5 years ago today Bill Wirtz passed

daze71

Liked Posts:
A fellow poster over on the O boards started this thread saying that he is happy that the old man died you thoughts on this.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
A fellow poster over on the O boards started this thread saying that he is happy that the old man died you thoughts on this.

I need to stop by his resting place and place some Hawks Paraphernalia there.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Shame he was never able to celebrate the Blackhawks winning the Cup under his ownership. He may have made some bad decisions in the 90's, some of which are unfairly placed on him, but I think he really cared at the end.

I'll say this: Rocky may know how to 'woo' the fans and bask in the cheers, but he is greedier than his old man and a crook. There's not ice running through his veins -- just money. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I really wish Peter would have kept the team. At the very least, Peter would not have brought in McD and certainly would have kept Dale as he had a very deep appreciation for him and Savvy.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
After what we've seen and experienced, I think we'll take anyone over Rocky at this rate.

All I'll say is --- I'm not going to start that 10 page argument over the issue. I remember how the board was 5 yrs ago... I don't think anyone is going to want to bring that up again.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Bill Wirtz was an amazing hockey man. The league lost a good one when he passed away. He did so much for American Hockey thus hockey in general. His commitment to charity orgs is also legendary in hockey circles.

I never agreed with everything he did with the Blackhawks and had issues with a few decisions. I also know that a lot of the negative stories about Bill were stretched and untrue.

Bill Pulford is a different story. That man was never good for this org if we are talking strictly about the Hawks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I won't say I'm glad he's dead, but I think the mantle did need to be passed because in spite of WWW' love of the game, it did pass him by.

I'm not going to say I love or hate Rocky. But I am going to say this--he deserves as much blame for bringing in and keeping McDonut and WWW deserves for keeping Pullford on. Both of those men are/were like Strychnine for our Blackhawks.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It has been an incredible 5 year ride since Bill's passing. I had for a number of years heard that the demise of the Chicago Blackhawks was Pulford and not Bill. Sadly, Bill never had an opportunity to see the end result.

With all of that I don't think we will ever see another five year period in this franchise that will be similiar or even as much as a roller coaster.

From the low points to the high point of winning Lord Stanley again and then to the downward spiral we are in now.....

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bill Wirtz was an amazing hockey man. The league lost a good one when he passed away. He did so much for American Hockey thus hockey in general. His commitment to charity orgs is also legendary in hockey circles.

I never agreed with everything he did with the Blackhawks and had issues with a few decisions. I also know that a lot of the negative stories about Bill were stretched and untrue.

Bill Pulford is a different story. That man was never good for this org if we are talking strictly about the Hawks.

Wirtz was a great man for the game.

Is the "Bill" Pulford you speak of like the Wizard of Oz- controlling Wirtzford's every move?

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Celebrating a person's death because he was a "dinosaur" and an "out of touch owner" is just disrespectful. He was an owner of a sports team, not the orchestrator of 9/11.

Yes, $$ Bill will be remembered for not putting home games on TV, or losing touch with a certain portion of the fan base, but he did do quite a bit for the game of hockey-- some say that without him, the 1980 US hockey team may not be. We can debate how much of a hand he had at some of the core players drafted before his death.

I had my personal gripes, but nothing that would make me sing "ding dong, the witch is dead" like Mike North and his band of idiot followers.

Too bad WWW couldn't see a new championship banner raised in Chicago.

[font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

Is there a link to the thread, or has it been nuked?[/background]
[/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][edit][/background][/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I also don't want this thread to turn into an IHN versus O-boards because of what someone else decided to post on a message board that we have no control over. [/background][/font]

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I had a lot of hate for the man. And by this I mean the decisions that he made regarding the team. The hate was formed from my passion, and his decisions were made from his. I never disliked him as man because I never got to know him beyond the context of difficult decisions he made regarding the handling of the team. I could never wish ill on him. One thing was definitly sure, he loved the Hawks as much as any fan and whether you like some of the things he did or not, you have to respect that. He could have easily sold the team just like so many families before him but he kept it and tried to make it the best he could.

It's a shame he had to die at all, but it's really a shame that he had to die when he did. Not only did he miss everything, but the upward trend was happening with or without him, and it's sad to see it happen after his passing and folks equating his death with a resurgence of hockey in this town. It doesn't do his legacy justice for all the good he did here and with this team. I believe he and Reinsdorf are the reason the UC got done? And without him, who knows maybe the team could have been sold and moved by now. For a long time there our attendance was worst than many of the teams in the league now that folks want moved.

At the end of the day it's all in the past, and from one passionate fan to another, RIP Mr. Wirtz.

P.S. Do they still wear anything on the uniform or helmets for him? I know the bears integrated GH into their uni's can't remember if the hawks did.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I also don't want this thread to turn into an IHN versus O-boards because of what someone else decided to post on a message board that we have no control over. [/background][/font]

I hid it as the thread degenerated to something pretty uncivilized in a short period of time....unfortunately.

Variable

Liked Posts:
One thing I was curious about, what was Peter's role in the organization in those last few years? Did have anything to do with building or affecting the team at all? Why didn't he take over instead of handing it down to Rocky? Just thinking of how much differently things would've played out if that were the case.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Peter and Rocky speak much.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Peter has any hand in hockey operations.

Variable

Liked Posts:
I don't think Peter and Rocky speak much.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Peter has any hand in hockey operations.

I wouldn't imagine he does now, but at any point did he? I've read things here that have said it was Peter's and Tallons team rather than Rocky and Tallon's team that won the Cup. Wasn't sure what, if any, he had to do with it.

R K

I thought Rocky canned Peter.

It was in the Will. Rocky was the oldest. Peter most definitely had a hand in the team that won the Cup. Far more than Rocky and or McShmuck. All but two players on that team were acquired under Bill-Peter-Tallon if I am correct.

Knowing Bill Wirtz personally and sitting in front of him for years my opinion differs a lot from many others that like most, forumulate on hearsay with never having had a conversation with the man.(similar to the "Kaner is a douche bag" comment coming from someone that's NEVER spoken to him) Some of those gripes were indeed his fault, and others, out of his control to some extent.

When you talked to Bill you knew what he was saying was really how he felt, right or wrong. When you talk to the new folks you know they are telling you what they think you want to hear, verses what the truth really is.

That said I'd go back to Bills regime in a heartbeat instead of what you have here now, which in many ways, IMO, is far worse than the former.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I thinnk the more important question is "What did Rocky do during Bill's tenure to earn the role he has now?"

Variable

Liked Posts:
He was the oldest? But still I'd like to know what role Peter played.