2014 Offseason Thread

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="235799" data-time="1410481798">
<div>

Yep. Last season was as great year for Hossa, probably the best he's ever had in that regard. And he finished as high as he ever had for the Selke, 5th. But, that was still WAY behind the other 4 players. He had 4%  of the total vote, zero first place points. Lame. Don't think winning the Selke will ever happen for him unfortunately.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Which is exactly why I don't think any award in sports should every be awarded by the press via a popularity contest.  I think Crawford was snubbed out of a Conn Smythe, and last year Hoss was snubbed out of a Selke. Ability and raw numbers take a back seat to name recognition, and I think that weakens the sport in general.</p>

</p>

Ahh well, I'll get off the stump, for now. :)</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
The awards that get voted on by the hockey writers are mostly based on reputation and whatever the sport journalist echo chamber have been on about over the season. That's how Lidström won his last Norris. The Selke has been awarded to centers for a number of years and it seems that has become the norm and wingers have been forgotten. And I doubt these journalists follow games that closely, especially not the West coast games and most of writers are somewhere near the East coast. They check the box score from the Western games the next morning.</p>

</p>

The MVP award has also bothered me. It's easy to give it to the player who scores the most, but the award is about the player who is the MVP of his team. And that's why I wished the writers would look at what context players are in. I am sure there are cases where it could be argued that a player that might not be the highest on the stat sheets could still have played a very large role in the success of his team, even larger than the player who won the Art Ross Trophy and therefor be more worthy of the Hart Trophy.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Spunkus Porkstandzus" data-cid="235815" data-time="1410651973">
<div>

:text-yeahthat:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

x2</p>

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="roshinaya" data-cid="235813" data-time="1410595163">
<div>

The awards that get voted on by the hockey writers are mostly based on reputation and whatever the sport journalist echo chamber have been on about over the season. That's how Lidström won his last Norris. The Selke has been awarded to centers for a number of years and it seems that has become the norm and wingers have been forgotten. And I doubt these journalists follow games that closely, especially not the West coast games and most of writers are somewhere near the East coast. They check the box score from the Western games the next morning.</p>

</p>

The MVP award has also bothered me. It's easy to give it to the player who scores the most, but the award is about the player who is the MVP of his team. And that's why I wished the writers would look at what context players are in. I am sure there are cases where it could be argued that a player that might not be the highest on the stat sheets could still have played a very large role in the success of his team, even larger than the player who won the Art Ross Trophy and therefor be more worthy of the Hart Trophy.</p>

</p>

Agreed...those writers would have to know what they are doing an pay attention then.</p>

</p>

One that always kills me is when they say the MVP cannot go to a goalie because the Vezina exists for best goalie...by that logic it should never go to a forward because the Ross, Richard and Selke exist and should never be a Defenseman because the Norris exists.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Nah  not really, there are different roles that fowards play compared to being a goalie. You've gotta be a fucking great goalie to win the Hart, at least for that one season. That's one thing I'll agree with. Doing things nobody has seen the likes of since Hasek. That's how good you have to be. </p>

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimdust" data-cid="235820" data-time="1410669931">
<div>

I like turtles.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

i-like-turtles.jpg
</p>

Let turtles be, let Wales be, let me be.</p>

</p>

outlaw-josey-wales-3.jpg
</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Training Camp begins as we inch ever closer to official puck drop for the 2014/15 season.   </p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimdust" data-cid="235820" data-time="1410669931">
<div>

I like turtles.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Yeah, Dustin Brown is pretty good.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Forklift" data-cid="235881" data-time="1411082338">
<div>

Yeah, Dustin Brown is pretty good.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Nice!</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just an FYI for those that are capgeek watchers, the reason it appeared they were still over the cap after the moves was cap geek not factoring in the 27% of Rundblad salary being paid by the Yotes</p>

</p>

Good job Stanbo</p>