Blackhawks announce Asst. Equipment Manager Clint Reif has passed away

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Regardless of the cause...natural, criminal, self-induced or other, no information will come out the same day...or even the ensuing few days. To be brutally honest, the worst case scenario speculations are beginning to piss me off.

Yeah, it really annoys me that people instantly assume drugs/suicide/whatever.

Don't fault the Hawks at all for not revealing details and I wouldn't expect them to. It's not their job to explain why people die.

I imagine some reporter is going to get the details on this eventually though.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
When someone as young as him passes away, questions will be raised. Odds are for suicide, depression is a hell of a thing. Or some unforeseen medical emergency.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;4gT2Z_OpAY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gT2Z_OpAY0[/video]

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
TVAsports.ca states:

L'organisation n'a pas dévoilé les circonstances de la mort de leur employé, «par respect pour la famille». On parlerait cependant d'un suicide.

The organization did not disclose the circumstances of the death of the employee, "out of respect for the family." However, [there is] talk of [a] suicide.

Not sure where they got this information.

LES HAWKS PERDENT UN DES LEURS (THE HAWKS LOSE ONE OF THEIRS)
http://www.tvasports.ca/2014/12/21/les-hawks-perdent-un-des-leurs

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Don't fault the Hawks at all for not revealing details and I wouldn't expect them to. It's not their job to explain why people die.

I am assuming nothing, but just using some deductive reasoning.... it is not their job to disclose how he died, but the fact that they know and are choosing to not tell the public says alot.

I have heard Pat Foley report the deaths of people before.... no one quite as close to the Hawks as this, but if its a bout with Cancer or something they will say it.

I mean the guy was found unresponsive in his home.... he had no terminal illness we know of..... and he obviously didn't die of some tragic accident out in public. I mean either he killed himself (on purpose or on accident) or he died of some freak medical cause that just popped up. The latter is possible.... I knew of a kid in college who had an enlarged heart and had no idea and he dropped dead getting Pizza after a night at the bars. However, just being logical.... the latter has far worse odds than the former.

I don't know what happened and I won't assume anything.... I will wait and see what the official cause of death turns out to be.... but let's not act like a little bit of deductive reasoning = wild harmful speculation. Based on the information out there it is a legitimate possibility he committed suicide and if the family or the Blackhawks know that is incorrect and don't want such speculation, either party could release a statement simply saying "His death was a tragic misfortune, but we can confirm it was not a suicide, please wait for the medical examiner's findings for further information".

I certainly hope it was an accident and he didn't kill himself.... I wish this guy had not passed away at all.... but I understand the reasoning behind people thinking this might be a suicide.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....I think we have narrowed and expanded the list of plausible reasons. The Hawks stayed classy and focused on the important part, a man has died. Not how. Whatever the reason we celebrate his life, not the circumstances of it ending, we all have our shit and sometimes it doesn't come out until its too late.
in order of most likely
1) overdose
2) erotic asphyxiation accident
3) suicide
4) homicide

based on his beautiful children, this would be my guess, unless he had reason to protect himself from his own children, then 3 becomes more likely. We all have our shit

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah....I think we have narrowed and expanded the list of plausible reasons. The Hawks stayed classy and focused on the important part, a man has died. Not how. Whatever the reason we celebrate his life, not the circumstances of it ending, we all have our shit and sometimes it doesn't come out until its too late.
in order of most likely
1) overdose
3) suicide
4) homicide

based on his beautiful children, this would be my guess, unless he had reason to protect himself from his own children, then 3 becomes more likely. We all have our shit

Idk why... but I have to ask.... why do you think erotic asphyxiation accident is more likely than suicide? Is it really that common?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Idk why... but I have to ask.... why do you think erotic asphyxiation accident is more likely than suicide? Is it really that common?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/04/obit.david.carradine/index.html

often the two are confused. Signs involve nudity or lack of a suicide note. Sometimes a relative or friend will pull pants up for decency if found like this, and report gets lost.
I'm just minimizing suicide that occurred without 1 or 2 because he had children that need him and a good job. Shits always crazy, suicide never surprises me because we get bent out of shape about life stuff, and have a moment of weakness. Its fucking human. Just sucks, and is probably the worst message you can send to your children, that will echo in their mind for eternity, that you left them in a wasteful action.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

Well said. The Blackhawks have handled it correctly. I understand people's curiosity in a sense, but the Blackhawks don't owe it to anyone to come out and say 100% what they know or don't know. Have to respect the family and I'm sure whatever unfortunate event happened will come out with time. Just unfortunate all the way around.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
in order of most likely
1) overdose
3) suicide
4) homicide

This post is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what more to say about it, but considering the delicate matter at hand, and even though we are on the internet where shit flies and rumors start...this post just needs to be dismissed.

I said it in my last post...I understand the curiosity, but it should end there. Going off and making ridiculous predictions on how someone's life ended is not really appropriate.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
in order of most likely
1) overdose
3) suicide
4) homicide

Holy shit, Rask.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, Rask.

If I overstepped I apologize. I am jaded to this stuff. I know whats important, this is very close to my family and my past as I barely survived a bout with suicide ideation for 10 years. The circumstances of this death hit very close to home, perhaps I shouldn't be so frank.

My thoughts are mostly on the well being of his children.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
in order of most likely
1) overdose
3) suicide
4) homicide

Wow, just wow.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I understand people want to be sensitive to the situation as far as public statements go.... but are you guys really saying we cannot discuss the matter as adults on an internet message board?

I mean he died.... the info we have rules out a series of possible causes of death.... Rasko was being very frank with what he thought, but I have seen people get way further off base that he just did....

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand people want to be sensitive to the situation as far as public statements go.... but are you guys really saying we cannot discuss the matter as adults on an internet message board?

I mean he died.... the info we have rules out a series of possible causes of death.... Rasko was being very frank with what he thought, but I have seen people get way further off base that he just did....

Discuss what you want. I'm retorting.
I'm sure it will get interesting (not in a woo-hoo way) if/when details begin to leak.
Nothing in this thread (so far) violates the terms of this board, but if you want a debate on suicide and call it a "wasteful action," I'll be here to throw in my $.02.

Again, I don't know the details. Not sure anyone but the Blackhawks and close family do.
I didn't think the thread was going to take the spin it did. I'm not locking it down or removing posts.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I don't think anyone's locking anything here, so feel free to debate it. This wasn't me reacting as a mod, it was me reacting as a person.

I thought Rask's list was a bit over the top. I mean, how do we know that this guy didn't just die of some natural causes (like the aforementioned enlarged heart)? I mean, go look at No. 2 on that list and tell me that you considered that as a real possibility here. Farthest thing from my mind.

Rask said he's more jaded to those things and I understand his point. I am not. Not yet. So I'm not going to have the same thought process he did.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And we still don't know if it was indeed suicide.

I think that, if that's what happened, then they may not have publicized it with a moment of silence before the game and all of the other references to it. I think an organization would be a bit quieter about the situation if that outcome was a real possibility.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone's locking anything here, so feel free to debate it. This wasn't me reacting as a mod, it was me reacting as a person.

I thought Rask's list was a bit over the top. I mean, how do we know that this guy didn't just die of some natural causes (like the aforementioned enlarged heart)? I mean, go look at No. 2 on that list and tell me that you considered that as a real possibility here. Farthest thing from my mind.

Rask said he's more jaded to those things and I understand his point. I am not. Not yet. So I'm not going to have the same thought process he did.

Oh I know you guys are not shutting down the convo as mods.... it just seemed like as soon as the discussion turned to how he might have died and the natural "Maybe suicide" came up you and HawkWriter and Paul just wanted us to stop talking about it.

Rask has very little filter.... #2 was odd and I asked about it and he explained....

I guess it just felt like besides Rask and Grimson everyone had the attitude of "Just be respectful and stfu about it" and IMO there isn't anything wrong with talking about it like adults.

As long as no one starts assuming suicide or anything else and then bashing the poor guy, I don't think anyone here has wildly speculated or said anything too inappropriate.... though I woulda kept #2 on Rask's list to myself or phrased it differently.