17:10   Mark Fraser: 2 Minutes for Protective Equipment</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Only one game in and already. Hopefully Parros is okay.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="210087" data-time="1380680082">
<div>

Only one game in and already. Hopefully Parros is okay.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Yea that was UGLY.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Healy is just a colossal asshole for talking about what happened with Parros the way he did. Just colossal.  The Old NHL in all it's ugly glory right there.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="210089" data-time="1380681581">
<div>

Healy is just a colossal asshole for talking about what happened with Parros the way he did. Just colossal.  The Old NHL in all it's ugly glory right there.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I didn't catch it... what did he say?</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Don't know if it's in that video you posted, but basically he starts bringing up rhetorical situations of Parros dying also killing fighting in hockey in a way that it would be a bad thing for hockey to do that. Just....fucking horrible. Should cost him his job, but it won't. Sadly that's one of the pro-fighting arguments.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="210095" data-time="1380683836">
<div>

Don't know if it's in that video you posted, but basically he starts bringing up rhetorical situations of Parros dying also killing fighting in hockey in a way that it would be a bad thing for hockey to do that. Just....fucking horrible. Should cost him his job, but it won't. Sadly that's one of the pro-fighting arguments.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I know you don't like fighting and as I've said before, respect that.</p>

</p>

However... things like this happen so seldom, I don't get what the big deal is?  It's a freak accident.</p>

</p>

Unfortunate... but it happens.</p>

</p>

There are a lot more injuries due to cheap headshots than happen during a fight.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Right, but say you eject players after a fight like every other sport does. This freak injury doesn't happen. How often it happens doesn't matter, it's the ignoring  of the circumstances during which it happens and why that does matter. And in this case, it's needless. It's about raising the standard.</p>

</p>

But the way Healy was talking about it, it was one of the most twisted ways I've ever seen someone talk about it.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="210101" data-time="1380684372">

I know you don't like fighting and as I've said before, respect that.

However... things like this happen so seldom, I don't get what the big deal is?  It's a freak accident.

Unfortunate... but it happens.

There are a lot more injuries due to cheap headshots than happen during a fight.</p></blockquote>

Or body checks, or errant sticks, or high rising pucks...

Variable

Liked Posts:
Yeah again, Trev, there are risks that have to be acceptable in every sport, then those that are unacceptable because of how needless they are in which the standard needs to be raised. Fighting is one of them that hasn't been addressed yet.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, I don't think that saying if you ejected them the injury doesn't happen. Maybe not to Parros, but the nature of that injury could happen in any case where a player loses their balance, has someone adding weight to their front, and takes once on the chin.</p>

</p>

Further, there's no real way to prevent the damage from that.</p>

</p>

It was a freak injury and i hope Parros is okay, but really, requiring helments on, visors on, or getting rid of fighting doesn't not make that type of injury go away.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Like I said, I specifically said the circumstances under which that injury occured. Thats the important part of this. That's not saying that injury can't happen in other ways but you eliminate it from happening in that way. Its needless risk.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol at Detroit/Buffalo being on "rivalry night" tonight. I guess being in the same division for two days makes you division rivals these days.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="210152" data-time="1380732749">
<div>

Lol at Detroit/Buffalo being on "rivalry night" tonight. I guess being in the same division for two days makes you division rivals these days.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

It's the same with us and Colorado or us and Minny.  We haven't had a rivalry in Minnesota since they were the North Stars yet Bettman and co. think that playing the game on Vs. will create one.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Can at least see the logic in Chicago/Minnesota. But Detroit/Buffalo? Not so much.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="210157" data-time="1380741631">

Can at least see the logic in Chicago/Minnesota. But Detroit/Buffalo? Not so much.</p></blockquote>

Isn't Detroit closer to Buffalo than Chicago? That's all I can think of as far as why they would try to sell that.

The Lake Erie rivalry?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Yzerman, Shero and Rutherford all said to Darren Dreger of TSN that they want to see fighting gone.

Unfortunately if that were truly the case they wouldn't be rostering the likes of Pierre-Cedric Labrie, BJ Crombeen, Kevin Westgarth or have rostered Stevie Mac, Laraque.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="210157" data-time="1380741631">
<div>

Can at least see the logic in Chicago/Minnesota. But Detroit/Buffalo? Not so much.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

The logic is there but the Wild are not the Northstars.  The only way a rivalry with Minnesota, or Colorado, Or Winnipeg, or Dallas, or Nashville happens is if there are a few hard-fought knock-down-drag-out playoff series between the teams where it could literally go either way.  Minnesota's series against us last year doesn't cut it--sure, they were missing some guys but they were as outclassed as Gary Coleman trying to fight Ken Norton.   Now, if the series with Minnesota followed the same pattern as the series against Detroit, then yes, that would be the start of a good rivalry.</p>

</p>

Much like the 'hawks with Minny or Colorado, and much to Bettman's chagrin, plopping two teams on Wed. Night on Vs. is not going to create a rivalry.  Ditto with Det. and Buffalo.  If the NHL wants a rivalry with Buffalo and Detroit, there' going to have to hope both teams enter the playoffs on equal footing.  For now, they should be milking Det. and Toronto for the history, but the slugfest between Montreal and Toronto might eclipse it.</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.