2014 Offseason Thread

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
This emo thread got stickied faster than the Game 6 GDT.

Good job mods. I'm going to report you all to the Admin who shows up here once a month.

Lol.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope to see Zus and Khabby retire.   Regin and Brookbank released.   Versteeg and Leddy traded.   Resign Smith, Morin and Raanta.   </p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimzus" data-cid="231559" data-time="1401690053">
<div>

This emo thread got stickied faster than the Game 6 GDT.

Good job mods. I'm going to report you all to the Admin who shows up here once a month.

Lol.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Quicker than a Grimson ban. </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I figured it was only fitting. This way nobody dwelled to long on such a dramatic loss to the season.

I don't want to see Leddy go. He's essentially going to be Hammers partner when Oduya is gone. He's the best pure skater on the Hawks and is still developing on defense considering his age.

Despite Versteeg having a cap friendly contract, his skill isn't NHL friendly. Too many turnovers and doing too much with the puck. He's lost a step and is a bit timid on the ice (which forces him to rush the play).

Zeus is gone, and had he been a 4th line center he would of been fine this season. Unfortunately he can't be a 2nd liner.

I won't be surprised to see one of the following to get traded for cap reasons: Sharp, Bickell or Seabs. Sharp wasn't on this offseason, but I still think he's the best of the bunch. Bickell is overpriced for his contributions over the course of a season. Sure, his playoff contributions are great, but are they 4 mill worthy? Not with the salary cap. Seabs, while being a solid two-way defensemen, I think could be the potential guy traded. Would the Hawks miss him? Yes. But I think we have some prospects who could move up soon and fill a spot on the 2nd pairing for and Hammer move up to the 1st.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I think there's a couple of routes to go -</p>

</p>

1)Stay the course (letting the pipeline continue to develop) - would mean very minor moves (Handzus retiring, Regin going, Borrokbank going) - possibly moving Oduya or Rosival.</p>

</p>

That would mean TT, Dahlbeck, Johns, Nordstrom, Morin all battle for roles.</p>

</p>

Probably look to sign/trade for a bottom 6 vet for depth</p>

</p>

Try to keep about 1-1.5mil in cap space to acquire something if needed during the year.</p>

</p>

2) Make a move for a top 6 (either Kesler or E.Kane) - would recquire moving TT and/or Leddy.  Would probably have to move Oduya/Versteeg for cap reasons as well.  This would then force 2 young Dmen to play.  I think this would depend on the confidence in the development of that D group of prospects in how ready they are.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="231567" data-time="1401718747">

I figured it was only fitting. This way nobody dwelled to long on such a dramatic loss to the season.

I don't want to see Leddy go. He's essentially going to be Hammers partner when Oduya is gone. He's the best pure skater on the Hawks and is still developing on defense considering his age.

Despite Versteeg having a cap friendly contract, his skill isn't NHL friendly. Too many turnovers and doing too much with the puck. He's lost a step and is a bit timid on the ice (which forces him to rush the play).

Zeus is gone, and had he been a 4th line center he would of been fine this season. Unfortunately he can't be a 2nd liner.

I won't be surprised to see one of the following to get traded for cap reasons: Sharp, Bickell or Seabs. Sharp wasn't on this offseason, but I still think he's the best of the bunch. Bickell is overpriced for his contributions over the course of a season. Sure, his playoff contributions are great, but are they 4 mill worthy? Not with the salary cap. Seabs, while being a solid two-way defensemen, I think could be the potential guy traded. Would the Hawks miss him? Yes. But I think we have some prospects who could move up soon and fill a spot on the 2nd pairing for and Hammer move up to the 1st.</p></blockquote>

Agreed but that's why the hawks loaded the prospect pipeline.

Olsen can step in for seabrook, pirri can replace handzus and Hayes can take bickells spot.

Oh waaaaaaaaait.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'd look to stay the course. No reason to get rid of TT and Leddy who have some cap friendly contract to go after another top 6, unless it's an amazing #2 center. I think Shaw did very well centering Saad and and Kane.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
 I don't think they can afford to move Bickell or Seabrook - their skill set is something the Hawks lack too much of</p>

</p>

</p>

I'd love to see Sharp moved...but that may be too much of a PR hit that McDonough may not enjoy.  I think a team like PITT, FLA, or WINN would be great fits for Sharp if the Hawks wanted to move him.  Maybe even Carolina</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Olsen is the only one I wish we hadn't traded TBH. Would make moving Seabs a little easier.

I'm also not bashing Seabs, as I really like him. But if we do need to move someone, he might he easier due to his age and ability.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'd love to see Paul "PMXs lover" Stastny here, but that will cost too much.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I didn't take it as bashing....just not sure how ready some of the other Dmen will be</p>

</p>

Johns may be a guy to fill his role, but may be a year or two away</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Huge Statsny fan.  He will get well over paid to go somewhere else though as a UFA </p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
The center route will have to be the trade route....Kesler, Nielson with the Isles has been a target in the past, Gagner...Skinner in CAR</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Or let TT develop into that center, which most are hoping he will. The time to grab a 2C was the last 3 seasons. Now, not so much.</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmxzus" data-cid="231578" data-time="1401719656">
<div>

The center route will have to be the trade route....Kesler, Nielson with the Isles has been a target in the past, Gagner...Skinner in CAR</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

No faith in TT?</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I don't know about faith...haven't seen too much of him...he definitely sounds like he's going to be good.  But..he's only 170lbs..that can wear on him as a center. </p>

</p>

Getting a guy like Kesler - who's a Selke winner, RH Center, very good on draws, physical, friends/chemistry with Kane - may help win now with guys like Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook getting up there</p>

</p>

It would cost TT...which very well may bite them in the ass I'm sure in years 7-8 when the kid hits his prime if he pans out...but all that is up to the scouts/front office</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sharp has a NMC and a limited NTC.   May be difficult to move him.   Bickel has a modified NTC might be easier to trade.</p>

</p>

Trading Leddy and Versteeg frees up 4.9 million in cap space.   </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
If you can't trade Seabs, than don't trade Leddy. Outside of Keith, we don't have that type of puck carrying/possession style dman in the pipeline ready for NHL duty. I don't understand the Leddy hate (or dislike). Next to Keith, he's the best puck moving dman on the team. If Oduya wasn't here, he'd be 2nd pairing.

Also, with TT having the potential he has, I'm not willing to trade him for Kesler. Think about the offensive damage he could do against a teams 2nd and 3rd D pairing. Kesler is a great player, but the cap hit won't be worth it with the potential TT has.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Clendening is supposedly a good puck mover.  The name to watch offensively on the blue line for the Hawks is Van Riemsdyk (22yrs old already)</p>

</p>

I think if Leddy is moved, Oduya stays.  And/or the other way around...</p>

</p>

Leddy is a fantastic skater, but not sure how smart he is....he'd definitely bring more back than Oduya</p>