BJ Upton

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Typical Cubbie move, bringing in an overrated, troubled player with a bad contract. Have they learned nothing from history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Typical Cubbie move, bringing in an overrated, troubled player with a bad contract. Have they learned nothing from history?

Criticizing the Cubs for a trade they have no intention on making .... typical Sox fan! :dunno:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

I like to think they did...

Isn't that why Ricketts hired Epstein, kept a really low budget where EJax's 11 mil was the highest salary last year, and built up a farm system?

How is Jackson 'troubled?' I wouldn't say that, I'd go as far to say since what, 8+ years ago when he first came into the league, teams rode his arm and he gained the persona of 'innings eater,' or a guy who could go out every 4th day and throw 140 pitches and give your pen a rest.

This isn't the times of old, pitchers aren't men anymore.......they need rest, and as soon as 100 pitches lights up the scoreboard, everybody shits themselves.

Plus I like to think his solid contributions to tanking are the reason you're going to wish you had Kris Bryant on your team very, very soon......

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This isn't the times of old, pitchers aren't men anymore.......they need rest, and as soon as 100 pitches lights up the scoreboard, everybody shits themselves.
LOL. That's very true, patg006.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
LOL. That's very true, patg006.

Call me whichever, I'm not KB this time. Don't get your panties in a twist......

A couple years back, when Washington shut down Stratsburg for the rest of the year and the postseason after he had a hell of an all star, in Cy Young conversation I believe it was 2012--they were Special person.

But that's the new age thinking. Save guys. Fuck it man, when you're in the playoffs.......ride your work horses. Madison Baumgartner is a fantastic example. If the cubs ever get an ace like that in the near future, they gotta do it too come the postseason.

If they get there.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Call me whichever, I'm not KB this time. Don't get your panties in a twist......

A couple years back, when Washington shut down Stratsburg for the rest of the year and the postseason after he had a hell of an all star, in Cy Young conversation I believe it was 2012--they were Special person.

But that's the new age thinking. Save guys. Fuck it man, when you're in the playoffs.......ride your work horses. Madison Baumgartner is a fantastic example. If the cubs ever get an ace like that in the near future, they gotta do it too come the postseason.

If they get there.
Yep. Good thoughts. One of the few people in baseball who disagrees with the current thought process of low pitch counts is none other than Nolan Ryan.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to take each pitcher case by case. It is stupid to say there is a 1 way or a right vs wrong way.

If a guy has been durable through the minors and has proper mechanics then ride him.

But the best approach is to have a strong pen. There is no need to run a guy up to 130 pitches per game.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I stated this here before, but I would love for an organization to bring back a four man rotation at the MLB level.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ownership would like that. Save $$$.

I believe that there was 148 games vs 162 with teams had 4 man rotations. Add to it the mounds were higher.

70's they started to specialize in BP's and closers as SP started to get their IP cut.

Ryan was old school and pitched into his 40's but he is one case. Not the norm.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ownership would like that. Save $$$.

I believe that there was 148 games vs 162 with teams had 4 man rotations. Add to it the mounds were higher.

70's they started to specialize in BP's and closers as SP started to get their IP cut.

Ryan was old school and pitched into his 40's but he is one case. Not the norm.

I agree, but it could be the norm. It would take an organizational change from the bottom up to the top.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, but it could be the norm. It would take an organizational change from the bottom up to the top.

I believe it would take more then that. I believe in college they pitch every 7 days. I read thats why Mark Appel had some trouble adjusting because he was pitching way more then in college.

Edit note: I could be wrong but it is something to that effect. Dont have time to look it up this am.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I believe it would take more then that. I believe in college they pitch every 7 days. I read thats why Mark Appel had some trouble adjusting because he was pitching way more then in college.

Edit note: I could be wrong but it is something to that effect. Dont have time to look it up this am.

I'm not sure that matters either way. Training regimes I would imagine are much different in the minors.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure that matters either way. Training regimes I would imagine are much different in the minors.

It matters. Going from 7 days to throwing every 4 would need a lot more training of the arm. Also, with pitching injury epidemic going on. I doubt any team is gonna push for that

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It matters. Going from 7 days to throwing every 4 would need a lot more training of the arm. Also, with pitching injury epidemic going on. I doubt any team is gonna push for that

Well even in the days of four man rotations it eventually caused the pitcher to go from more rest to less so I don't see the difference.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would rather see 6 man rotations with a regular weekly off day. So pitcher A would be Monday then Tue etc. Then let them have heavier pitch counts. Like 150 ish or more. This would lessen the need to run 7 guys in the pen. SP would be getting into the 8th more and complete games would increase.