Ben Zobrist

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The team lacked a OBA mix at the top of the order. Coghlan did fine as a lead off and now he has a partner who gets on base vs LH pitching. The bigger question is if they are planning to bat Castro or Alcantara #2.
Depends on Maddon NL thinking of baseball. ...

If he ok with a free swinger who makes alot of contact its Castro...

If he looking more for a sacrificer, small ball approach its Alcantara. ...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If there isn't speed at the top, you go with Castro and hit and run. If you think Cogh and the cheap comrade-in-platoon at the leadoff can swipe a few bases then I would consider Alcantara as he will give the leadoff more pitches to steal on. Take it FWIW. I'm no Joe Maddon.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If there isn't speed at the top, you go with Castro and hit and run. If you think Cogh and the cheap comrade-in-platoon at the leadoff can swipe a few bases then I would consider Alcantara as he will give the leadoff more pitches to steal on. Take it FWIW. I'm no Joe Maddon.
Neither are stolen base threats. ...

If i were maddon, id go to theo and jed and demand a real LFer

Seriously how much could the Rays be asking for for Zobrist

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Theo came out and said that they wouldn't sell out to compete in 2015. If it happens, it happens.

The Cubs have options if this move doesn't pan out. Olt and Bryant can play in LF. Then play Valbuena or Olt at 3B if Bryant shifts to the OF.

I have no problem with a couple platoons in the lineup if each guy is getting the job done

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Neither are stolen base threats. ...

If i were maddon, id go to theo and jed and demand a real LFer

Seriously how much could the Rays be asking for for Zobrist
What I like about BZ is how bright he is. Depending upon what the Cubs need from him, he can either be that OBP guy or go launch HR like he did in the brief stretch the Rays were out of the playoffs two years ago.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Too much:

The Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs are seriously pursuing Ben Zobrist with the Rays‘ asking price being at least one top prospect and a mid-level one.

1 year and 33 YO..... for a top and a mid.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A top prospect alone is too much.

I can't see the Cubs even entertaining such a deal. Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A top prospect alone is too much.

I can't see the Cubs even entertaining such a deal. Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.
How high of a top prospect they looking for ?

Offer up Vogelbach and Castillo

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
How high of a top prospect they looking for ?

Offer up Vogelbach and Castillo

I think it would take Vogelbach and McKinney or be of the A/AA pitchers. Basically two organizational top twenty prospects, one Of those top ten. I don't they'll do it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think it would take Vogelbach and McKinney or be of the A/AA pitchers. Basically two organizational top twenty prospects, one Of those top ten. I don't they'll do it.
Players in the bottom half of an organization top 20 are pretty much guys that you dont mind trading to improve your team now...

Zobrist most likely will extend at some point during season

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Christian Villanueva and someone out of the top 20. Sorry I would not give up anything that could be used. McKinney may become a quality LH OF bat for them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Christian Villanueva and someone out of the top 20. Sorry I would not give up anything that could be used. McKinney may become a quality LH OF bat for them.
Dont know what positions the Rays would be looking for but yea id do Villanueva and or Vogelbach. ...

Of the 4 teams interested, im sure none are going to go overboard with their offers...

I kinda have a feeling that if they do intend to trade him, they may ask him his preference of teams that interested out of courtesy and just ask for a fair return..

So, if he chooses the cubs mainly cause of maddon and chance to start more games.. the cubs may not have to give up too much, just a fair exchange..

nick.santangelo.9

Liked Posts:
How about trading for Craig. I know it's a high risk trade cause of his injury and that he's really expensive, but if he's fully recovers like they say he is and performs how he did before the injury he would be a pretty good investment. I don't know how much he would cost to trade for him, but if it's cheaper than Zobrist and they throw in some cash, I don't think it would be a bad move

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

They're not throwing him away. If the Cubs trade for him it will have to be for a prospect or prospects that the Rays feel will make them better.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They're not throwing him away. If the Cubs trade for him it will have to be for a prospect or prospects that the Rays feel will make them better.

1 year of control and turning 34. He is on the downside with limited control. His value is not high enough to justify trading anything of high value.

Villanueva has the best D of all of the Cubs prospects but is behind Bryant, Olt and add Baez and Russell to that list. He has 0% chance breaking in with the Cubs.

But the fact he has plus D with around 15 HR power he holds value to a team. Just not the Cubs who have better options.

mudslideglide

Liked Posts:
Theo came out and said that they wouldn't sell out to compete in 2015. If it happens, it happens.

The Cubs have options if this move doesn't pan out. Olt and Bryant can play in LF. Then play Valbuena or Olt at 3B if Bryant shifts to the OF.

I have no problem with a couple platoons in the lineup if each guy is getting the job done

Olt strikes out at a Dave Kingman like rate. Bryant should get the shot.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

i just dont see zobrist who is 34 on a walk year getting dealt for a top spec which is the asking price. they wont throw him away i agree but a top spec as reports indicate is a bit much.

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk