[A] Blackhawks meet for informal practice

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
How is he over-privledge? How has he not worked incredibly hard his entire life to be where he is, and did he just make up his value and draw up his own contract? He was given it by people that think he's worth it. Do you think Toews is over-priviledged too?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. Any professional sports person is over-privileged just by being paid ridiculous sums. Sure, they worked hard, but being born in a certain situation that allowed them to concentrate fully on their thing without worrying about how to feed themselves etc. played a huge role. There are of course those rags-to-riches stories but again there were variables beyond their control helping along the way and how many talented people never made it due to circumstances beyond their control. Perhaps it's more of a hate the game rather than the player type of thing, but I'd like to see some more self-awareness and reflexivity from people that are as privileged as millionaire pro athletes.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Wow, this is quickly turning into a political thread I see. Because athletes are no different than any other rich people in any profession, you have your entitled, your rags to riches, your black your white, purple green. So basically you just hate all rich people because you don't think anyone ever deserves the amount of money they are given?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, this is quickly turning into a political thread I see. Because athletes are no different than any other rich people in any profession, you have your entitled, your rags to riches, your black your white, purple green. So basically you just hate all rich people because you don't think anyone ever deserves the amount of money they are given?

Sadly, this is where we are going not only in this thread but of life itself.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Redistribute NHL wealth to the fans!!!!!!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
These guys have agents and accountants and lawyers etc etc that do the hard work for them when it comes to their contracts (by the way the players pay a good chunk of their wages to these guys and gals). The only hard work they really do at this point in their careers is working out, playing the game they are paid to play, do some charity and fund raising events (good on them but its expected) and live a quarter of the year in hotel rooms and retire earlier with notoriaty than many could never imagine. Not a tough life in the big picture.Iinfact its a hell of a gig if you can get it. Not taking away the hard work they went through since being very young to get a level not many get to. That I can respect fully and that does have to account for somethings.

They also create jobs if you want to go to that argument. It's no different than many other business models. But the product they are selling are themselves.

Anyways. Never expect them all to say the things you want them to say. Some players aren't the P.R. types. No big deal.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Yes. Any professional sports person is over-privileged just by being paid ridiculous sums. Sure, they worked hard, but being born in a certain situation that allowed them to concentrate fully on their thing without worrying about how to feed themselves etc. played a huge role. There are of course those rags-to-riches stories but again there were variables beyond their control helping along the way and how many talented people never made it due to circumstances beyond their control. Perhaps it's more of a hate the game rather than the player type of thing, but I'd like to see some more self-awareness and reflexivity from people that are as privileged as millionaire pro athletes.

3204840swsw.gif

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Kane, Carcillo join Hawks' informal workouts

Patrick Kane has joined teammates for informal workouts. (Phil Velasquez/Tribune Photo / September 19, 2012)

By Chris Kuc, Tribune Reporter

11:35 a.m. CDT, September 19, 2012

A couple of newcomers joined Chicago Blackhawks teammates Wednesday during an informal practice as the NHL lockout continues.

Patrick Kane and Daniel Carcillo were on the ice in Chicago during the session arranged by Hawks captain Jonathan Toews. It's the second time players have gathered since the lockout began late Saturday night.

Kane has kept a semi-low profile in recent months after being photographed in an unflattering light during a block party in Madison, Wis. on Cinco de Mayo.

Carcillo is still recovering from a severe knee injury that had him sidelined for much of last season.

Among others who skated were the Hawks' Dave Bolland, Patrick Sharp, Jamal Mayers and Steve Montador. The Capitals' Troy Brouwer, Panthers' Brian Campbell and Mike Brown of the Maple Leafs also participated.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Thank god Kane finished his cigarette in time to make it to the voluntary practice session. If he was really committed and cared about anything other than money he would have been at the first one. All he was doing was sitting in his million dollar condo eating fruity pebbles with beer and watching cartoons. I know I have his schedule all mapped out.

On a side note, I think I just heard Grimson explode at the mention of Carcillo...

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Thank god Kane finished his cigarette in time to make it to the voluntary practice session. If he was really committed and cared about anything other than money he would have been at the first one. All he was doing was sitting in his million dollar condo eating fruity pebbles with beer and watching cartoons. I know I have his schedule all mapped out.

On a side note, I think I just heard Grimson explode at the mention of Carcillo...

<

Well played. Good to see Kane and Carcillo participating.

tvltre

Liked Posts:
Good to see the team is sticking together and keeping in shape for a season that looks like it will start much later than usual.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
In case folks were wondering, Mike Brown is from Northbrook which is why I imagine he's here. Maybe he still has a place in the area or is just back seeing family. I gotta imagine these types of sessions are happening all over? Anyone hear of others?

xatruio

Liked Posts:
before the lockout even officially began Brown and a bunch of Wolves guys plus Montoya were working out at Hoffman Estates Triphahn Center arena I walk in to work out one day and notice a goalie and recognize it is Montoya cuz he was wearing his NYI pads and helmet but a hawks practice jersey with the indianhead taken off, but the outline still visible.

After working out a bit i went down to watch them play some drills and happened to be wearing an old Isles shirt from the dynasty days i got passed down to me. I went up to Montoya when he skated off the ice to say hi and he said it was a sick shirt (despite signing with the Jets haha). He was a pretty down to earth cool dude. I played Rat ice right after and saw him walk out with Brown when i left the ice for some water later on (swearz i wasnt stalking)

P.S. first thing he said was IM GONNA MISS MY FUCKING PAYCHEQUE

Variable

Liked Posts:
When you get paid $6.3M just to play a sport, let alone get $6.3M a year for anything, wouldn't you?

Remember, before Kane became a Hawk, I'm sure that he didn't make millions. Who wouldn't miss that kind of money? I don't blame Kane for being blunt about it. He wants to go have fun with it. Let the kid enjoy his life.

Ahhh haha, yes there it is. Been a while since that slogan came up again here.Going to miss it this coming non-existent hockey season.....or maybe I won't. Kaner don't let me down.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It may surprise some that informal practices have been going on since the first of September.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It may surprise some that informal practices have been going on since the first of September.

The only surprise is that it started that late... They typically start in early to mid August.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Ahhh haha, yes there it is. Been a while since that slogan came up again here.Going to miss it this coming non-existent hockey season.....or maybe I won't. Kaner don't let me down.

<

R K

Kaner's a douche, what did you expect.

Yea took time out of his day to spend a few hours with some little girl in the Hospital the other day. What a douche...

When you get a clue of ANYTHING any of these guys do in their off time, other than what you read on "dead spin", let the class know.

Or ask some of us that my have a clue already.