The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BiscuitInTheBasket2in17" data-cid="228736" data-time="1399425397">
<div>

Actually pretty cool. Section 8 should do something similar with the Fire and only have the Water Tower standing.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I'm sure they wouldn't let the cow into the stadium... hah.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BiscuitInTheBasket2in17" data-cid="228736" data-time="1399425397">
<div>

Actually pretty cool. Section 8 should do something similar with the Fire and only have the Water Tower standing.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I havent spent time in Section 8 yet, but I think I will send a few ducats the Fire's way this year. It is just so damn hard to watch US soccer as a EU soccer fan. And ok, there is a fair-weather component since they once again started the season horribly.  </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="228826" data-time="1399485060">
<div>

I havent spent time in Section 8 yet, but I think I will send a few ducats the Fire's way this year. It is just so damn hard to watch US soccer as a EU soccer fan. And ok, there is a fair-weather component since they once again started the season horribly.  </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Sure they did.... but it always balances out. And with expansion it should really help add some shitty teams so they they don't have to always start in the hole.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="228830" data-time="1399487000">
<div>

Sure they did.... but it always balances out. And with expansion it should really help add some shitty teams so they they don't have to always start in the hole.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

HA! Right?</p>

</p>

But really, I need to go to a few games because I would love to see soccer in this country gain more steam. It is a superior game to american football to me in every way. But I am a believer that the only vote you have that really matters is where you spend your money and I want better soccer to watch so...</p>

</p>

And now that I know how to get there as a car-less man, there is little excuse not to go. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="228834" data-time="1399491051">
<div>

HA! Right?</p>

</p>

But really, I need to go to a few games because I would love to see soccer in this country gain more steam. It is a superior game to american football to me in every way. But I am a believer that the only vote you have that really matters is where you spend your money and I want better soccer to watch so...</p>

</p>

And now that I know how to get there as a car-less man, there is little excuse not to go. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

But... but but... it's the fastest growing professional sport in the country (no where to go but up) and if you believe ESPN they are more popular than a few of the other ones (with some shoddy math exposed by deadspin)</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="228877" data-time="1399569182">
<div>

But... but but... it's the fastest growing professional sport in the country (no where to go but up) and if you believe ESPN they are more popular than a few of the other ones (with some shoddy math exposed by deadspin)</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I would love NOTHING more than to see the single most boring sport of american football to rot. For the life of me I will never understand its allure. It is like watching 2 guys play Chess with fat human beings. 15 minutes of action in a 3.5 hour telecast. I sure dont get it. It isnt even fun to play! I know, it makes too much money for whatever reason and wont go anywhere...</p>

</p>

Actually, the sport that probably has the most to fear from increased soccer fandom is baseball. Which is even more boring than american football, if that is even possible.</p>

</p>

It is also hard to tell just how much is actual fandom or because it is a World Cup Year. I guess we will see. Expanding the MLS might help. The increased exposure to EPL will certainly help. It sure has on me! No matter what I did the night before, most weekends I get up at about 7a, grab my liverpool or sunderland garb, and head to the irish pub not far from me where it is already full with soccer fans (ok, mostly Brits...), grab an irish breakfast (blood pudding and beans should be just sold as hangover food), a couple beers, and talk smack about soccer. The Brits get a kick out of a Yank that can talk EPL with em. Watch a couple games, go home take an afternoon nap with that all-too-fun-light-morning-beer-buzz, profit. </p>

</p>

NBC has thrown a lot of production at their EPL coverage and certainly blasting audiences with ads during Olympics, I had folks that knew nothing about EPL suddenly asking about it. And after this Sunday? Who knows!</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
There is a lot of discussion right now about how to speed up baseball. Crazy stuff like 7 innings and such. They basically say that 3 hours games can't happen especially now with with replay. 2.5 is even too much, they need it down to 2 hours because it's just becoming too much time for fans to invest in every day. I hadn't even really thought about it that way. Baseball I thought was always long and strung out but I still like watching the games when I can, and then when I think about them in context of other sports I think 2.5 isn't that bad, but it's 2.5 ever day... if they're lucky. That's just a shit ton of games and time. You can't watch every game or even 90 or 80 % of them without losing a huge chunk of your life to just watching baseball, and then you are missing a large chunk of games by missing that 10-20%. If you are watching NBA, NHL, or even NFL and you only see 80-90% then you are really seeing most of the games and are fully involved and engaged. And it's not a total time suck. It's a lot but still not as horrible as almost every day.</p>