Pete Prisco going rouge: One stat that largely defines why Jay Cutler is having such

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Pete's in your corner Jay...along with a few posters here...

One stat that largely defines why Jay Cutler is having such a bad season

Benched and ridiculed Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has thrown 332 passes when his team has been behind, a clear indicator that he's usually in scramble mode, which can make it tough to play quarterback in the NFL.

Even more telling, 213 of those passes have come when the Bears have been behind by nine or more points.

To put that in context, here are the pass attempts from behind for the quarterbacks of some of the league's best teams, with their attempts behind by nine or more points in parentheses.

Peyton Manning -- 228 (117)
Russell Wilson -- 148 (39)
Tom Brady -- 163 (67)
Aaron Rodgers -- 164 (69)
The disparity is unreal. It's a reflection of how poorly the Bears have been on defense this season, ranking dead last in points allowed. That leads to a quarterback pressing. That's when mistakes are made. Here's another stat: When Cutler and the Bears went to the NFC Championship Game after the 2010 season, he only attempted 63 passes when trailing by nine or more points.

Cutler has 18 interceptions this season, tops in the league, but only three of those have come in the first quarter, the fewest he's thrown in any quarter. Seven of his interceptions have come on attempts 30 and above in games. That's scramble mode.

Yet as Cutler heads to the bench, replaced by Jimmy Clausen in one of the strangest moves a coaching staff has ever made, he leaves vilified by the NFL media and fans alike.

Yes, his body language is terrible at times. Yes, he makes pouty faces and seems to be bothered to be on the field. That's disturbing. That's something that has to change.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...es-why-jay-cutler-is-having-such-a-bad-season

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Pete's in your corner Jay...along with a few posters here...

One stat that largely defines why Jay Cutler is having such a bad season

Benched and ridiculed Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has thrown 332 passes when his team has been behind, a clear indicator that he's usually in scramble mode, which can make it tough to play quarterback in the NFL.

Even more telling, 213 of those passes have come when the Bears have been behind by nine or more points.

To put that in context, here are the pass attempts from behind for the quarterbacks of some of the league's best teams, with their attempts behind by nine or more points in parentheses.

Peyton Manning -- 228 (117)
Russell Wilson -- 148 (39)
Tom Brady -- 163 (67)
Aaron Rodgers -- 164 (69)
The disparity is unreal. It's a reflection of how poorly the Bears have been on defense this season, ranking dead last in points allowed. That leads to a quarterback pressing. That's when mistakes are made. Here's another stat: When Cutler and the Bears went to the NFC Championship Game after the 2010 season, he only attempted 63 passes when trailing by nine or more points.

Cutler has 18 interceptions this season, tops in the league, but only three of those have come in the first quarter, the fewest he's thrown in any quarter. Seven of his interceptions have come on attempts 30 and above in games. That's scramble mode.

Yet as Cutler heads to the bench, replaced by Jimmy Clausen in one of the strangest moves a coaching staff has ever made, he leaves vilified by the NFL media and fans alike.

Yes, his body language is terrible at times. Yes, he makes pouty faces and seems to be bothered to be on the field. That's disturbing. That's something that has to change.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...es-why-jay-cutler-is-having-such-a-bad-season

Decent read, hard to argue with that.. and to add to that, how many of those passes have come at 2nd/3rd long. nothing more annoying than seeing trestman call pass plays 1st and 2nd constantly throughout the season leaving his QB in the hole every time.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Cutler has also turned the ball over when the Bears are not behind or not behind by a lot. And I'm talking about more than the 3 picks the article states.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
But in reality this entire offense has been a disaster. 10 to 20 yard gains brought back because of holding or some other penalty. 10-20 yard gains void because of a fumble. 2nd and short to go and lose 5 or more yards cause of a sack, sometimes 2 or 3 sacks in a row. The O was supposed to be the strong point of the team and has been pathetic.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
Cutler has also turned the ball over when the Bears are not behind or not behind by a lot. And I'm talking about more than the 3 picks the article states.
You might want to read it again. He said three in the 1st Q. Not 3 when leading, tied or down by less than 9 points.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Total self fulfilling theory. You play horrible, thus you score 0 points in the entire first half. The other team score 10. You are down by more than 9. So the poor quarterback is stuck in a situation that he is scrambling because he is down more than 9. Total nonsense.

Contrary to this guy's theory, the only time the offense has been able to score lately is when the game is basically over and the defense is laid back in prevent defense. The offense and the quarterback have not been able to do shit when the Bears were actually in contention. Everything is totally opposite than what this article suggests, at least for the Bears this year.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
But in reality this entire offense has been a disaster. 10 to 20 yard gains brought back because of holding or some other penalty. 10-20 yard gains void because of a fumble. 2nd and short to go and lose 5 or more yards cause of a sack, sometimes 2 or 3 sacks in a row. The O was supposed to be the strong point of the team and has been pathetic.

I really had hope going into the 1st GB game. Then the play at the end of the half really turned the offense for the rest of the year IMO.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You might want to read it again. He said three in the 1st Q. Not 3 when leading, tied or down by less than 9 points.

The Bears have been horrible at scoring in the 1st qtr this year. Well...moving the ball offensively as a whole

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
The Bears have been horrible at scoring in the 1st qtr this year. Well...moving the ball offensively as a whole
Not arguing that, they have been bad all year. Just saying that Pete was not wrong in saying that Jay has thrown only three INT's in the first Q. That's all.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Not arguing that, they have been bad all year. Just saying that Pete was not wrong in saying that Jay has thrown only three INT's in the first Q. That's all.

He's also attempting the least amount of passes in that qtr. His YPA is 6.2 in that qtr which is quite pedestrian.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
He's also attempting the least amount of passes in that qtr. His YPA is 6.2 in that qtr which is quite pedestrian.
I don't really care about all that. In that part of that article he said Jay has thrown for 3 INT's in the first Q, 7 after 30+ attempts which is all a fact. Slick just read it wrong and was correcting him is all. The how or why has been beat to death and I am not going there. I just noticed he read it wrong and was pointing it out.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Here's a fun number.

Cutler on his first 10 attempts of a game:
90/140 for 6 TD's and 4 INT's

On first down 8TD's and 8 INT's

We've been hearing this for years...when it was a top tier D...it was the OC, Oline, WRs

Blame Cutler all you want, but he is clearly not alone for the offensive struggles. Does he manage the game the way many in the media seemingly want their quarterbacks to play the game? No, but you can't do that with a defense that is essentially a doormat. Give him the Seattle defense and then judge.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Prisco kind of ignores Cutler has had his most success when well behind as well...and Cutler is a large part of the problem in falling behind.

Here's a fun number.

Cutler on his first 10 attempts of a game:
90/140 for 6 TD's and 4 INT's

On first down 8TD's and 8 INT's

Thank you!

And just for shits and giggles, another stat Prisco somehow neglected to throw in there while claiming Jay is always playing from behind is how many first quarter points our offense has actually put up this year..

I believe we have gone scoreless in 9 of the 14 games so far in the first quarter?

And he cherry picked "ints" when talking about the first quarter. How many fumbles lost? how many 3 and outs or short series has his inaccurate throwing caused?