2014 Offseason Thread

Variable

Liked Posts:
The whole trade Sharp thing has been beat to death. From Bowman saying there wouldn't be any major moves to Sharps agent coming out and literally saying Bowman told him he wasn't being traded, I never saw it happening. Would he be easier to move? Of course. Doesn't make it the right move.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I take anything a players agent says with a grain of salt. His agent also said that bowman told him Sharp would be the last person traded, which obviously isn't true.

Just gonna have to wait and see I guess, but truth be told, Sharp leaving the Hawks wouldn't bother me one bit. While he's been a great player on the Hawks, I've never liked him one bit. Probably has to do with his "pretty boy" image but I won't be too upset when he's gone via FA, trade or whatever.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Sort of  a bullshit reason especially when it's the media that portrays that image more than the player.</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
For all of Sharp's indisputable handsomeness, when he's playing his type of game, he's a gritty forward. The reason Sharp is a bit more expendable than, say, Bickell is that the Hawks have Sharp 2.0 in Saad. There's nobody who can replace Bickell's size and power game until McNeill is ready.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="235146" data-time="1407109268">

Sort of a bullshit reason especially when it's the media that portrays that image more than the player.</p></blockquote>

I've had this dislike and pretty boy mentality towards him since we got him years ago. He's soft and rarely gets involved in the dirty areas. It's been a running joker forever amongst my uncle and I that when Sharp attempts to hit someone or tries to be physical that we suggest he should "hit him with your (Sharps) purse".

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think guys like Sharp, Bickell, or Leddy are going to be gone this season.  Before the following season it's a high possibility.</p>

</p>

And the last time we saw Sharp's grittiness, Kopecky wailed on his ass.  He plays with a chip but is not on the same level as, Shaw.  Ideally he shouldn't need to be.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
I'll take a "soft" player that played a huge role in winning two Cups any day. I would roll my eyes when some people here would say things like we're spoiled when people are discussing flaws in the Blackhawks or criticizing them after a loss or something, because it shouldn't matter. But on things like this, yeah I agree with that sentiment. We're fucking spoiled when someone can say I don't want a player who has been a leader on the team for years, played a huge role in 2 Cup wins and is one of the better two way wingers in the league all basically because he's good looking?  Dear god lol.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="235161" data-time="1407180349">

I'll take a "soft" player that played a huge role in winning two Cups any day. I would roll my eyes when some people here would say things like we're spoiled when people are discussing flaws in the Blackhawks or criticizing them after a loss or something, because it shouldn't matter. But on things like this, yeah I agree with that sentiment. We're fucking spoiled when someone can say I don't want a player who has been a leader on the team for years, played a huge role in 2 Cup wins and is one of the better two way wingers in the league all basically because he's good looking? Dear god lol.</p></blockquote>

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had to like everyone and not have an opinion about players.

I laid out why I've never cared much for him, manly because he acts tough but is far from it. Last guy to go to the dirty areas and has that "pretty boy" persona about him. Didn't say I don't want him on the team as hes a good two way player while also being a great goal scorer. I just don't like him.

Variable

Liked Posts:
No one said you had to, just the reasons for it are silly, like the pretty boy thing. And as far as how he plays, like Lord said, ideally he shouldn't need to be a guy like Shaw.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="235163" data-time="1407188981">

No one said you had to, just the reasons for it are silly, like the pretty boy thing. And as far as how he plays, like Lord said, ideally he shouldn't need to be a guy like Shaw.</p></blockquote>

Unfortunately Sharp isn't good enough to excuse him from going to the grimy areas on the ice unlike say Kane or a Kessel type player.

Fuck, Hossa has had more injury issues and he's willing to muck it up.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="235164" data-time="1407192948">
<div>

Unfortunately Sharp isn't good enough to excuse him from going to the grimy areas on the ice unlike say Kane or a Kessel type player.

Fuck, Hossa has had more injury issues and he's willing to muck it up.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

It's one of the reasons Hossa's most likley future HoF, and Sharp's not--not that I don't like Sharp; hell, the trade that brought him here is still the typical definition of "Highway Robbery".

Ultimately though if Saad or Shaw are to become a member of the core, chances are a core member has to leave.  Hoss--especially if he keeps up his level of play is too valuable--his 2-way play is so good that the only player who could match is Toews.  Even if he does decline a bit you're still dropping off from a HoF-caliber level.  Seabs is a rare RHD on our squad, and one with skill to boot. He likleystays unless a guy like Johns becomes all-star caliber in a season.  That basically leaves Sharp.

</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
I think we'll find out over the next couple of years that the "core" is actually 3 guys - Keith, Kane and Toews.</p>

Maiden

Liked Posts:
Better put Crawford in that group (not by my choice)</p>

6 years at 6 mil per = better not be another Huet</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimdust" data-cid="235173" data-time="1407330526">
<div>

Huet doesn't have a Stanley Cup ring.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I believe he does--he was Niemi'a backup.</p>

</p>

I personally think there's a few levels of "Core":</p>

</p>

The deepest level is Toews and Kane; the franchise players--essentially those you give up your firstborn to keep on the squad.</p>

</p>

The next 2 levels are parallel, IMHO.  Basically the deep core:  They are the guys who are just under "Franchise", or are on so cap-friendly hits that you don't want to move them unless the return is something like, hell Ellison for Sharp.  Seabrook falls under the former.  Hammer falls under the latter.  Keith falls under both.</p>

</p>

The main core on our team IMHO includes only Crawford (right now).  He has the hardware to prove his worth and is on a commensurate contract with his ability (gauged based on similar contracts of similar goalies).  Further enhancincig his core status is the fact that, Like seabrook, there's no one in the system that has a realsitic shot at replacing him in the foreseeable future.</p>

</p>

The fringe core right now consists of 2 guys:  Hossa and Sharp.  The reason I consider them fringe is because of all the players aforementioned, they are the ones who have the most relaitic shot of being replaced in the core--by aging or by another player outplaying them.  However, this is not really a reflection of thier ability as much as it is the current conditions or the state of the team.</p>

</p>

Saad, Shaw, and Leddy just miss out.  A good year can put them in the main core; a bad year can fully remove them from the team.</p>

</p>

In other words: in order of likeliness of being traded, from least to most with respect to my core defintions:</p>

</p>

Toews    Kane</p>

Keith</p>

Seabrook    Hammer</p>

Crawford</p>

Hossa  Sharp</p>

---- <--core limit</p>

Saad</p>

Shaw    Leddy</p>

...</p>

...</p>

...</p>

...</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I think Sharp is too high on that list and Saad too low. Unless Sharp takes less money on his next contract he's as good as gone.

Saad hasn't even hit his peak and unless someone offers something of high value (A Getzlaf or Doughty) he's not going anywhere.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Hossa will never be with another NHL team. Ever. The risk is just too great. And Saad should be here for years to come. The way he's able to drive possession rivals some of the best players in the league let alone the team. And he's barely just starting out. I still gotta laugh when some here were seriously saying Saad could be replaced by someone in Rockford. They honestly believed that.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
Saad replaced by someone in Rockford. Who ever said that gets nominated right now for the FrankG Memorial trophy.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="235175" data-time="1407342082">
<div>

I think Sharp is too high on that list and Saad too low. Unless Sharp takes less money on his next contract he's as good as gone.

Saad hasn't even hit his peak and unless someone offers something of high value (A Getzlaf or Doughty) he's not going anywhere.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Saad can still peter out at this point in his carrer.  I don't think he will, but it's possible he comes in the league like Daze, Samsonov, Ruutu, etc. and tails off.  IMHO this next season is his proving ground.  A halfway decent year from him and I have no doubts he'd swap into the core and swap Sharp out--unless Sharp puts up a Gretzky-like year ;). </p>

</p>

My list was as of *right now*  Sharp's an aging 30+ goal scorer.  Saad hasn't hit his peak, but he hasn't broken 30, either.</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="235176" data-time="1407347675">
<div>

Hossa will never be with another NHL team. Ever. The risk is just too great. And Saad should be here for years to come. The way he's able to drive possession rivals some of the best players in the league let alone the team. And he's barely just starting out. I still gotta laugh when some here were seriously saying Saad could be replaced by someone in Rockford. They honestly believed that.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

See above about Saad.  I don't think Saad will drop off, but it's still possible as of right now.

As for Hoss, I doubt he's traded over Sharp--especially with the aforementioned Recapture risk.  However, if he takes a nosedive not unlike the career of Joey Lawrence, something will likley be done--like an unspecified LTIR a la Pronger.</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Maiden" data-cid="235179" data-time="1407356829">
<div>

Saad replaced by someone in Rockford. Who ever said that gets nominated right now for the FrankG Memorial trophy.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Saad's role could.  Saad himself, probably not.  If my prediciton is correct Saad will fall into Sharp's role, and someone else in Rockford right now could fall into Saad's role</p>