Michael Sam soon to be first openly gay active NFL player

Variable

Liked Posts:
Pretty damn brave of him, but even more so in another way that he does it before the draft, where you have to imagine, with some of the dinosaurs still working in the NFL, it could hurt him as far as where he's drafted. Or maybe not.  It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It probably goes both ways. Some teams may elevate his status simply because they want the story.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
I was thinking about that too, but then I remembered the Mike Priefer story from this past season and how he still has his job, and how Leslie Frazer was able to find another job almost immediately  after that (thanks to good ole Lovie). And that wasn't even dealing with a gay player, that was all dealing with simply TALKING about gay rights. Two examples out of a really bad story that you would think would go against the grain of what is tolerated by most people watching and that teams would stay away from that kind of bad PR and yet there they are, employed.</p>

</p>

When the NFL is still okay with allowing bigoted coaches in their league, you'd have to assume that for a player like Sam, the road is that much tougher.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter, this dude will probably set Rookie Jersey records</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="221343" data-time="1392053627">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Doubt it... I bet there are more people that will hate on him than buy his jersey.  Sad, but I bet that's the way it goes.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäläinen" data-cid="221344" data-time="1392053676">
<div>

Doubt it... I bet there are more people that will hate on him than buy his jersey.  Sad, but I bet that's the way it goes.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I bet he'll be a rallying cry for the gay community, and a lot of non-gay people will buy his stuff just to show support. It will be the new "color" of the NFL. They better hope he goes to a big market team or San Fran.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I hope so.</p>

</p>

I just can't wait for all this race/sexuality crap to stop being news.</p>

</p>

Now if we could just get rid of other controversial topics like politics and abortion... that would be great.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="221343" data-time="1392053627">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

You better believe it matters. Like I said, that whole other story was about a player simply talking about gay rights.  He was just talking about it, supporting it, he isn't gay.  Plus, players don't  see money from their individual jersey sales and/or if their jersey is selling more than others. All that money is shared throughout the league.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I think he will get drafted. Maybe not as high as 3rd round like many had speculated, but drafted nonetheless.

Good for him. I'm kind of shocked he would do this before the draft, while he has no contract yet when he could do this after being drafted, have a contract in place, and not be afraid of being black-balled (no pun intended). Shame we have to think about it that way, but the world hasnt completely changed for the better yet.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
Bears have the front office and coach that would be a perfect landing place for a player like Michael Sam. Problem is we definitely don't need another undersized defensive end, unless we're moving to 3-4.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Some of the reason why he may get passed over isn't due to teams being bigoted, but just because there are probably a lot more teams out there, right or wrong, that don't want THAT type of attention or spot light on them going into a season. Reading some articles, that's a lot of what some people in the NFL have been saying. That teams aren't out there looking for a story like him to overcloud their entire lead up to the season.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="221350" data-time="1392056532">
<div>

I think he will get drafted. Maybe not as high as 3rd round like many had speculated, but drafted nonetheless.

Good for him. I'm kind of shocked he would do this before the draft, while he has no contract yet when he could do this after being drafted, have a contract in place, and not be afraid of being black-balled (no pun intended). Shame we have to think about it that way, but the world hasnt completely changed for the better yet.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

He had already came out to his team at Missouri during the season probably wasn't much longer that it would have went public anyway. Didn't work out too bad for them.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="221355" data-time="1392059678">
<div>

He had already came out to his team at Missouri during the season probably wasn't much longer that it would have went public anyway. Didn't work out too bad for them.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

My question is how did it not leak somehow to the media when 60+ people knew about it for a whole season?</p>

</p>

That's a tight locker room and kudos for the coach for having that much control.  And to his teammates who respected him enough to not leak that info.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäläinen" data-cid="221356" data-time="1392059752">
<div>

My question is how did it not leak somehow to the media when 60+ people knew about it for a whole season?</p>

</p>

That's a tight locker room and kudos for the coach for having that much control.  And to his teammates who respected him enough to not leak that info.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Exactly. and it definitely wasn't a distraction because they went to the title game, and he still was the defensive player of the year. Probably just goes to show there are a lot more gay football players than people want to think. I hope as the story continues and grows that it will lead to a landslide of admittance.</p>

Ton

Liked Posts:
Personally, I put this in the "Who Cares" pile... only because I really don't care what anyone's sexual orientation is, at this point I think it's pretty damn ignorant for anyone to discriminate towards sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever the fuck is next. But unfortunately, there are still people out there that do. For that reason, I hope this sparks some change.</p>

</p>

It's still good to hear, but dammit I hope we can get to a point where people don't have to identify their sexual orientation publicly to force that change. WHO CARES! That should be the damn message. People will be people.</p>

</p>

<span style="color:#800080;">Judge them for their personality, not their life choices. Want to marry a tree? GO FOR IT!</span></p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tony DeFrancesco" data-cid="221418" data-time="1392178254">
<div>

Personally, I put this in the "Who Cares" pile... only because I really don't care what anyone's sexual orientation is, at this point I think it's pretty damn ignorant for anyone to discriminate towards sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever the fuck is next. But unfortunately, there are still people out there that do. For that reason, I hope this sparks some change.</p>

</p>

It's still good to hear, but dammit I hope we can get to a point where people don't have to identify their sexual orientation publicly to force that change. WHO CARES! That should be the damn message. People will be people.</p>

</p>

<span style="color:#800080;">Judge them for their personality, not their life choices. Want to marry a tree? GO FOR IT!</span></p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Dude Mike Sam's own dad went to the bar after he heard the news to "cope with it".</p>

</p>

That's how fucking far backwards our society is.</p>

</p>

It's so sad.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Aint no room for gays in football!!</p>

</p>

All that ass slapping and tight football pants wearing shit will be ruined once a homo starts doing it.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tony DeFrancesco" data-cid="221418" data-time="1392178254">
<div>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

But like you say, we aren't there yet. That's why this has to be a big story and not just something that happens without anyone thinking twice. It's part of the process in order to eventually get to that point. But for now, things like this have to get the spotlight shined on them. It has to made a big deal because, right now, it is a big deal.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Found this on the Trib....

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

</p>

VOTE: Would you be OK with Bears drafting Sam?
<p class="" style="font-weight:bold;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;font-size:15px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">Would you be OK with the Bears drafting Michael Sam?</p>
<ul>[*]

Yes (4537 responses)</p>
<div style="margin:0px;">
<p class="" style="font-size:18px;color:rgb(255,255,255);background-color:rgb(0,84,149);font-family:'Helevetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">79%</p>
</div>

[*]

No (1195 responses)</p>
<div style="margin:0px;">
<p class="" style="font-size:18px;color:rgb(255,255,255);background-color:rgb(0,84,149);font-family:'Helevetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">21%</p>
</div>

[/list]<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;font-size:15px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">5732 total responses</p>
<p class="" style="font-size:11px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">(Results not scientific)</p>

</p>
</blockquote>

Interesting with this vote... All I will say is I'm not surprised... but I'll be getting his jersey when and if it does emerge. </p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="221421" data-time="1392180529">
<div>

Aint no room for gays in football!!</p>

</p>

All that ass slapping and tight football pants wearing shit will be ruined once a homo starts doing it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

If only people knew about the jokes we make about some football players just making themselves obvious about it, too... </p>