Hawks sign Rasmussen to 1 year deal

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="232458" data-time="1403059445">
<div>

Good. fuck Statsny...didnt want him anyways.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZ78PwXCjw</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmikezus" data-cid="232448" data-time="1403041574">
<div>

They should come out with a way, to trade away a player or players with equal salary or to relieve some salary, to they can take on/add more.  Would be interesting</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

You mean someone "Sharp-like"?</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="232441" data-time="1403036951">

What's knee jerk about saying what Versteeg is? He's been that way for years. Why do you think he'll change now? You want to know a real example of an unrealistic, knee jerk reaction is?  People wanting the the Hawks to go out and get a center with cap hits that range from 5-7 million dollars and multiple years left on their contracts while the Hawks only have about 4.5m in cap space with several players and a back up goalie left to sign along with Toews, Kane and Saad's contracts expiring. That's a fucking knee jerk reaction.</p></blockquote>
If you think Versteeg has always been as bad as he was this past season, then yes you are knee-jerk "what have you done for me lately" reactionary. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt due to his knee surgery. And I am not saying Versteeg is some world beater, he will always try to dangle and cough off the puck on the blue line and do some stupid shit, but he can also be a reliable and versatile player that is good for 20ish goals a year if he gets the opportunity and at $2.2M it's worth having around to see if he can return to that Versteeg. If not then his low caphit is sure to get some interest from other teams despite him not being as good as he used to be. There are plenty of dumb GM's out there.
Agreed on getting a big money center is a knee-jerk reaction.

Variable

Liked Posts:
He's always had the same problems, yes. Always. We know what he is now. He scored 20 goals playing with guys like Toews and Kane and Sharp  and one of the best overall teams the NHL has seen in recent history when he was here before and 20 goals on  an average to bad Florida team where he was their best offensive forward and most of everything went through him. On this team, he's a third liner who is slower than he was and possibly even more prone to horrible turnovers and bad decisions...and yes if you want to overlook all those negatives (keeping in mind this is a a team where puck possession is everything) given enough ice time he can score 15 something goals. The Hawks have Smith who played mostly on the 4th line who is much more dependable and valuable and who scored 14-15 goals playing the majority of his time there with fucking Bollig on his line.</p>

</p>

So yeah, I'd rather give that opportunity to someone like Morin or Smith to see what he can do and what he can be. I know what Versteeg is and no thanks.</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
He was coming off major knee injury - which every athlete and doctor will tell you takes a full 12 months to recover.  Not sure why that's difficult to understand.</p>

</p>

To say he'll get you 15 somthing goals - when he's scored 22,20,21 and 23...and has an avg of 20 in his 5 year careed...is a bit short.  Lets forget about his assists too - and he's averaged 48pts a season. </p>

</p>

Prior to his major knee injury, he was a top 6 forward in the league as a 27yr old.  In the 349gms prior to a major knee injury, he had 212pts.  So if a full off-season of rehab helps him regain his speed, he's making 2.2mil, avg 50pts, can play either wing and center and is a 28 year old with a bit of experience, is a good thing for the third line and depth over players who don't have a combined 50pts in the league. </p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember the Versteeg!!!! thread?   He was a key part of the 2010 cup season.    And who could forget the limo pictures.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmikezus" data-cid="232483" data-time="1403103620">
<div>

He was coming off major knee injury - which every athlete and doctor will tell you takes a full 12 months to recover.  Not sure why that's difficult to understand.</p>

</p>

To say he'll get you 15 somthing goals - when he's scored 22,20,21 and 23...and has an avg of 20 in his 5 year careed...is a bit short.  Lets forget about his assists too - and he's averaged 48pts a season. </p>

</p>

Prior to his major knee injury, he was a top 6 forward in the league as a 27yr old.  In the 349gms prior to a major knee injury, he had 212pts.  So if a full off-season of rehab helps him regain his speed, he's making 2.2mil, avg 50pts, can play either wing and center and is a 28 year old with a bit of experience, is a good thing for the third line and depth over players who don't have a combined 50pts in the league. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Well if he's as valuable as you think he is, and you're hardly ever wrong, then he should bring back a pretty good draft pick(s). Those are a whole lot of big "Ifs" you're talking about.  Because he's always had the same problems, they're only worse now, regardless of what condition his knee is in, those turnovers and bad decisions aren't because his knee was injured, if it was then he's had an injured knee his entire career.  He just hasn't learned to take better care of the puck. I'd say he would be a perfect trade opportunity for Toronto if the Hawks hadn't already traded him to Toronto before lol. But as badly as that organization is run, I'd say try again for the hell of it. There's much more value in the cap space he'd free up for the Hawks rather than the type of play that he would bring the Hawks.</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Yes...maybe he could bring the Hawks a 20g-50pt player to play on the third line</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
And your novels on fighting and visors are so insightful....please tell me more!</p>

</p>

And+you+read+it+in+your+own+voice+Please+tell+_37cd719e0cd565973f235828c5c91497.jpg
</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmikezus" data-cid="232502" data-time="1403129269">
<div>

Yes...maybe he could bring the Hawks a 20g-50pt player to play on the third line</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Smith would probably project to be pretty much around a 20-20 player  if he had the type of minutes Versteeg got on the power play time and along with playing with better players that Versteeg did on a consistent basis. And all without the constant stick handling into turnovers and bad decisions. Not to mention being able to actually take a draw, which you seem to think is strength of Versteeg's.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="232510" data-time="1403133482">
<div>

Variable,on 18 Jun 2014-6:18 PM, said:</p>

Smith would probably project to be pretty much around a 20-20 player  if he had the type of minutes Versteeg got, the type of power play time he got along with playing with better players that Versteeg did on a consistent basis. And all without the constant stick handling into turnovers and bad decisions. Not to mention being able to actually take a draw, which you seem to think is strength of Versteeg's.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Can't rail on Handzus anymore so now Steeg. Who knows if he'll even be at camp. If I remember 2 years ago you were the one harping on how we needed to have Stalberg and the speed he brings, Hawks won a cup that year with him being scratched after the first series. Lets say for shits and giggles Steeg gets traded over the summer, Morin seems to maybe be the guy to make it out of camp and get that spot. I guess Bollig will be the player who catches your wrath, but if Morin doesn't play up to expectations will he be the guy in your doghouse? So next season it will be either Bollig or Morin as your whipping boys, Smith will be solid, I'm excited to see him next season.</p>

</p>

Maybe you'll throw a curve to my speculation and ride Bickell if he doesn't meet your expectations.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
If you can't see that Bollig is by far the worst player on the team, then it's not even something to try and discuss. Won't even bother with him anymore. Q will probably continue to dress him for as long as he's here, and that's just the way it's going to be.</p>

</p>

As far as Stalberg goes, all I said in regards to him during the playoffs was he needs to be dressed over Bollig, simply because he's a better player no matter how flawed he was and even if speed was his only true strength. You could trust him more than Bollig. Bollig was even worse back  then than he is now.  I didn't say anything about needing to keep him, especially at the price he got. Fuck that.</p>

</p>

Handzus, I mean....... how does this argument even exist anymore? With the immediate difference that we saw once he was moved? How is there even anything left to say about that?  Why even bring him up? It was a move that was called for all season and it was proven to be the right move as soon as it fucking happened.</p>

</p>

I don't blame the players for being what they are, it's not as much Handzus (especially Zus)  or Bollig or Versteeg as being "whipping boys"  but rather how the coach chooses to continue ad nauseum to employ those players in roles/situations where it's obvious that it's not working out.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was never a Handzus fanboy I was surprised he was back for this last season but it was what it was with him. No tears from me that he's gone.The constant bitching is old and you still don't know the reasoning Q had for icing him over the shortcomings of the player  you wanted so stfu. He is not the reason Hawks didn't make the finals.</p>

</p>

As far as Bollig, look around the league and compare him to other 4th liners, he's just a 4th line player what the hell do you expect?</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
You don't have to look around the league to find better 4th line players, all you have to do is look within the Hawk' system, you'll easily find a few.</p>

</p>

And I was never making an argument that Handzus was the reason they didn't make the Final. Not sure where you are getting that from. Whatever Q's reasoning was with keeping Zus on the second line for as long as he did, none of it beats the results he instantaneously got when he finally moved Handzus off that line. It's inarguable at this point. He didn't belong there. Just because Q wanted him there and tried his damnedest to make it work, doesn't mean he was right or that we shouldn't or can't criticize him for it. That's ridiculous. I don't care what secret reasons he may have had, they were proven wrong.</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Not sure where anyone said versteeg's strength is taking draws, but keep reaching

It's also pretty funny your idea that scoring 20g in this league is easy. Just give everyone more ice time and they'll score more goals!! Done!!

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Of course...playing 4th line is simple. Put any 20 year old there. There's a reason all the top teams have specific role players for the fourth line...but the Hawks should throw some green 20yr old there for 8min a night. It's simple

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmikezus" data-cid="232520" data-time="1403145057">
<div>

Not sure where anyone said versteeg's strength is taking draws, but keep reaching

It's also pretty funny your idea that scoring 20g in this league is easy. Just give everyone more ice time and they'll score more goals!! Done!!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I'm not reaching, you're trying to say Versteeg is versatile. You said he can play center. Versteeg can play center like Bollig can play center. As in you can put him there  and technically he can be called a center. You can say that about anyone.</p>

</p>

And if Smith can score 14 goals playing mostly with Bollig and Kruger and little to no power play time, what do you think he could do if he were given time with Shaw or Bickell or Toews or Kane along with a 2nd  unit PP spot like Versteeg was given throughout the season? Score less? I didn't say more ice time alone, I said more ice time on the power play and with better teammates.</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Maybe. Some players aren't suited to play more minutes. Kruger didn't produce more points when given time at second line center. Bolland didn't when put there.

But I guess in your world it's as simple as that. Keep going