Ben Zobrist

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hearing he may be available now since the Rays resigned Cabrera...

Zobrist (34 in 2015 ) has 1 yr left on contract for 7 mil
He a SH who can play anywhere. ..

I wouldn't mind the cubs trading for him to play LF this year and then extending him for another 2 as a utility player

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It'd be interesting to see what value he'd fetch in a trade with only having one year of control left. He effects the game on both sides of the ball, is a great teammate by all accounts and is extremely versatile defensively.

The Maddon connection not withstanding -- he'd be the perfect fit to man left field, and take occasional days at second or short. Again, depending on what would be needed to give up to land him would be a hurdle.... but he'd be a perfect fit.

Honestly, though -- Zobrist is the type of player that SCREAMS either Giants or Cardinals.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It'd be interesting to see what value he'd fetch in a trade with only having one year of control left. He effects the game on both sides of the ball, is a great teammate by all accounts and is extremely versatile defensively.

The Maddon connection not withstanding -- he'd be the perfect fit to man left field, and take occasional days at second or short. Again, depending on what would be needed to give up to land him would be a hurdle.... but he'd be a perfect fit.

Honestly, though -- Zobrist is the type of player that SCREAMS either Giants or Cardinals.
Just throwing this out there but could travis wood interest them as a piece with maybe a lower level or 2 player

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
IL is home for him too.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Cards fans want him. But with the moves the Cards have made so far, I don't know that they'll be looking for someone like him. Hopefully not. I heard SF was a likely landing spot.

I think he'd be a real nice fit for the Cubs. Don;t they need someone just like Edwin Jackson?? :)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Can't say I'm a huge fan of trading for him. Not that he's a bad player but you'd be turning a long term asset into a short term one. That's fine if you are ready to compete for a title but I don't feel the cubs are. Even if it were something relatively cheap like a Paul Blackburn which by the way I can't imagine the Rays doing in a million years, I'm still not a huge fan of it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not only would he be a good fit in LF and occasionally at MIF, but also he would be a good vet leader for the young guys. Unfortunately, I can't see the Cubs FO looking at Zobrist until he hits FA next off-season.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I read about two weeks ago that the Rays covet Gleyber Torres and he would likely be the target in any trade. Do you do a say Travis Wood and Torres for Zobrist? .I like him fine but I'm not sure I do that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read about two weeks ago that the Rays covet Gleyber Torres and he would likely be the target in any trade. Do you do a say Travis Wood and Torres for Zobrist? .I like him fine but I'm not sure I do that.

No, Torres is about to shoot up the charts and have a lot more value then a 34 year old Zobrist that hits FA next year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yep. It's too bad the timing just doesn't seem right.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Love his versatility and $7M is reasonable -- but with one year left we can't give up too much for him. But we need a offensive bat/veteran presence from a guy who can still play. He'd be more productive than Gomes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He seems the right fit for LF. Any time you can have a SH man 2 positions while both can be plugged into a MI role it makes your team better and more flexible.

If they wanted Torres they would have to take Jackson. Cubs would take on some of the deal remaining on Jackson.

IMO ridding the team of Jackson is worth giving up Torres. All things considered MI is not a issue with the Cubs looking forward. He is not a huge loss if any at all.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He seems the right fit for LF. Any time you can have a SH man 2 positions while both can be plugged into a MI role it makes your team better and more flexible.

If they wanted Torres they would have to take Jackson. Cubs would take on some of the deal remaining on Jackson.

IMO ridding the team of Jackson is worth giving up Torres. All things considered MI is not a issue with the Cubs looking forward. He is not a huge loss if any at all.

No but if Torres is as good as scouting is starting to show he could be a very valuable piece in 2-4 years either as a trade piece on the early end of that timetable or a major league asset to replace an older, more expensive player on the back end end of the time frame. I'm not sure I'd give him up even to get rid of the Jackson contract.

Thephoenix36

Liked Posts:
Agreed! We need a veteran left fielder and I think he'd be a great asset to the kids on the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No but if Torres is as good as scouting is starting to show he could be a very valuable piece in 2-4 years either as a trade piece on the early end of that timetable or a major league asset to replace an older, more expensive player on the back end end of the time frame. I'm not sure I'd give him up even to get rid of the Jackson contract.
Why?

They already have Castro, Baez, Alcantara and Russell in AAA. Depth is not an issue and holding the deck means little right now.

But freeing up 11 mil for next year opens up payroll for a SP FA. Like Price
or a list from:

Johnny Cueto (30) (I'll bet a resign here)
Zack Greinke (32) – can opt out of remaining three years/$71MM
Mat Latos (28)
Mike Leake (28)
Cory Luebke (31) – $7.5MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout (I'm expecting the buy out here and not mistaken Jed was involved with him)
Jeff Samardzija (31)
Jordan Zimmermann (30)
Yovani Gallardo (30)

On this list Cueto, Grenke and Price a A listers.
Next tier
Jeff Samardzija (31)
Jordan Zimmermann (30)
Yovani Gallardo (30)

Youth picks:
Mat Latos (28)
Mike Leake (28)

That is why freeing up 11 mil in 2016 is worth giving up a A ball prospect (if that)

Russell: Hell no. And it is because he will be less than a year ETA. He would be a center piece for a A list player with control. Like Hamels.

To be honest there will be talent left over for the next trade deadline or off season. This list is better than this year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There goes zobrist

@JonHeymanCBS: Cubs agree to major-league deal with OF chris denorfia. Free agent catcher john baker and @Ken_Rosenthal 1st w/ news

Hot garbage

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There goes zobrist

@JonHeymanCBS: Cubs agree to major-league deal with OF chris denorfia. Free agent catcher john baker and @Ken_Rosenthal 1st w/ news

Hot garbage

Disagree. I like the pick up. He can platoon with Coghlan and play CF. If you look at his numbers he really only had one bad year. Not an everyday player but very much what they were looking for. I still think Kris Bryant is your LF before 2015 is done.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Disagree. I like the pick up. He can platoon with Coghlan and play CF. If you look at his numbers he really only had one bad year. Not an everyday player but very much what they were looking for. I still think Kris Bryant is your LF before 2015 is done.
I did look at his numbers and their dismal. ..

He gonna be 35 next summer, he has zero XBH ability, little speed, a .270 AVG, and not much of an On Base guy..

If this is their veteran bat to platoon in LF with coghlin, they failed here...

So right now the 4 bats they picked up this off season to help a young unproven lineup are....

Miguel montero. .240. 13 hr. .330. Obp.
David Ross. .184. 7 hr. .260 Obp
Tommy le stella. .250. 1 hr. .330 Obp
Chris Denorfia. .230. 3 hr. .280. Obp

Seriously, this isnt going to help get anything accomplished and it wouldn't surprise me if the bottom 3 guys weren't even with the team at end of season. ...

They went bottom barrel digging for those last 3

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Denorfia, 34, hit .230/.284/.318 in 330 plate appearances with the Padres and Mariners in 2014. Before that, though, he had four straight productive years in San Diego, always posting OPS figures in the .700s despite the difficulties hitting there. He’s also hit well against lefties throughout his career, batting .292/.358/.430 against them, and he can play all three outfield spots (although he didn’t play much center in 2014).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Head scratcher. Him and Ruggiano will make the same this year. So I'm thinking they are going with both of their OBA splits. .358 OBA VS LHP will be useful. His impact will be minimal. NL central has 3 LHSP so I don't see more than 200 AB's.