Bernstein: "There should be more developments over the weekend ..."

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
Only 2 months ago, the possibility of a cleaning house sounded so unlikely and unrealistic. I still can't believe in this SHORT amount of time, it has come to this. It feels so unreal to me still. I don't mind waiting 10 more days for action to take place, I wish we didn't have to play those 2 games in between! I remember thinking when NO and the Bears were on offense, "just run the ball, take time off the clock, make this game end as quickly as possible". I don't want to see any of them out on the field. All phases are fucked up. Get the games over with and tell us what the plan is going forward.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be happy for no other reason than it would show George is not going to be a passive owner and it would put to rest the McCaskeys are cheap narrative.

It would give me much greater faith in ownership, which I think has been lacking with Chicago fans for good reason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Holmgren is a great coach... but a lousy personnel man. Be careful what you wish for.

- Joe Haden
- Josh Gordon
- TJ Ward (now starring on the Broncos)
- Phil Taylor
- Jabaal Sheard
- Jordan Cameron
- Buster Skrine
- Mitchell Schwartz
- Tashaun Gipson
- Travis Benjamin
- Bill Wynn

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It should also be noted that Holmgrens GM in Cleveland was Tom Heckert who went onto success in Denver and is again on every GM watch list.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Good question. This is just speculation, but Hub also just called Cutler's benching "Trestman's middle finger to Emery and Cutler." That would suggest it was not a front office move, but a Trestman move. Clearly, Bernstein's source is in the front office.

This. Boers, Bernstein, and Arkush all have different sources in the front office. All independently verified the news of Trestman's fate. Boers actually had the story first but Bernstein put it up on Twitter where it got picked up.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Mike Holmgren, the guy who set the Browns up so well to win with their draft success? That guy?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It should also be noted that Holmgrens GM in Cleveland was Tom Heckert who went onto success in Denver and is again on every GM watch list.

Most people are crediting Denver's success to John Elways being the chief overseer and that decisions on everything go through Elway so let's make sure we have a handle on who gets due credit in Denver.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The guy who wouldn't be a personnel guy here, if he's even the guy?

Don't be silly guys with that level of ego and power desire don't sit in the background without being deeply involved in all of the football decisions i.e. Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, John Elway just to name three that wield such power.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
And these "experts" on the radio loved Phil Emery! They probably won't admit it, though.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Don't be silly guys with that level of ego and power desire don't sit in the background without being deeply involved in all of the football decisions i.e. Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, John Elway just to name three that wield such power.

Why are you assuming he'd be a permanent hire? They could bring him in as a consultant for the GM/HC process and retain him for a year, ala Parcells.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ROUND PLAYER POSITION UNIVERSITY NOTES
1 Haden, Joe CB Florida Pick 7
2 Ward, T.J. FS Oregon Pick 6 (38)
2 Hardesty, Montario RB Tennessee Pick 27 (59) (From Cowboys through Eagles)
3 McCoy, Colt QB Texas Pick 21 (85) (From Patriots through Raiders)
3 Lauvao, Shawn OL Arizona State Pick 28 (92) (From Jets)
5 Asante, Larry SS Nebraska Pick 29 (160) (From Jets)
6 Mitchell, Carlton WR South Florida Pick 8 (177)
6 Geathers, Clifton DE South Carolina Pick 17 (186) (From Panthers)

1 Taylor, Phil DT Baylor Pick 21 (From Kansas City)
2 Sheard, Jabaal DE Pittsburgh Pick 37
2 Little, Greg WR North Carolina Pick 59 (From Cowboys Atlanta)
4 Cameron, Jordan TE USC Pick 102
4 Marecic, Owen FB Stanford Pick 124 (From Atlanta)
5 Skrine, Buster DB Chatanooga Pick 137
5 Pinkston, Jason OT Pittsburgh Pick 150 (From NY Giants via Minnesota)
7 Hagg, Eric DB Nebraska Pick 248

1 Richardson, Trent RB Alabama Pick 3 (From Minnesota)
1 Weeden, Brandon QB Oklahoma Pick 22 (From Atlanta)
2 Swartz, Mitchell OT California Pick 37
3 Hughes, John DT Cincinnati Pick 87 (From Denver)
4 Benjamin, Travis WR Miami Pick 100
4 Johnson, James-Michael LB Nevada Pick 120 (From Denver)
5 Miller, Ryan OG Colorado Pick 160 (From Denver)
6 Acho, Emmanuel LB Texas Pick 17 204
6 Winn, Billy DT Boise St. Pick 205

Other than Richardson, who fooled everyone, and Weeden they actually drafted really well.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With the news today of Jimmy wanting to wait and see what NFL jobs come open, as long as Mike is smart enough to make that happen I'm all for it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Holmgren put together a really good defense in Cleveland.

He is the reason they are having any success right now.

The 1 season of Lombardi yielded almost nothing for them and this years draft outside of Bitonio has done little, Gilbert doesn't even start.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can also add UDFA

S Tashon Gipson
LB Craig Robertson

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Like him or not - and I don't - Dan Bernstein on The Score clearly has a good source - or more than one - inside Halas Hall. Bernstein just said on The Score that Trestman is surely gone - which we know - and that Emery is not only on thin ice, but that the ice is cracking beneath his feet, and were he a betting man, he'd bet on Emery being gone.

We all knew that, but here's the interesting part - "There should be more developments over the weekend, and I will be tweeting what I hear." Then Hub joined to discuss his Sun-Times story today about Mike Holmgren and the possibility of a football czar and said, "Let me put it this way - the phones are being used."

Hub on Emery: "He clearly is in over his head as a General Manager, and the (McCaskey) family understands that by now." Hub suggested Emery could potentially stay on, under a Holmgren type. But one thing is clear - Georgie-Porgie-Pudding-Pie appears to be taking the reigns.

Clearly, the drama isn't over at Halas Hall. For those who thought the Bears would finally calm down and wake up again on December 29, it looks instead like the last two weeks of this season promise to be as bizarre as ever.

I'll believe it when I see it

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
If this is true, I don't understand why Trestman is still here.

Who knows, but it could be anything. Maybe Bears wanna see what Clausen has to use him in a trade of some sort as they look to get rid of him and Jay and possibly get a new GM, HC, which would also lead to a big QB signing (probably via draft).