Michael Sam soon to be first openly gay active NFL player

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="221357" data-time="1392059851">
<div>

Exactly. and it definitely wasn't a distraction because they went to the title game, and he still was the defensive player of the year. Probably just goes to show there are a lot more gay football players than people want to think. I hope as the story continues and grows that it will lead to a landslide of admittance.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I'd love to see him on one of my favorite teams - Bears, Chargers, or Panthers preferred.</p>

</p>

Its truly amazing what Missouri did this year as a team. I didn't even know about Sam. Frankly, I don't think anyone did. </p>

</p>

Either way, it proves to the naysayers that there are some gay players out there who don't give a shit about that gay stuff on the field. Its all about taking care of business and he proved it. Sure, the sacks he did weren't against quality opponents, but he did enough good defense out there to warrant the award. </p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
I would almost guarantee at this point that he will get picked. Even if it's the 7th round. He has to be otherwise the NFL is going to have to Pr nightmare on their hands. Obviously he should get picked on his merits alone, but we've already anonymously heard from teams that will be staying away from him.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="221421" data-time="1392180529">
<div>

Aint no room for gays in football!!</p>

</p>

All that ass slapping and tight football pants wearing shit will be ruined once a homo starts doing it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Just think if he was a center or QB, all those snaps.  Going into shotgun formation, on occassion, to cool down. :eek:rcs-buttshake:</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="221425" data-time="1392189409">
<div>

If only people knew about the jokes we make about some football players just making themselves obvious about it, too... </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

This is why I think his jersey sales are going to be excellent next year. I just don't know if the team gets cuts of that or what but I assume. You are going to see his jersey in every stadium next year whether he's playing that day or not. Even more so if the NFL fucks this up an it becomes a PR nightmare. Someone is going to get a steal with this kid because he is indeed really good and I think that his value may drop some because of the circus but who knows. GMs have "anonymously" came out saying when this broke that the kid was overrated and not that good but we will never know if it's because of his actual skill or because the don't want him in their locker room. The reverse of that is that now that he's made it a story there will be puppet heads like Mel Keiper who will overvalue him just based on the story alone.</p>

</p>

Either way this is great for the league. But as has been mentioned it's truly sad that this is a story and is going to probably continue to be a story for years to come. Not Sam as a gay player but gay players in general will continue to be a headlining story and that's too bad. It's great for them, but they shouldn't have to announce or hide their sexuality. I can see all the telecasts now, "Welp folks, that right there was the first confirmed Gay sack of a QB, on the field and not in Brady's bedroom"... hiyo... or their will be story about the first Gay QB, or the first Gay First Rounder, or god forbid down the road the first GAY #1 pick... who the fuck cares.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="221443" data-time="1392226738">
<div>

This is why I think his jersey sales are going to be excellent next year. I just don't know if the team gets cuts of that or what but I assume. You are going to see his jersey in every stadium next year whether he's playing that day or not.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

http://www.quora.com/Do-individual-NFL-players-make-money-when-their-jerseys-are-sold</p>

</p>

Jersey revenue is collected in terms of license fees and this is then shared between the league and players. In other words Reebok has paid the NFL for the right to produce jerseys. It's this fee that goes into a pool of revenue that is shared with players, akin to TV revenue.

...</p>

</p>

Interestingly enough though, there is a penalty to any player who decides to change his number or name after a seasonal deadline set by Reebok. It's part of the licensing deal to protect the manufacturer and (presumably) their distributors from holding on to dead product. A player who still wants to make the jersey switch must effectively buy the back catalog of jerseys from the supplier. For example, when Chad Johnson changed his name to Chad Ochocinco in August 2008, he balked at having to pay Reebok's penalty for switching jerseys and waited until the 2009 season  before he could wear official "Ochocinco" jerseys.</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
This commentary captures it perfectly.</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olc5C4SXAYM</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mikita's Helmet" data-cid="221439" data-time="1392223200">
<div>

Just think if he was a center or QB, all those snaps.  Going into shotgun formation, on occassion, to cool down. :eek:rcs-buttshake:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

:icon-lol: And think about the final scene in Old Yeller</p>

</p>

I totally agree with Tone , who cares, just put the pads on and play. That's how any GM in the league should view it.</p>

</p>

I think if he is on the board when a team needs the type of player he is graded out to be he will be chosen. For an undersized speed rusher he looks real good if you compare his college highlights to the Bears 1st rounder in 2012 Shea McClellin another undersized speed rusher, Sam looks to be a much better candidate to play that role on an NFL team. </p>

</p>

His jersey sales will be more robust than most rookie D linemen but not earth shattering.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
There's a difference between how GMs should view this and how they actually view it in reality. Again, that's why to even people who don't care if a player is gay or not, him coming out like that still has to be seen as important, as needed. Because it is. Gotta start somewhere.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We shall see, of course there are those who still have a "dark age" mentality and would pass on him regardless of whether or not they needed a player of his skill set. </p>

</p>

He came out to his college team and it didn't seem to matter to his team mates. But now that he has came out publicly I'm sure the meatball NFL fan will be hating on him.</p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="221482" data-time="1392254485">
<div>

This commentary captures it perfectly.</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olc5C4SXAYM</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

That guy. That guy nailed it.</p>

</p>

however I do put this in the dont care pile with ton. I get why it is important, I just dont give a flying fuck what your sexual orientation is.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="221425" data-time="1392189409">
<div>

If only people knew about the jokes we make about some football players just making themselves obvious about it, too... </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

My wife holds Gridiron football up there with WWF (I refuse to call it WWE)--it's not a sport, it's a sexual preference.</p>

</p>

Not that there's anything wrong with that...</p>

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
nobody made a joke about him going to the "Rams" yet?</p>

</p>

maybe it would have been funnier if he went to the "Packers"</p>