BJ Upton

Six

Liked Posts:
Beat writer on MLB network, for the Braves just mentioned the Cubs and moving BJ for Ejax. Bad contract for bad contract, maybe a change of scenery, etc. Now sure, I'm tired of the "he played for Joe Maddon" reasoning also. But is it worth a shot? answers the CF question if he can be what he was a few yrs back. what do you think?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Beat writer on MLB network, for the Braves just mentioned the Cubs and moving BJ for Ejax. Bad contract for bad contract, maybe a change of scenery, etc. Now sure, I'm tired of the "he played for Joe Maddon" reasoning also. But is it worth a shot? answers the CF question if he can be what he was a few yrs back. what do you think?

One more year on the contract than Jackson and $40 million plus left on the table for a bad player with a .620 OPS? No thank you.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If Atlanta would eat the difference I'd be... i don't wanna say ok but it wouldn't make me mad. At this point Jackson is a tied up roster slot for someone they don't need. Upton would at least be something different.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I think both have very little chance of resurrecting their careers. Ejax is effectively done as a MLB player and it's doubtful he'll be able to play any type of role at the major league level ever again.

I'm not sure I want BJ Upton even if Atlanta ate the difference. Tough call on two bad players.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
BJ... Yes, please! Upton... eh, he strikes out too much. We already have some of those guys.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
BJ... Yes, please! Upton... eh, he strikes out too much. We already have some of those guys.

I'd rather stick E-Jax in the pen for 11 million, than have BJ Upton adding hacking to an already hacking team.

BJ Upton would go totally against what they are trying to do IMO, which is add OBP, and lower the strikeouts. :shrug:

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I'd rather stick E-Jax in the pen for 11 million, than have BJ Upton adding hacking to an already hacking team.

BJ Upton would go totally against what they are trying to do IMO, which is add OBP, and lower the strikeouts. :shrug:

Exactly. And that's why he would make no sense and probably isn't even on Theo's radar.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I was thinking this would happen. He had success under Joe Maddon in the past. The odds of Upton being a average player next year for the Cubs, are better than Jackson becoming an average player for the Cubs.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I was thinking this would happen. He had success under Joe Maddon in the past. The odds of Upton being a average player next year for the Cubs, are better than Jackson becoming an average player for the Cubs.

Yes, but you can work around E-Jax in the pen, and if nothing else, he can eat innings if they are getting blown out.

Not that I don't want to trade him, but rather than just swap bad contracts, I would wait until the dust settles on the pitching front, and when their are no pitchers left, hopefully the Cubs could ship him off to a team needing a number 5 pitcher, and said team would have to pay 3-4 million for him and the Cubs eat 7-8 million annually.

If that could happen, the Cubs essentially could thrust that saved money into the corner outfield position or back-up catcher if they do indeed trade Castillo out.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

stop with the maddon shit please for one.

bj upton is awful. id rather chance it with ejax than a real bad position player

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yes, but you can work around E-Jax in the pen, and if nothing else, he can eat innings if they are getting blown out.

Not that I don't want to trade him, but rather than just swap bad contracts, I would wait until the dust settles on the pitching front, and when their are no pitchers left, hopefully the Cubs could ship him off to a team needing a number 5 pitcher, and said team would have to pay 3-4 million for him and the Cubs eat 7-8 million annually.

If that could happen, the Cubs essentially could thrust that saved money into the corner outfield position or back-up catcher if they do indeed trade Castillo out.

You can also work around a 5th OF. Let's not act like Upton would start. I mean if there are other options out there for Jackson, or they want to keep him, then this conversation is null and void.

stop with the maddon shit please for one.

bj upton is awful. id rather chance it with ejax than a real bad position player

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll talk about the spects so you can complain about that

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
BJ Upton finished the greatest professional game I ever saw in person with a GS to beat the opponent 5-4 in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. on opening night at AAA Durham

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Both suck. Less investment wins out. Rather them trade for Swisher.

Tampabear

Liked Posts:

Yes, but is that what you want? An overpriced, average at best player for that $$$? He never came near his potential in Tampa Bay under Maddon except for that brief run in the playoffs the year they went to the series. He is the only player that we ever saw Maddon actually discipline. Pulled him out off 2 or 3 games for not running out ground balls. This was before he got paid.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Nah......2 more years of Ejax versus, what--3 more years and more money per year of BJ Upton?

Keep Ejax and make him an expensive bullpen option. Its only 11 mil a year.