[A] The Biggest Losers

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
The owner’s it seems wants everyone to feel bad for them because they keep losing money. The NHLPA on the other hand wants you to feel bad for them because the league is trying to take away their money. To be honest, each side sounds like two children trying to prove to you they are innocent of any wrong doing to the other one. Yet, this isn’t their first major disagreement. Actually we are about to start the THIRD major CBA disagreement for the NHL in almost 30 years (roughly 1 every 10 years). The first one saw the NHL cancel half a season. The second one saw NO NHL season. Yet it feels like it was no big deal for them as one side didn’t technically lose any money (payroll) and the other still made some money elsewhere (Europe or minors). But again, neither side has acknowledged who really is the biggest loser in this whole fiasco.

Those losers would be you and I, the fans. Essentially the sole reason any professional sports league exists in today’s world. Per Wikipedia (where you know everything is always true, duh) a professional is: a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee. Most athletes can complete a specialized task (except the Hawks power play) and because they are one of the best in the world at doing this task (playing hockey), we pay to watch them so we can be entertained by their talents. But, without us (the fans) no money would be generated for these leagues of athletes with their specialized skills. There would be no corporate sponsors because nobody would be watching and noticing any ads. There would be no concession sales as nobody would be around to spend $12 on a super pretzel. Parking revenue? Television contracts? Merchandise? If you answered D). none of the above, you would be correct ( but unfortunately we are still losing). Without fans and our hard earned money and impressionable spending habits, the NHL would be nothing more than the greatest beer league in the world!

But the owners want you to feel bad because they can’t afford the contracts they seem to keep offering out; even after they tell the NHLPA they want to limit them. The players want you to think the owners are the villains and they need their large sums of money, which about 90% of us will never even come close to accumulating in our life time. Just like mine, and many other people’s high school careers, both sides have procrastinated until just about the last minute to get anything done. The deadline date of September 15th is a little over a month away, and the NHLPA still has yet to give a counter-proposal to the owners. So to the NHL owners and the NHLPA, just please do us a favor. Instead of trying to point fingers and attempt to persuade us as to whom the bad guys really are, use that time to come to an agreement so we the fans can have OUR sport start on time.

-TJD

If you like what you have read or have any comments/concerns feel free to drop me a line in the comment section, or follow me on Twitter @The_Trevmeister.

Click here to view the article

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm honestly just tired of talking about it. There are no winners no matter how it plays out, except the lawyers.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I don't understand what either are trying to accomplish. The owners are the ones that forced the NHLPA's hand in the 04-05 lockout and now they want to take away more? The NHLPA completely failed in getting anything they wanted the last lockout.

To me, I have no sympathy for the owners. When they are alone and singled out they have no balls and hand out contracts like candy. But when they form a team they are all high and mighty.

Just reminds me of what Phil Esposito said about his contracts. There was no negotiating, it was "this is what you get, or you'll be replaced by someone else"... obviously in this day in age that isn't likely to happen but if the owners are going to band together and form a wall when it comes to the CBA, why can't they have the balls to do it individually when determining a players contract? Screw them. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
It's no secret the new CBA has been set to expire on September 15th, yet the NHLPA still hasnt' gotten their proposal out yet, and there will be about 30 days to do so before the NHL locks their doors.

Why the fuck are they waiting for the last minute?

Reading the players and unions tweets are just as awful too. Poor me, poor me...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there any doubt the owners have known for quite some time the 50-50 revenue split is what they wanted and it would be a huge sticking point to say the least. The way this has played out it appears they knew and must want a stoppage.

Ton

Liked Posts:
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Bettman: "I'm interested, very interested (to see the NHLPA's proposal). We'll have to wait and see."[/font]

No shit... I hope he isn't "surprised" when they rip up his proposal right in his face and actually propose something that makes sense. They pretty much have one month to pull their heads out of their asses... no more "wait and see"

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
If I'm Donald Fehr, I walk into the room with the Owners proposal, stand up on the table, drop my pants, and wipe my ass with it. Once done, I give it to Bettman and say "This is a shitty deal".

Maiden

Liked Posts:
If I'm Donald Fehr, I walk into the room with the Owners proposal, stand up on the table, drop my pants, and wipe my ass with it. Once done, I give it to Bettman and say "This is a shitty deal".

Hope the players enjoy playing in the WHA this fall.................................

Central Standard

Liked Posts:
I think Bettman is the biggest loser.

And if you think about it, has anyone ever seen Sesame Street's The Count in the same room as Bettman at the same time?

count-von-count-sesame-street.jpg

ONE! One loser. Ah-ah-ah!​