past season along with Teravainen and Calnan this past draft. Not to mention guys like David Gilbert, Rob Flick, and maybe even the Broadhurst brothers still showing that they can earn a shot at some point. This isn't even mentioning our defensive depth in the system, which is absolutely unnecessary where there are like 5-6 guys that will probably make the NHL, and another 2-3 that still have decent potential.

I understand they want competition throughout the entire system, but at this point there are bigger needs on the big club where it would make sense to create a package around someone like Hammer and fill the gigantic gaping hole that is just becoming a distraction at this point.

Until you know whats going on during his cell phone conversations you can't ask those questions.

How do you know what they did or didn't do. What do you want them to say. Right now, with no changes they can still finish in the top five in the league and last year were 4 games from winning the Presidents trophy, while missing arguably one of the best two way players in the game for 1/4 of the season.

I wouldn't "assume" Stan has not been trying to add people, but again how do you know what other GM's are asking for in return, with a still very young GM? I can tell you one thing from what I've heard most are asking for part of the CORE back! Your "young talent" doesn't fly like that in trades for proven NHLers coming back the other way.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I simply don't like when non hockey guys get key hockey jobs. A guy that never played the game and gets in the system due to daddies last name? Yah something has never sat right there with me. Would help his image with guys like me if he actually took to the interviews more so we could get an idea of who he is. Represent himself and the team a bit more..give me a sound bite at the very least. This guy is so timid it bores the organisation.

I'm not really concerned about what he didn't do as far as the free agency. Don't really care if he hasn't pulled off a big trade (who knows what actually goes down in these trade talks). He simply bores me to death and has zero charisma. I'm still giving him this season to really "run" the club. Still giving him time as the spring chicken he is. He has to be more of a face to the org this season though.

sth

Liked Posts:
I just don't get a good feeling from Stan. No GM is perfect. Lord knows Tallon had some poor moves. But he seemed to bring in not only talented guys but good team guys. The kind of guys that are good for a room, that gave the team life an energy that really came out in the cup run. The guys Stan has brought in don't have that same vibe. It's almost like they match his personality. Now the minors I will reserve judgement on. But I just can't feel confident in Stan. It's just a feeling I get.

R K

I just don't get a good feeling from Stan. No GM is perfect. Lord knows Tallon had some poor moves. But he seemed to bring in not only talented guys but good team guys. The kind of guys that are good for a room, that gave the team life an energy that really came out in the cup run. The guys Stan has brought in don't have that same vibe. It's almost like they match his personality. Now the minors I will reserve judgement on. But I just can't feel confident in Stan. It's just a feeling I get.

Tallon also learned on the job though. From year one to year 6 were quite different. Also Tallon was much further under the 8 ball so to say as when he took over NO ONE wanted to play in Chicago. Not ONE SINGLE NHL PLAYER unless massively over paid was coming to Chicago. Kind of like Dubinsky in Columbus. You know he's saying "holy fuck" how did I get here right now.

sth

Liked Posts:
Tallon also learned on the job though. From year one to year 6 were quite different. Also Tallon was much further under the 8 ball so to say as when he took over NO ONE wanted to play in Chicago. Not ONE SINGLE NHL PLAYER unless massively over paid was coming to Chicago. Kind of like Dubinsky in Columbus. You know he's saying "holy fuck" how did I get here right now.

Yeah Lapointe, Auccoin, Cullimore, Khabibulin had to be overpaid to get them here. I don't blame Tallon at all for that. And he took a chance Havlat who wouldn't have come here if not for his injury problems. Bowman has it easier that way for sure.

bri

Liked Posts:
He's very weasely. Does not inspire trust.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Ton, I should of added that part into my blog, but I felt it was somewhat answered already, and RK (I know!) and PMX both mentioned it already:

Outside of what some reliable members of the press tell us, we don't know what Bowman has done on a daily basis in regards to player acquisitions.

JVR we didn't have the physical d Philly more than likely wanted.

Riberio went out of Conference, doubt they would give up a guy who has that much skill to a team who could be DEADLY with a 2nd line center like that (We do play Dallas at least twice a year).

Roy might have been a good fit here, but we don't know what Buffalo wanted for him. They maybe wanted Sharp or Kane and Bowman would not fly for that, and to be honest, I wouldn't pull the trigger on that kind of trade for Kane or Sharp (I know crazy right).

I think this offseason has not been bad. It's been good compared to other teams especially within our division.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Also, I am fully prepared for this article to get less than 3 stars.

I went with an unpopular angle and to be honest, a lot of it is factually true.

R K

Anything Buffalo's owner would have requested stars with KA and ends with NE....

It's been widely suggested in Sabre land they get him home. Which was the plan with Miller last year. They are in the middle of trying to rejuvinate their fan base. Half of all Sabre STH's come from Toronto. New Ownership has said they will spare no expense and Kane is no expense.

That's why I laugh at our dumb ass fans that suggest they trade Kane while there's value. They are fucking morons there will ALWAYS be value there. Unfortunately it will be going the other way, not coming back to the Hawks in equivelent talent.

R K

Also, I am fully prepared for this article to get less than 3 stars.

I went with an unpopular angle and to be honest, a lot of it is factually true.

I'm not a big Bowman fan and I think 100% it was scum bag the way he conspired with Mcdonough to get rid of Tallon. That said I am still a fan of this team and still believe it's far to early to grade him. Although his time of grading is coming soon, not necessarily in drafts, but in the fact he will be three seasons removed from building half the team.

Quenneville needs to prove he can play players where they belong and get the MOST out of those players playing. Even those that have their name on the Stanley Cup, including Kaner...

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I simply don't like when non hockey guys get key hockey jobs. A guy that never played the game and gets in the system due to daddies last name? Yah something has never sat right there with me. Would help his image with guys like me if he actually took to the interviews more so we could get an idea of who he is. Represent himself and the team a bit more..give me a sound bite at the very least. This guy is so timid it bores the organisation.

I'm not really concerned about what he didn't do as far as the free agency. Don't really care if he hasn't pulled off a big trade (who knows what actually goes down in these trade talks). He simply bores me to death and has zero charisma. I'm still giving him this season to really "run" the club. Still giving him time as the spring chicken he is. He has to be more of a face to the org this season though.

Gretzky had a lot to say in picks in AZ....how'd that work out? Or Garth Snow? You want Bob Murray back?

What was Dean Lombardi other than Pully's son in law?

Chuck Fletcher other than Cliff's son?

David Poile was an Admin Assistant to start in hockey.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Gretzky had a lot to say in picks in AZ....how'd that work out? Or Garth Snow? You want Bob Murray back?

What was Dean Lombardi other than Pully's son in law?

Chuck Fletcher other than Cliff's son?

David Poile was an Admin Assistant to start in hockey.

Who said I would take any of those fools? At least those guys talk /talked and represent their team infront of media and fans. Where you learn how shitty of a mind they have for the GM side. Stans afraid to or is held back from doing so incase we the fans and others might actually discover something negative. Stan needs to be more fucking vocal about this club...represent it as a GM should. Answer the tough fucking questions and take his lumps along the way when they come..and also play the humor card here and there..make himself likeable image wise because as far as the rest of the front office...no one likes them. Staying quiet and invisible in the back will be read into as someone who doesn't give a shit about on ice product. As a fan that is insulting. I have never seen a GM so invisible as Stan as far as representing the team and his job and title. May be different in Chicago but if in Canada where you get sound bites from every GM through the year trying to find one with Stan is impossible...they don't exist. And I highly doubt its because the Canadian hockey media has little interest in the Hawks org. Dale bites were easy to find.

Two years in I still don't know who the fuck Stan Bowman is and what he thinks about the culture of the game, the league and the team. All I know of him is he is the accountant son of Scotty Bowman... and that is frustrating. You would think he would like to separate himself from that a little and become his own person with a real individual identity...show some damn passion for the game. Guess not. Playing it safe...much ike how he has ran the team thus far.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Their plan has been to build through the draft. And since the Cup year, it's what they've done. He's held on to his picks, identified the core and by signing the retreads on the 1yr deals...doesn't lock them into long term to where it may block a "prospect"

But...prospects take time. And not making a big trade isn't fun or sexy. I think it's more fun making the trade or signing as well - but probably not the best. There hasn't been a FA the last 2 years that without breaking the bank..would have been a perfect fit.

I think the trust has been put into the scouting staff (Mark Kelley to be exact) to draft well and let them develop. The playoff failures the last 2 years has as much to do with the lack of health in the playoffs as anything.

For not making a huge trade - the better/smarter thing to do is probably not make one out of panic/overpay (again, not as fun...but probably right). But if McNeil, K.Hayes are 1 more year away...would trading away a prospect for a 1yr fix be worth it? I don't know the answer to that.

When he says he's happy with his "organization" and thinks they're going in the right direction...I don't think that's a lie. They have a lot of young talent - and that's their plan. If it doesn't work out....then it's a failure. But they're probably going to start seeing if it's going to pan out this and next year.

I could care less about what someone says in a camera if its funny or not. I just want him to do a good job.