Where do you rank Jon Lester among SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lefties: Kershaw then 2-5 in any order Sale, Lester, Price, Hamels. They are all close and it depends on the year.

Righties: A lot closer. King Felix I feel is still #1. After that Wainwright and Scherzer fall. Then Grienke and Price.

Bumgardner has to prove that he can provide that dominance in 162 vs a 7 game series before he is put into this class

Price must be damn good to finish on the top of the list of lefties, and also the righties.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Sale. Ha ha. That guys arm is going to break off any time now.

Every team in baseball would kill to have Chris Sale on their staff on the world's cheapest deal for an ace until 2019.

I especially like him because he's the anti-Keith Law/anti sabremetric player. I believe I recall Law ripping the white sox for taking him, saying he shouldn't even have gone in the top 50 because he has average stuff that wouldn't translate. He's a twtw guy (cant believe I just cited that Special person Harrelson) and you need those guys.

Because Keith Law is a horse's ass.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think in general there's about 12 or so pitchers that you take over the next three years over Lester. After that there is a group of guys like Fernandez, Gray, Ryu, Shark, Q, Gonzalez, Zimmermann that Lester falls into.

That's some pretty darn good company.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every team in baseball would kill to have Chris Sale on their staff on the world's cheapest deal for an ace until 2019.

I especially like him because he's the anti-Keith Law/anti sabremetric player. I believe I recall Law ripping the white sox for taking him, saying he shouldn't even have gone in the top 50 because he has average stuff that wouldn't translate. He's a twtw guy (cant believe I just cited that Special person Harrelson) and you need those guys.

Because Keith Law is a horse's ass.

I dont care for Law from time to time, but I believe Law's beef with sale was he didnt like his motion and his body size. I think his main issue was he thought he would never be able to withstand a starters work load over time.

Last edited:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Every team in baseball would kill to have Chris Sale on their staff on the world's cheapest deal for an ace until 2019

There was a rumor going around Boston before the meetings and the Lester drama that the Red Sox would have been willing to give up Xander Bogaerts, plus their top two prospects Blake Swihart (C) and Henry Owens (LHP) for Sale. If true that's quite the thing. That's more than they would give up for Hamels because of both age and money. Frankly if I was the White Sox and heard that deal I probably would have taken it which I why I question it's veracity, but not a lot of people flinched at that talk. That's how valuable Sale is.

As far as Lester, yeah 12 guys ahead and another 8 guys to round out a top 20 and he fits towards the top of that second group. That's the defintion of a #1 starter in a league with 30 teams. That's damned good.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The op specifies who you would want for the next three years. It's not asking you for a snapshot of who is best now. This is why including Sale is laughable.

I would definitely want all of those guys the next three years.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Depends on what metric you use, but some of the names I've seen on these lists are good pitchers, but you'd be asinine to rank them ahead of Lester, who SHOULD have improved metrics in the National League.

You never know if Jose will ever be the same. Look at Verlander. His fastball dropped from 98 to 94 and now he's nowhere near the same. Jose's stuff was nasty...but we will have to see in June/July of 2016 if he will become what he once was. For that reason, I have Lester ahead of him. And I already mentioned Verlander. I cant see why anyone would want Verlander ahead of Lester...before OR after Cubs-fan bias.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I dont care for Law from time to time, but I believe Law's beef with sale wasnt he didnt like his motion and his body size. I think his main issue was he thought he would never be able to withstand a starters work load over time.

Yes, it's the same argument that says CJ Edwards isn't a starter. I disagreed with it on Sale I don't buy it with Edwards either.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Depends on what metric you use, but some of the names I've seen on these lists are good pitchers, but you'd be asinine to rank them ahead of Lester, who SHOULD have improved metrics in the National League.

You never know if Jose will ever be the same. Look at Verlander. His fastball dropped from 98 to 94 and now he's nowhere near the same. Jose's stuff was nasty...but we will have to see in June/July of 2016 if he will become what he once was. For that reason, I have Lester ahead of him. And I already mentioned Verlander. I cant see why anyone would want Verlander ahead of Lester...before OR after Cubs-fan bias.

Spot on

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, it's the same argument that says CJ Edwards isn't a starter. I disagreed with it on Sale I don't buy it with Edwards either.

Perhaps I am romanticizing Chris Sale, but Edwards was never as dominant or highly thought of as Sale was at the same points.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps I am romanticizing Chris Sale, but Edwards was never as dominant or highly thought of as Sale was at the same points.

Sale may have overall better stuff but Edwards is still a top 5 rhp in the minors. He would maybe be top 10 overall if it wasn't for the durability concerns. His minor league numbers are insane. He has allowed like 2 home runs the past two seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Sale may have overall better stuff but Edwards is still a top 5 rhp in the minors. He would maybe be top 10 overall if it wasn't for the durability concerns. His minor league numbers are insane. He has allowed like 2 home runs the past two seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My top RHP in the minors are:

Lucas Giolito
Noah Syndergaard
Archie Bradley
Tyler Glasnow
Jon Gray

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

No, I think you're right and I haven't seen Edwards ranked that high either. I was merely speaking to the durability argument.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I have little argument with names people have listed as "ahead of" Lester. Most of then I would also have listed, no problem.

I agreed with the poster who called out Sox fans who were downgrading Lester since he became a Cub, but there is far more of that happening here to Sale than to Lester.

I don't expect Lester to get everyone out every day. Nor do I expect him to be Top 12-15 in 5 years. That's common sense. But that doesn't make the contract bad. As has been discussed here, they need him to be an ace for a year or 2 or 3, then a solid #2 or 3 for a while. I am OK with that.

You can't buy a guy's Year 1, 2 or 3 without also paying for Years 5 or 6 or 7. That's simply the nature of Free Agency.

I'd be happy with most anyone discussed here, and some will be available next year, and almost certainly on the Cubs radar.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I have little argument with names people have listed as "ahead of" Lester. Most of then I would also have listed, no problem.

I agreed with the poster who called out Sox fans who were downgrading Lester since he became a Cub, but there is far more of that happening here to Sale than to Lester.

I don't expect Lester to get everyone out every day. Nor do I expect him to be Top 12-15 in 5 years. That's common sense. But that doesn't make the contract bad. As has been discussed here, they need him to be an ace for a year or 2 or 3, then a solid #2 or 3 for a while. I am OK with that.

You can't buy a guy's Year 1, 2 or 3 without also paying for Years 5 or 6 or 7. That's simply the nature of Free Agency.

I'd be happy with most anyone discussed here, and some will be available next year, and almost certainly on the Cubs radar.
Unless I missed posts, the only one that downgraded Lester was a cub fan because he did poorly in a 2014 playoff start.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Unless I missed posts, the only one that downgraded Lester was a cub fan because he did poorly in a 2014 playoff start.

I saw the post accusing people of it, but didn't see the posts where they actually did.

Unless I count you putting two-month Tanaka up there. If Tanaka was a Cub, and had that season, he wouldn't be in your top 20. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.