[A] Player Evaluation: Nick Leddy

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Stepping into the NHL as a 19 year old and having a somewhat big role on the team is quite difficult. Being expected to fill the shoes of one of the best puck moving defensemen in the league the very next season is another daunting task. Yet, Nick Leddy hasn’t backed down from those challenges put in front of him. While he’s made his mistakes like most young skaters do, he hasn’t let those discourage him and has proven that he’s coming along quite well as a puck moving NHL defensemen.

To back track a bit, there are many folks that don’t quite understand the road Leddy took to the NHL. Leddy was drafted by the Minnesota Wild straight out of the Minnesota High School Hockey league in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft. While the Minnesota High School league is one of the best leagues in the US for high school aged players, it is still not quite like playing Major Junior hockey in Canada. Leddy though, who was had offers to play for the National Development team, had such a great senior year he was named “Mr. Hockey”, the most prestigious award you can get in Minnesota hockey (considering they’ve never won the cup). After his senior season Leddy headed to the University of Minnesota’s Golden Gophers. After one season in the NCAA Leddy stepped right into the NHL and into the Hawks line up. Read that again if you have to for full effect. He went from playing against the best HS kids in Minnesota, to the best college aged skaters in the US to straight in the NHL all within 3 years. That feat in itself is pretty damn impressive.

The main thing to take away from the paragraph above is Leddy is still only 21 years old. He’s played 2 full seasons (his first season was split in the AHL and NHL) of pro hockey. How he has progressed and where he is currently at is phenomenal. Leddy is patient with the puck, something most young players struggle with. His vision and hockey sense are very high and he has one of the smoothest strides on the Hawks. He reads plays well and, while he still has a lot of work to do, his positioning and in zone play has improved with each game. The best part of his game is obviously his ability to move the puck and start the fast break out of the defensive zone. Don’t forget that he also scored 37 points last season, more than Seabrook and just as much as Bolland. While his shot from the point is nothing to brag about, he does get it off quick and on net. Defensively he’s even starting to put his body into attacking forwards while taking away their time and space during rushes. While I’m not a fan of him on the PK, it’s only a matter of time before Q hands him the keys to be the main player on the point during the power play.

For the 2012-2013 season, I see Leddy taking another major step and getting a larger role on the power play. I also see him becoming much better in his in defensive decision making. He has the skating ability to play in the league, now it’s just getting the mental game on the same page. I would assume he’s going to play on the 2nd pairing whether it is with Oduya or Hammer (if he’s still on the Hawks). The floor is very high for Leddy and I’m quite excited to watch him keep progressing towards the finished product.

PREDICTION: 82 GAMES / 5 GOALS / 40 ASSISTS / 45 POINTS / MINUS-3

Click here to view the article

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, I'd rather him see 5/6 time with Brookbank and pair 3/4 be two of Hammer/Oduya/Monty. At least those three have enough experience to be able to (a) play their off-hand side and (
<
adjust to someone playing their off-hand side better than what Leddy can do. IMHO it's not about limiting Leddy's time on the ice but rather giving him a chance to develop with a player with a game that covers what Leddy's weak in and give Leddy a chance to not sweat a screw-up.

While Leddy had some chemistry with Oduya, let's not forget they were a defensive liability and that's where the team is overall weakest. Same with Hammer/Leddy even though Hammer got out a + for the season.

I think Leddy, much like Crawford, being journeymen last year give them some exemption over guys like, say, Keith when they made mistakes. I also think forgoing forward the best way to develop them is to make sure that twhen they make mistakes it's not a backbreaker. In Leddy's case, that is playing him on his proper side (i.e., not slotting him with a lefty), and making sure his partner is good on the defensive side of things, which means Seabrook and/or Brookbank should be tapped.

sniper

Liked Posts:
id start him in the top four. this kid has a chance of becoming a real good player for a long time. they better hold onto him.

Ton

Liked Posts:
He looked really good on the point on the PP at the end of the year. Also don't forget he is the BEST Blackhawk in terms of carrying the puck into the zone.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
He became one of the players I kept an eye on the most last season and I really enjoyed watching him. Kid has great talent and has potential out the ying yang. Def needs to improve on his overall defensive game or find the right guy to play along side him as cover. Up front this kid has everything you want from a young blueliner still developing his NHL game. Leddy could surpass Duncs as the better offensive blueliner in a couple years. Hawks do indeed have to find everything in their power to hold onto him.

Of course next season..when ever that is... I will be a bit more critical of his errors. It's players like Leddy who really get screwed by the lockout and get set back. Will be a shame he loses NHL playing time and development when the managers lock out the players.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
He looked really good on the point on the PP at the end of the year. Also don't forget he is the BEST Blackhawk in terms of carrying the puck into the zone.

And he was also the WORST Blackhawk defenseman in his own zone.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
And he was also the WORST Blackhawk defenseman in his own zone.

I wouldn't go that far, O'Donnell was too slow to do much in his own zone. Leddy got better from game 1 to game 82. I'm about 99.9% positive that his coaches in HS never told him how to play in his own zone. I'm sure it was more of "Once you get the puck just go coast to coast". I'm sure he didn't learn much of that either in the NCAA as he was injured part of the year. So he's essentially had 2 full pro seasons to learn and he's gotten much better.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't go that far, O'Donnell was too slow to do much in his own zone. Leddy got better from game 1 to game 82. I'm about 99.9% positive that his coaches in HS never told him how to play in his own zone. I'm sure it was more of "Once you get the puck just go coast to coast". I'm sure he didn't learn much of that either in the NCAA as he was injured part of the year. So he's essentially had 2 full pro seasons to learn and he's gotten much better.

which leads me back to my "he should have learned defense in Rockford" debate.

puterwiz53

Liked Posts:
The problem with Leddy is that he seems to cower in his own zone like he is so scared to get hit. He seems to panic when opposing forwards come towards him and he coughs up the puck constantly. Keith has been a lot the same way the last 2 years. Oduya played that way in the playoffs. Leddy can become a great defense man if he get rid of the fear of being hit and start playing a more gutsy game. On the other hand, Hammy is not afraid to take a hit but rather seems afraid to lay a solid hit on a opposing player.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
The problem with Leddy is that he seems to cower in his own zone like he is so scared to get hit. He seems to panic when opposing forwards come towards him and he coughs up the puck constantly. Keith has been a lot the same way the last 2 years. Oduya played that way in the playoffs. Leddy can become a great defense man if he get rid of the fear of being hit and start playing a more gutsy game. On the other hand, Hammy is not afraid to take a hit but rather seems afraid to lay a solid hit on a opposing player.

True. He's not the biggest guy in the world. Nor is Keith. I think they are pretty similar height and weight. Leddy may be able to add a few more small pounds but hes not getting any taller. But yah both need to take the hit a bit more I agree.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Assigned to Rockford today... no surprise there.