[A] Player Evaluation: Viktor Stalberg

Ton

Liked Posts:
You may as well call last season a breakout campaign for Viktor Stalberg. The speedy forward complied 22 goals, 21 assists, and plus-6 rating in 79 games, improving by 19 points compared to his previous career-high that was set in 2010-2011. All of this while spending very limited time on the power-play (approx. 35 minutes the entire season) and ending the season 4th on the Blackhawks for even-strength points. Stalberg also saw less time on the ice than forwards such as Marcus Kruger and Dave Bolland; while seeing nearly 6 minutes less of ice time than Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa, Patrick Kane, and Jonathan Toews.

Blackhawk fans have been slightly harsh on Stalberg ever since he was acquired, but I think that is more to do with the frustration that the potential is there and more is expected. Over his tenure as a Blackhawk it's clear that Stalberg possesses an asset to his game that very few in the NHL can rival: his combination of size and speed. At 26 years old, he is entering the prime of his career and should continue to improve his shot and offensive zone awareness which will provide the Blackhawks with another dangerous threat on the wing for the upcoming season.

[float='right']Related Content

Player Evaluation: Ray Emery

Ton gives his take on Blackhawks goaltender Ray Emery

Player Evaluation: Nick Leddy

Trev gives his take on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy

Player Evaluation: Marcus Kruger

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ton takes a look at the Chicago Blackhawks center Marcus Kruger[/font]

Player Evaluation: Sheldon Brookbank

Trev takes a look at Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Sheldon Brookbank

[/float]The only drawback to Stalberg's production this season will be dependent on how effective rookie Brandon Saad can be right off the bat. Coupled with Patrick Sharp, Patrick Kane, and Marian Hossa; Viktor Stalberg might find difficulty setting his anchor on the top two lines and could be bumped to a bottom-six role. If that happens, don't expect him to set any career-highs in his point totals, but as last years evidence points out -- he really doesn't need much time on the ice to produce -- all that matters is that he has the right linemates supporting him.

Last year Stalberg finished 5th on the Blackhawks in points per 60 minutes (edged out ever so slightly by forwards Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, and Patrick Kane) but he also was 3rd on the Blackhawks as far as quality of teammates. To his credit, Patrick Kane was 1st on that list and Jonathan Toews was 4th. To be a good player you have to have quality teammates and if Jonathan Toews is that high on the list then we can assume he fed off Stalberg as much as Stalberg fed off him. He's productive in that role, and if he continues to produce, I have a hard time seeing a rookie edge him out right off the bat.

Chemistry plays an important role in Stalberg's effectiveness on this team, he's a hit in the locker room and certainly has gained the teams respect over the last two years. I wouldn't call him a leader as high of a degree as someone like Toews or Seabrook, but he has a character role similar to the respect that Kris Versteeg and Dustin Byfuglien had in their Chicago tenure -- a guy you can plug anywhere in your line-up without complaint. As that has proved in the past, players of that capability are invaluable. He fills a piece of that character lost on that Cup team and for such a low price, he should be safe from the trade market.

At this point, expect Stalberg to stay on the top two lines and have a productive year.

PREDICTION: 80 GAMES | 26 GOALS | 23 ASSISTS | 49 POINTS | PLUS-7

Non-traditional stats gathered at behindthenet.ca (points per 60 minutes and quality of teammates)

Click here to view the article

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think this thread is going to be awesome.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
And_here_we_go.gif

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I like him. Not apologizing for it either.

I noticed improvements in his game all over the place as the season moved on last season and I noticed a huge improvements last season compared to the 10/11 season. I think the Leafs are going to be kicking themselves for letting him go.

As long as I see a player like Stalberg working on his game and showing improvements then I will always back them up. I don't think he has come close to reaching his full potential yet. I am actually excited to see him continue improving. He's fast as fuck for a big guy and unlike other guys we have seen in the past who have wheels I at least see Stalberg moving away from only being a straight line skater. Guy back checks well also and he should be with that frame of his. Hands aren't mind blowing but again another area where there has been progress. His abilities to read the play improved also in a quick matter of time.

I may be crazy but I think the guys going to hit 60 points + in a couple years time if not the next season. Yah I said it. I like him and I really like that larger frame with the wheels he has. That doesn't come around often. No problem letting this guy develop more. He def deserves the minutes to do so in my opinion. Proved it to me last season.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I don't think 30 goals is too crazy to think, especially if he actually gets some PP time.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
We're also forgetting about how Q loves to play "Musical Lines" each and every game.

While seeing 35-40 pts isn't out of reach, I don't want to be all pressure packed and assume he'll do 50 pts again right off the bat. I think Q's lineup switches and Saad being promoted both will have something to do with that.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't think 30 goals is too crazy to think, especially if he actually gets some PP time.
I assume you mean if it's wasn't a shortened season. But even so... really? 30 goals? You think he can have that kind of breakout season? I know his goals are trending upward but he still only have 43 goals total, and I'm just not sure there is much more there than what he gave last season. I'd put him at right around where he was last year. He just doesn't seam to get the ice time.

Speaking of, and I don't want to derail but I've noticed the state "Production" recently. It's probably not new but it is to me and when I was looking at his profile I noticed it. They define it as

Production value: the average ice time per point recorded.

For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00.

Seems pretty subjective and i was wondering what folks thought of it? I guess it's like a +/- in that it doesn't tell the whole story, and it would seem the lower the better as you'd be producing more points per minute. Obviously has to do with on TOI. So I guess my real question is, what purpose could this stat hold? Can it be valuable at all, maybe in comparing two similar players?

Had to edit a bit because some of the stuff I was looking at was for playoffs only instead of regular season.

Ton

Liked Posts:
It's tough to have three guys on a team score 30 goals (As far as I can tell, the Sharks and Devils were the only NHL teams that had three 30 goal scorers last year) let alone four guys that can pop in 30. You know Sharp and Toews are going to be up there, depending on Hossa's health he will be too. Kane could be and has done it before. Now throw in Stalberg, there's just not enough to go around unless there is significant injuries.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I assume you mean if it's wasn't a shortened season. But even so... really? 30 goals? You think he can have that kind of breakout season? I know his goals are trending upward but he still only have 43 goals total, and I'm just not sure there is much more there than what he gave last season. I'd put him at right around where he was last year. He just doesn't seam to get the ice time.

Speaking of, and I don't want to derail but I've noticed the state "Production" recently. It's probably not new but it is to me and when I was looking at his profile I noticed it. They define it as

Production value: the average ice time per point recorded.

For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00.

Seems pretty subjective and i was wondering what folks thought of it? I guess it's like a +/- in that it doesn't tell the whole story, and it would seem the lower the better as you'd be producing more points per minute. Obviously has to do with on TOI. So I guess my real question is, what purpose could this stat hold? Can it be valuable at all, maybe in comparing two similar players?

Had to edit a bit because some of the stuff I was looking at was for playoffs only instead of regular season.

Where did you see this?

Sounds similar to points per 60 minutes.

By going that direction, Stalberg produces a point every 24:57... in comparison, Patrick Kane produced a point every 25:17. These calculations are based off even-strength points and ice-time. (if I'm even doing it right)

If that's correct, one could argue that with more ice-time per game, Stalberg could have outscored Kane last year at even-strength. In fact he would have been 2nd or 3rd on the Hawks in even-strength points if he was given 6 more minutes of ice-time per game at even-strength.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just found it under the expanded stats on the standard ESPN page.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_...cat/production/order/false/chicago-blackhawks

Hoss at the top with 21 even.

Sharp next at 21:20

Toews 21:34

Shaw 24:28

Kane 25:06

Stalberg 25:51

Carcillo 29:01

Pirri 33:48

Bolland 33:54

Hayes 35:18

Bickell 35:54

Brunette 39:09

Kruger 42:03

Leddy

Keith

Mayers 52:56

Frolik 54:04

Montador

Seabrook

B. Smith 63:47

Oduya

Lepisto

Hammer

O'donnell

Scott

Dylan Olsen

Bolig, Saad, Mornin, Morrison, Olesz, were all at 0 with no points. Bolig in 18 games, Morrison in 11.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I just found it under the expanded stats on the standard ESPN page.

http://espn.go.com/n...cago-blackhawks

Hoss at the top with 21 even.

Sharp next at 21:20

Toews 21:34

Shaw 24:28

Kane 25:06

Stalberg 25:51

Carcillo 29:01

Pirri 33:48

Bolland 33:54

Hayes 35:18

Bickell 35:54

Brunette 39:09

Kruger 42:03

Leddy

Keith

Mayers 52:56

Frolik 54:04

Montador

Seabrook

B. Smith 63:47

Oduya

Lepisto

Hammer

O'donnell

Scott

Dylan Olsen

Bolig, Saad, Mornin, Morrison, Olesz, were all at 0 with no points. Bolig in 18 games, Morrison in 11.

Looks like my numbers are accurate then considering I only calculated even-strength TOI and even-strength points. That is an interesting stat, I like that better than points per 60 minutes, considering players don't play 60 minutes per game. I hope they separate even-strength and special teams at some point. I don't want to have to do the math myself every time because I'm lazy.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I too think that it's an interesting stat, I just can't figure out if I can hold it to any actual value?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
By the way, guess who led the league in PROD last year....

Akim Aliu...7:21... hahaha

But seriously. If we go of players with more than 20 games. Crosby #1. Too bad he only had 22 games. Malkin was #2 at 14:27

then

Claude Giroux 17:50

Jordan Eberle 18:03 (no wonder they voted him the greatest player of the year in that winnepeg poll)

Nick Backstrom 18.17

Joffrey Luppul 18:20

Steven Stamkos 18:32

James Neal 18:53

Jason Spezza 18:58

Henrik Sedin 19:19

Ray Whitney 19:51

Phil Kessel 20:03

Teddy Purcell 20:06

Daniel Sedin 20:13

Jamie Benn

Pavel Datsyuk

Tyler Seguin

Patrik Elias

John Tavares

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Marian Hossa 21:00

Andy McDonald

Marian Gaborik

Patrick Sharp

Johnathan Toews

Thomas Vanek

Scott Hartnell

Joe Thorton

Jaromir Jagr 22:05

Jason Pominville

Max Pacioretty

Teemu Selane

P.A. Parenteau 22:16

I stopped putting all the numbers because they were so close.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I too think that it's an interesting stat, I just can't figure out if I can hold it to any actual value?

I would hold it to more value than points per game.

Production rate could be helpful if used with other stats such as quality of teammates/quality of competition IMO.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
As far as Stalberg...he's proven he can play in this league. I don't think he's a Q favorite, so it will be interesting to see how he's used and how long he's a Hawk for. I think if the Hawks are doing well and Q is staying...Stalberg would be moved for a Center/different player. If Q stubmbles...I think Stalberg would be staying/maybe playing a different or bigger role.

This season - like most players - his 3rd full year in the league/with the Hawks...consistency will be the challenge. Maybe duplicate the point total but just spreading it out more. I think he got much better between the bluelines, back checking, in his own zone, and using his speed to draw opportunities and scoring chances - just needs to finish more.

I could see 22-25g...20-25a...for a solid 50pt season again.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
If he has a decent year, I could see him being bait at the deadline. He is making less then a million, and will be a FA. As pointed out above, we have a few potential 30 goal scorers, and he is expendable in that sense.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I will never deny Stalberg has great physical tools. He has such a low center of gravity and he is able to get use his long legs correctly to create a smooth but powerful stride. He's a big body and isn't afraid to play physical.

That said, I don't think he has the highest hockey sense. Nor do I think he has great hands.

A lot of his goals were because of Kane. Grant it, he put the puck in the net, but he had a lot of back door/open net goals that Burish could of scored.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I will never deny Stalberg has great physical tools. He has such a low center of gravity and he is able to get use his long legs correctly to create a smooth but powerful stride. He's a big body and isn't afraid to play physical.

That said, I don't think he has the highest hockey sense. Nor do I think he has great hands.

A lot of his goals were because of Kane. Grant it, he put the puck in the net, but he had a lot of back door/open net goals that Burish could of scored.

Yet Burish never scored 20 goals, Kruger didn't even score 10 and he played with Sharp and Stalberg.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Yet Burish never scored 20 goals, Kruger didn't even score 10 and he played with Sharp and Stalberg.

I'm not comparing the two. You could have put those pucks in the net, I can link them from youtube if we must go this route.

You can't say that about Kruger as he bounced around quite a bit between lines and ice time. Stalberg played a lot with Kane and Toews.