Where do you rank Jon Lester among SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me phrase it like this:

Don't factor in money or future contracts or tradability or anything like that, just answer the question as it is

If you could have any starting pitcher in MLB for the next 3 years and the next 3 years only on your favorite team, who would you for sure take before Lester?

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Outside the top 10 for starting pitching. Probably 14-16 range.

1--Kershaw
2--King Felix
3--Chris Sale
4--Wainwright
5--Baumgardner
6--Jose Fernandez
7--Grienke
8--Scherzer
9--Cueto
10--Hamels
11--Price
12--Verlander
13--Garrett Richards

14-16 with Lester, Gio Gonzales and Stratsburg. Tanaka in there too......

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sale, King Felix, Kershaw, Cueto, Price, wainwright, Scherzer, tanaka, Darvish, Grienke, Bumgardner, Strasburg, Hamels

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

1--Kershaw
2--King Felix
3--Chris Sale
4--Wainwright
5--Baumgardner
6--Jose Fernandez
7--Grienke
8--Scherzer
9--Cueto
10--Hamels
11--Price
12--Verlander
13--Garrett Richards

Good list but Verlander at 12, now? He'd be below Lester for me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well that's your meatball opinion. Verlander is a superior pitcher to Lester......

Verlander was not good last year and it remains to be seen whether that was an aberration, or his reduced velocity is a sign of impending decline. No way was verlander better in 2014, but he was prior to that.

It's Tanaka, Darvish and Bumgarner that I question.

As great as Bumgarner is in the WS, he has not been among the tops in baseball in the regular season. At his age, he may very well be in the next few years, but it's not a slam dunk.

Tanaka was excellent in the two months he pitched before going down with injury. He hasn't shown he can be a better bet going forward yet.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Well that's your meatball opinion. Verlander is a superior pitcher to Lester......

He WAS a better pitcher. He's not currently. If you want to go historical, don't forget about Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson. They were both superior to Lester as well.

Liked Posts:

1--Kershaw
2--King Felix
3--Chris Sale
4--Wainwright
5--Baumgardner
6--Jose Fernandez
7--Grienke
8--Scherzer
9--Cueto
10--Hamels
11--Price
12--Verlander
13--Garrett Richards

Sale. Ha ha. That guys arm is going to break off any time now.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Verlander is on the decline. Leyland taxed the shit out of that arm before he could even turn 30.

He is toast.

Getting back to Lester.
I would say Lester is in the top 10. In no particular order: Kershaw, Felix, Sale, Scherzer, Wainwright, Price, Lester, Darvish, Quintana, Zimmerman.

Fernandez is still up in the air after TJ.

Just because Lester is a Cub now doesn't mean he sucks all of the sudden....

Liked Posts:
Verlander is on the decline. Leyland taxed the shit out of that arm before he could even turn 30.

He is toast.

Getting back to Lester.
I would say Lester is in the top 10. In no particular order: Kershaw, Felix, Sale, Scherzer, Wainwright, Price, Lester, Darvish, Quintana, Zimmerman.

The op specifies who you would want for the next three years. It's not asking you for a snapshot of who is best now. This is why including Sale is laughable.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

He is toast.

Getting back to Lester.

You forgot Cueto.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Historically true. But I think the prevailing opinion and evidence is that Justin might be done.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The op specifies who you would want for the next three years. It's not asking you for a snapshot of who is best now. This is why including Sale is laughable.

You are so jealous

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Not really, have you seen Verlander lately? Since the last couple of months of 2013 he's struggled and his numbers are down across the board. In that same time period Lester's numbers have improved and are better that Verlander's (outside of K's and even that is closer than it should be). Career wise Verlander is the better pitcher but now, today, money being equal would you seriously take a year of Verlander over a year of Lester? Based on recent numbers and the eye test I would not and would say that regardless of where Lester was playing.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Sale is a top five pitcher in the game by any measurables you choose and I'm no Sox fan. If I had to bet I'd say the kid has two Cy Young awards in him the next five years and has already finished in the top 5 in voting twice and in the top 6 three times. I have no idea why including him would be "laughable".

Six

Liked Posts:
1: Kershaw
2: scherzer
3: Lester
4: Bumgardner
5:Wainwright
6: Felix
7:Hamels
8:Sale
9:price
10: Grienke
I refuse to put johnny cuetos one lights out season on my list.
I also think Verlanders drop in velocity just makes him an also ran with the ability to have a lights out start here and there. Top 15, but not 10 anymore.
You cardinal and chisox fans are wanting so bad to make Lester out as no good. Hate to burst your faux bravado bubble, but the guy is one of the best in the game.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1: Kershaw
2: scherzer
3: Lester
4: Bumgardner
5:Wainwright
6: Felix
7:Hamels
8:Sale
9:price
10: Grienke
I refuse to put johnny cuetos one lights out season on my list.
I also think Verlanders drop in velocity just makes him an also ran with the ability to have a lights out start here and there. Top 15, but not 10 anymore.
You cardinal and chisox fans are wanting so bad to make Lester out as no good. Hate to burst your faux bravado bubble, but the guy is one of the best in the game.

Please explain to me how taking 15ish guys for sure ahead of Lester makes him out as "no good?"

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lefties: Kershaw then 2-5 in any order Sale, Lester, Price, Hamels. They are all close and it depends on the year.

Righties: A lot closer. King Felix I feel is still #1. After that Wainwright and Scherzer fall. Then Grienke and Price.

Bumgardner has to prove that he can provide that dominance in 162 vs a 7 game series before he is put into this class

Status
Not open for further replies.