[A] Player Evaluation: Corey Crawford

sniper

Liked Posts:
Niemi was not exactly "top 5" in the Stanley Cup Finals either.. Lucky for him Leighton and boucher sucked more...

Lets not get carried away. Not to mention that SC team was FAR MORE defensively repsonsible than either Crawfrod has been behind. That's where Trev's 'quality shots" fit in. Maybe they allow less shots but if out of those LESS Shots more are quality, no goalie will save you.

niemi wasnt top 5 either but the hawks don't need a top 5 goaltender to be successful. i agree the team was far more defensively responsible, but if you can get someone like kiprusoff without giving up much you do it imo.

R K

Yea problem is you can't really. So it is what it is. If the team and Crawford play better, remain healthy, they shouldn't have a problem and are most definitely an ELITE team.

Hell with all the injuries going on last year they still finished 4-5 wins from the best record in the league. 5 of their first round playoff games went into OT and they easily could have won that series.

This year, like PMX states, with less new faces, and more focus hopefully the outcome ends differently. Assuming the NHL Owners don't fuck everything up like they appear to be headed towards.

But I agree if you have a chance to obtain a goalie like Lou, Mika, or any number of others, and it doesn't cost you the farm in salary or years, you do it.

Lous contract makes him unobtainable IMO. Just too much risk, but that said he is a better goal tender than Crawford IMO.

sniper

Liked Posts:
i never implied the hawks werent an elite team. +1 on everything else.

R K

no, but someone else did. I just happend to reply to your post first. Relax...

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Niemi was not exactly "top 5" in the Stanley Cup Finals either.. Lucky for him Leighton and boucher sucked more...

Lets not get carried away. Not to mention that SC team was FAR MORE defensively repsonsible than either Crawfrod has been behind. That's where Trev's 'quality shots" fit in. Maybe they allow less shots but if out of those LESS Shots more are quality, no goalie will save you.

You finally brought up something I said in a positve manner.

I'm printing post and framing it...

equator180

Liked Posts:
Of all my years following the Hawks I have never had less confidence in a goalie than now. Crawford has had his change, a very good chance and he is not up to the game. The team should be chasing Lou as with Crawford the chances for a cup 1 in a 000 and even the first round will not be easy. Move him!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Of all my years following the Hawks I have never had less confidence in a goalie than now. Crawford has had his change, a very good chance and he is not up to the game. The team should be chasing Lou as with Crawford the chances for a cup 1 in a 000 and even the first round will not be easy. Move him!

lmao. How many years have you been following the Hawks? Did you sleep through the seasons with shitty goaltending?

Has had his chance? 2 years? One which was a very good season for a rookie goalie and an incredible first playoff appearance outplaying that Lou guy on the other side? But yah 2 years is a fair chance. Obviously.

If you want a revolving doors of goalies every 2nd year have fun with that. I want to at least find some stability and giving a guy more than 2 years to prove himself is a good start. And again his first real season he was solid so he has shown the abilities despite what fans such as yourselves think or pretend to think as to get a reaction. If he bombs again the next season (whenever that is) then we can really discus dropping him. As of right now in my books he is 1-1 as far as seasons in his very young short NHL career.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
^^^to add to that: Who's more to blame?

Crawford letting in goals that should be routine saves?

Sharp for blowing coverage allowing a virtual empty-net goal?

Keith caughing up the puck at least once a game which leads to an odd-man rush?

Every defenseman not name Seabrook refusing to clear the crease or take the body?

Hossa, Kane, & Toews all trying to stickhandle through more than their mass in defensemen at the blueline?

The entire team's inconsistancy in making and receiving an outlet pass?

I can rehash a shitload of examples as to why I think the team D is a more pressing problem, but IMHO the bottom line is that every single player that dons the Indianhead sweater next year needs to up their play in the backend this coming year--and that includes Crawford & Emery.

R K

What year did you hop on the fucking bandwagon? This might be the dumbest post ever on this fucking board.

Leighton, Anderson, Tbo, Monroe, Huet, Lalime, could we go on?

If your going to bring this type of Idiocy here maybe you should go post on the official message board and save us from reading the dumb shit...

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

stopped reading after first sentence. Either you started watching after the cup, or you're Special person (never mind, I know it's both)

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

Niemi only had one good series in the whole 2010 playoffs.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Niemi only had one good series in the whole 2010 playoffs.

And hasn't had another one since. Nor any regular seasons to write home about either. He will be a journeyman for the rest of his career then an answer to some obscure trivial pursuit question 20 years from now. He's average at best. Don't get me wrong I'll never forget his name or the cup which he was involved in... he just isn't going to be the first player I think of.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
And hasn't had another one since. Nor any regular seasons to write home about either. He will be a journeyman for the rest of his career then an answer to some obscure trivial pursuit question 20 years from now. He's average at best. Don't get me wrong I'll never forget his name or the cup which he was involved in... he just isn't going to be the first player I think of.

hey, I still love him for what he did for us, and I still think he's one of Emma's favorite, but fact is that we would have won the cup with Crow that year, or Khabibulan, or anybody not named Huet.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
For a couple games maybe.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

I would take his last 2 regular seasons as the Hawks goalie..

10-11 - 60gms - .920% - 6so (29 shots ag per gm)..... in the playoffs .896% lost in conf finals

11-12 - 68gms - .915% - 6so (27.4 shots ag per gm) .... in the playoffs .914% lost to STL in 1st round

And I still never understand the arguments on how the Hawks would have won with any goalie, or any coach arguments. Thats complete speculation/opinion.

Fact is....they won WITH Niemi...and Q - not with anyone else.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I would take his last 2 regular seasons as the Hawks goalie..

10-11 - 60gms - .920% - 6so (29 shots ag per gm)..... in the playoffs .896% lost in conf finals

11-12 - 68gms - .915% - 6so (27.4 shots ag per gm) .... in the playoffs .914% lost to STL in 1st round

And I still never understand the arguments on how the Hawks would have won with any goalie, or any coach arguments. Thats complete speculation/opinion.

Fact is....they won WITH Niemi...and Q - not with anyone else.

It's an argument I never fully understand in my opinion also. One of those arguments that you can't prove so I don't really get into it too much. Niemi def had moments when he was very important and I'll never take those moments away from him and place them on someone elses mantel (I didn't mean to make it sound like he didn't pull his weight because he certainly did). I have made the arguments before about some of Q's decisions also during that run which I personally thought were brilliant (esp how he delt with big Buff in that Canucks series).

End of day I loved everyone on that team on the ice and behind the bench and beyond. I don't discredit anyone for their contributions. Even the few games Colin Fraser got I thought he was important and played his part in the final outcome.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
As you may know from the Stalberg thread I was nosing around with different stats and I actually saw that Crawford believe it or not was 6th in the league last year in Shootout save percentage. This is mind boggling to me because I feel like we were so bad in the shootouts. Emery was horrible and near last with a .615 but a low sample size. saved 8 of 13. Corey saved 26 of 32 which is actually 3rd highest in the league when you take out the small sample size guys of 6 or more, essentially guys who went to more than 2 shootouts. Only Varlamov and Jimmy Howard were better than Crawford in the shootout. And we sucked. Which means it wasn't his fault we lost, it was the offensive guys.

Ton

Liked Posts:
As you may know from the Stalberg thread I was nosing around with different stats and I actually saw that Crawford believe it or not was 6th in the league last year in Shootout save percentage. This is mind boggling to me because I feel like we were so bad in the shootouts. Emery was horrible and near last with a .615 but a low sample size. saved 8 of 13. Corey saved 26 of 32 which is actually 3rd highest in the league when you take out the small sample size guys of 6 or more, essentially guys who went to more than 2 shootouts. Only Varlamov and Jimmy Howard were better than Crawford in the shootout. And we sucked. Which means it wasn't his fault we lost, it was the offensive guys.

I'm not shocked by this statement at all. In fact I think at one point Corey was #1 in the league. As far as losing in the shootout, yet another example of the team in front of him letting him down at an inopportune moments. Seems like when he was clutch, the team was off, and when the team was clutch, he was off. This year if they come in sync, Corey will be fine.