Is keeping Jimmy Butler going to be an issue?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I really do not want to lose him and if he keeps this up, he will get a max contract from somebody...

Are the Bulls going to be able to pay him? Will it be at the cost of somebody like Joakim Noah or Taj Gibson?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
the cap is going up so we'll be able to keep him and it not handicap us

although i wouldn't rule out them trading Taj to save $$ and propel Nikola but hopefully its for something worth while

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Regardless of the cap, yes we can pay him. Bird rights allow us to go over whatever to sign him, so we could match any max deal he gets. How much the cap goes up is only affects the ramifications of doing so. If the cap is what it is now, we're likely going to be approaching the luxury tax barrier again, but if everything goes up like it is expected to, we'll just be over the regular salary cap.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Bulls will not lose Butler. He's a key member of the core now, and the Bulls have historically paid their core players.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Why should keeping Jimmy Butler be an issue? I was told in the thread below he only plays well when Rose is on the court...

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
He's the 2nd best SG in the league....how can there be a problem?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He will not be going anywhere.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
We can cover it. But that's all we'll be able to do. Any other signings will be minimums and birds.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We can cover it. But that's all we'll be able to do. Any other signings will be minimums and birds.
The only other key FA's are Brooks and Dunleavy, who will be replaceable. Beyond that this team will stay intact next season.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The only other key FA's are Brooks and Dunleavy, who will be replaceable. Beyond that this team will stay intact next season.

I don't see Brooks as a key FA because they've already replaced that position 3 times now with no problem.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't see Brooks as a key FA because they've already replaced that position 3 times now with no problem.
Well.. I meant hes a key to this team but yes him and Dunleavy are replaceable. Some team will be dumb enough to give him a larger contract.

czman

Liked Posts:
Butler probably played the best game of this career last night. I don't think we should use last night as a measuring stick.

I think it is too early to know what Butler will get. Until last night he was on a sharp downward trend. My suspicion is that what happens in Nov and Dec are not nearly as important as where he in March and what he does in the playoffs.

I think it is prudent, but not likely, that people should slow down on Butler. Let's see where he ends up before we call him the 2nd best SG in the league; especially because Harden and Thompson are still playing.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butler probably played the best game of this career last night. I don't think we should use last night as a measuring stick.

I think it is too early to know what Butler will get. Until last night he was on a sharp downward trend. My suspicion is that what happens in Nov and Dec are not nearly as important as where he in March and what he does in the playoffs.

I think it is prudent, but not likely, that people should slow down on Butler. Let's see where he ends up before we call him the 2nd best SG in the league; especially because Harden and Thompson are still playing.
But could we say "for a short period, Butler was playing like the 2nd best SG (possible best two way SG) in the league"? I think that's a fair assessment for what he did early on.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well.. I meant hes a key to this team but yes him and Dunleavy are replaceable. Some team will be dumb enough to give him a larger contract.

Maybe detroit or denver... nope they are filled... but yeah someone will.

czman

Liked Posts:
But could we say "for a short period, Butler was playing like the 2nd best SG (possible best two way SG) in the league"? I think that's a fair assessment for what he did early on.

You think he was playing better than Harden and Thompson? OK, I don't feel he has played better then them. Difference of opinion I guess.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You think he was playing better than Harden and Thompson? OK, I don't feel he has played better then them. Difference of opinion I guess.
In terms of offensive and defensive contributions together I think the argument could be made that early on in the season Butler was playing better than both. You are of course entitled to disagree entirely. If you ask me who the best SG in the league is I will still say James Harden.

Just saying though, Jimmy's November numbers are quite comparable to Thompson's.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

Sharp downward trend?? Over the past 5 games (not including last night's career performance) Butler was averaging 18.5 ppg, a mere 3 pts lower than his season average, which coincided with Rose taking more control of the scoring. That does not constitute a "sharp downward trend". He had only 1 game in that stretch with less than 15 pts (11 pts against the Blazers). He's still leading the team in scoring (21.5 ppg) tied for 12th in the league, just a mere .1 ppg behind Klay Thompson, and is tied for 2nd in the league in free throws attempted. He's played in 23 games (over a 1/4 of the season so far) & has shown no signs of slowing down.

There is reason to believe Butler can continue this upward trend in performance since his entire career has been an upward trend. He's improved every season he's been in the NBA and I don't really see that stopping because of how hard of a worker he is. I agree that he needs to maintain this consistency of production for the remainder of the year but at this point so far, I don't see how anyone can argue against him being top 3 at his position.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butler's size, strength, explosiveness, and athleticism gives him the highest ceiling of any 2 guard in the league.

And the fact that he has a very high basketball IQ, makes it a real possibility that he will realize his potential, and become the best 2 guard in the league.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is going to be a Max player.