Is keeping Jimmy Butler going to be an issue?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i don't think thats a problem but in Jimmy's mind if he feels hes secure he''l ease off the gas a bit

not saying he totally stop trying but in the back of his mind he's telling himself to take it easy until that contract is signed....this is a business after all

now matter what he says he got his best interest in mind
That's true of any player, especially when they're going for their first big contract. What good is it if he plays like a monster all year but then gets a freak injury trying to get his 10 FTAs per game? Or so the player logic goes anyway. Not saying he'd get injured if he tried.

I think we'll see his level of play rise...the whole team was playing bad and he was no exception. He still needs to earn the max by playing well to finish the season. A good playoff run would seal the deal. However, holding back a bit now to save it for later is not out of the question.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
That's true of any player, especially when they're going for their first big contract. What good is it if he plays like a monster all year but then gets a freak injury trying to get his 10 FTAs per game? Or so the player logic goes anyway. Not saying he'd get injured if he tried.

I think we'll see his level of play rise...the whole team was playing bad and he was no exception. He still needs to earn the max by playing well to finish the season. A good playoff run would seal the deal. However, holding back a bit now to save it for later is not out of the question.

yeah thibs is riding him hard

having to check the best wing player and score 20 a game will playing 40+ every night is tough work

at this rate he wont having anything left come playoffs

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah thibs is riding him hard

having to check the best wing player and score 20 a game will playing 40+ every night is tough work

at this rate he wont having anything left come playoffs
People must remember that having to guard the opposing team's best perimeter player while also being your own team's best perimeter player is usually not conducive to success on both those fronts. Something's got to give. I'm fine with Jimmy's offensive usage dropping if he's locking up the other team's main guy. I'm not going to expect him to do what he did against Houston every night, nor do I think that's realistic for anyone to expect (duh?). Things like FG% and free throw rate are things that I'll want to remain high, even if his points and attempts drop.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
People must remember that having to guard the opposing team's best perimeter player while also being your own team's best perimeter player is usually not conducive to success on both those fronts. Something's got to give. I'm fine with Jimmy's offensive usage dropping if he's locking up the other team's main guy. I'm not going to expect him to do what he did against Houston every night, nor do I think that's realistic for anyone to expect (duh?). Things like FG% and free throw rate are things that I'll want to remain high, even if his points and attempts drop.
Unless you're Michael Jordan....

1987-88 40 mpg, 35.0 ppg, 3.2 spg 1.6 bpg.... won MVP and Defensive Player of the Year.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless you're Michael Jordan....

1987-88 40 mpg, 35.0 ppg, 3.2 spg 1.6 bpg.... won MVP and Defensive Player of the Year.
This is part of why Jordan is GOAT lol

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

players might think about that kind of stuff during downtime, but during games it doesn't cross their mind. Thibs is jimmys biggest hurdle, when jimmy got into foul trouble early in the game last night it was the best thing that could of happened to him. he sat for a little bit and when he came back in later, he seemed to have that bounce back in his step that seemed to be lacking the last couple weeks. if thibs would just lower his minutes about 5 min per game less, it would do wonders for jimmys longterm durability this season for sure

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is part of why Jordan is GOAT lol
112771-Simon-Pegg-beer-gif-Imgur-Winc-Ypb0.gif

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
players might think about that kind of stuff during downtime, but during games it doesn't cross their mind. Thibs is jimmys biggest hurdle, when jimmy got into foul trouble early in the game last night it was the best thing that could of happened to him. he sat for a little bit and when he came back in later, he seemed to have that bounce back in his step that seemed to be lacking the last couple weeks. if thibs would just lower his minutes about 5 min per game less, it would do wonders for jimmys longterm durability this season for sure
Perhaps. I mean, it does make sense for him to hit a physical wall at some point. It's quite difficult to go night in and night out locking down the other team's best player and then go be the best player on the other end for 40 minutes a night. It wears you out. This is why Lebron guards spot up shooters so often for 3 quarters (if he can). Part of the reason he's played poorly is likely due to fatigue.

Either way, yes less minutes = better durability long term

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Perhaps. I mean, it does make sense for him to hit a physical wall at some point. It's quite difficult to go night in and night out locking down the other team's best player and then go be the best player on the other end for 40 minutes a night. It wears you out. This is why Lebron guards spot up shooters so often for 3 quarters (if he can). Part of the reason he's played poorly is likely due to fatigue.

Either way, yes less minutes = better durability long term

for sure. thibs just doesn't have other wing defenders he truly trusts to come in for jimmy and guard the other teams best wing scorer

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
for sure. thibs just doesn't have other wing defenders he truly trusts to come in for jimmy and guard the other teams best wing scorer
Most teams don't have two lockdown guys like that. Imo this is where Snell can really carve out a role for himself.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Most teams don't have two lockdown guys like that. Imo this is where Snell can really carve out a role for himself.

doesn't have to be another lockdown guy. just a 6'5 - 6'9 wing defender that thibs trusts to always be where he is supposed to be on the defensive end. I do agree that is where snells best chance is of sticking on this roster and getting some minutes. he has the height, length, and athleticism for it. consistency has been his issue

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
doesn't have to be another lockdown guy. just a 6'5 - 6'9 wing defender that thibs trusts to always be where he is supposed to be on the defensive end. I do agree that is where snells best chance is of sticking on this roster and getting some minutes. he has the height, length, and athleticism for it. consistency has been his issue
lol well you said guard the other team's best guy. 99% of the time this is going to be the lockdown guy, especially in the playoffs. Imo Snell has sort of already worked his way into Thib's mind as another wing defender who is in the right spots. Hinrich pseudo fits this category as well. Even Moore in small stretches can do this.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
lol well you said guard the other team's best guy. 99% of the time this is going to be the lockdown guy, especially in the playoffs. Imo Snell has sort of already worked his way into Thib's mind as another wing defender who is in the right spots. Hinrich pseudo fits this category as well. Even Moore in small stretches can do this.

hinrich and moore lack the ideal height for it though. and I guess I should have been more clear, which is my fault...im saying when jimmy goes to the bench a guy comes in and guards the other teams best wing scorer for the 5 min or so of time jimmy is on the bench. jimmy only goes to the bench though when the other teams #1 scorer goes to the bench, so the sub would be guarding the other teams best bench scorer. that's why he doesn't have to be a lockdown defender

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
hinrich and moore lack the ideal height for it though. and I guess I should have been more clear, which is my fault...im saying when jimmy goes to the bench a guy comes in and guards the other teams best wing scorer for the 5 min or so of time jimmy is on the bench. jimmy only goes to the bench though when the other teams #1 scorer goes to the bench, so the sub would be guarding the other teams best bench scorer. that's why he doesn't have to be a lockdown defender
Yeah I got you. This is why I bothered mentioning Hinrich and Moore in the first place. A lot of times 6th man scorer types aren't that big so a guy like Hinrich can D them up fine. Not everyone is JR Smith :smug:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah I got you. This is why I bothered mentioning Hinrich and Moore in the first place. A lot of times 6th man scorer types aren't that big so a guy like Hinrich can D them up fine. Not everyone is JR Smith :smug:

haha this is true. however, when you bring up JR smith...its very possible we have to beat Cleveland at some point in the playoffs....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
haha this is true. however, when you bring up JR smith...its very possible we have to beat Cleveland at some point in the playoffs....
JR Smith will beat himself though so...

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Diggler0013

Liked Posts:
Butler probably played the best game of this career last night. I don't think we should use last night as a measuring stick.

I think it is too early to know what Butler will get. Until last night he was on a sharp downward trend. My suspicion is that what happens in Nov and Dec are not nearly as important as where he in March and what he does in the playoffs.

I think it is prudent, but not likely, that people should slow down on Butler. Let's see where he ends up before we call him the 2nd best SG in the league; especially because Harden and Thompson are still playing.

You can have harden ill take butler over him every time. Butler wins, period. he makes winning plays. harden makes losing plays. plays zero defense and has youtube videos highlighting that fact. you dont win anything that matters with players like him. Why do you try to discredit good players. I also forgot to mention the alshon Jeffery thing earlier. You said he would be a bust... I said he would be a stud. You said he cant run routes blah blah. Why do you hate so much on your teams players... Now Thompson is good no doubt. Butler and Thompson are absolutely in the same conversation as far as two guards for now. Lets wait and see what happens in games that matter though. Crunch time defines you. Otherwise at best you're just Dan Marino lee Westwood or Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing....

Lets also not forget in the beginning of the season butler played through injury.... Pretty good IMO. This little phase of butler not scoring as much is because rose is playing more and getting more shots. Theyll figure it out. Also dunleavy not playing and spreading the floor.

Just root for butler, or you'll get served.

czman

Liked Posts:
Blah.......blah......blah

This kind of sucks. I have a stalker. Just my luck though. I get the Special person 8 year old. I don't get the crazy hot chick and 3 weeks of great sex.

Some people have all the luck.

Diggler0013

Liked Posts:
Don't flatter yourself. I didn't care to get on here because the bulls had no chance the last several years. Plus on cbs I got tired of arguing with you about dumb crap like your "facts" about Marco being better than butler and asik being a higher priority than Gibson. I'm just here to say told you so. You can deny it all you want but I know. No worries though I'm sure you'll have more facts for me in the future. I believe you that you don't get the hot chicks though!