2015 position players to date

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
No one is factoring in Soler and Bryant ?

Or the OP ?

Referencing the weak bench that someone stated they have. Bryant and Soler are non-factors at this point because of a small sample size by Soler, and no sample size by Bryant. I was suggesting that they are still leaning only on Castro and Rizzo only because they carried a lot of the team on their shoulders last year.

And you might as well throw AA and Baez in there as well as unproven commodities.

Soler and Bryant to me have the best chance to contribute, and if they do (as I was trying to suggest), it makes the bench all that much more tougher.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If they were willing to lose that year of control then he would have been promoted in Sept vs sitting at home.

This is a pointless topic. Playing the 7 years of control on high end prospects is common practice. They are doing nothing outside of the norms and should not be seen for more than it is.

The only way Kris opens with the team is if Boras inks a starter deal. Which is not likely.

Norm?????? Sale was called up. I believe Trout was too. Some even skip the minors altogether. Rodon won't be held back if his stuff is there. Sorry I disagree that it's the norm.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
When Kerry Wood was a rookie, they broke camp without him. A rival scout said the Cubs must be the best team in baseball, because any team with 5 starters better than Wood must be terrific.

17 games without Bryant wont kill the Cubs.

Funny thing is, often fans are saying a guy needs more time in AAA. Bryant didn't play a ton of games in AAA. And many fans are also building Valbuena up quite a bit. But now 17 more games with Valbuena and without Bryant will suddenly cripple the major league team.

Not cripple..just increase the chances of more losses

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
When Kerry Wood was a rookie, they broke camp without him. A rival scout said the Cubs must be the best team in baseball, because any team with 5 starters better than Wood must be terrific.

Funny thing is, often fans are saying a guy needs more time in AAA. Bryant didn't play a ton of games in AAA. And many fans are also building Valbuena up quite a bit. But now 17 more games with Valbuena and without Bryant will suddenly cripple the major league team.

Please don't compare Kerrys career, the non-metric dinosaur age, with the enlightened management team that is here now.
If Kris Bryant proves himself in ST, won't that be a slap in the face by how important it is for that extra year of control to not let him play?
Will that make him feel like a key piece of future success, with Scott Boras as his agent?

Don't make him feel like a commodity

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Referencing the weak bench that someone stated they have. Bryant and Soler are non-factors at this point because of a small sample size by Soler, and no sample size by Bryant. I was suggesting that they are still leaning only on Castro and Rizzo only because they carried a lot of the team on their shoulders last year.

And you might as well throw AA and Baez in there as well as unproven commodities.

Soler and Bryant to me have the best chance to contribute, and if they do (as I was trying to suggest), it makes the bench all that much more tougher.
No matter how good the starting 8 is, that bench as it is now is crap...

Valbuena their best bench player, other then him i wouldn't want to see anyone else in a key PH situation. ..

Thephoenix36

Liked Posts:
Agree here. I think a lot will be determined in ST. If Baez is still struggling and Bryant is clicking, I believe their hand will be forced. This FO has stated the need for a fast start. You don't win the division in April, but you can sure lose it.

If Baez and Bryant both are doing well in ST, the Cubs have also made their bench a whole lot stronger with possibly Valbuena, Denorfia/Coghlan, Ross, Olt? Alcantara if they find another lead-off or Cf'er, and LaStella.

Their best line-up right now IMO might be to put Bryant in LF and give Coghlan some shots to spell him, with Denorfia on the bench, Valbuena at 3B and Baez/LaStella at 2B.

Well, that "best line-up" would mean Bryant learning a new position. He's never played left field. THAT would mean starting the season in Iowa. I don't disagree that he'll probably end up in left field with Russell, Castro and Baez in the infield someday, but if you want Bryant in left this year, then he has to start the year in Iowa.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Well, that "best line-up" would mean Bryant learning a new position. He's never played left field. THAT would mean starting the season in Iowa. I don't disagree that he'll probably end up in left field with Russell, Castro and Baez in the infield someday, but if you want Bryant in left this year, then he has to start the year in Iowa.

Lets not act as if we are asking him to pitch. I have seen Soriano and Holiday play left field, Morse play Both RF and LF, Dunn play right field and countless others that were not the greatest of fielders. Bryant is a 3B'men, that coincidentally is right behind where he would be playing his natural position, and his key to the line-up is going to be his bat, not his glove

Learning how to judge a ball coming off of the bat in LF is not that big of a deal. I also remember Albert Pujols playing LF, 3B, and RF when he first came up, so......

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Lets not act as if we are asking him to pitch. I have seen Soriano and Holiday play left field, Morse play Both RF and LF, Dunn play right field and countless others that were not the greatest of fielders. Bryant is a 3B'men, that coincidentally is right behind where he would be playing his natural position, and his key to the line-up is going to be his bat, not his glove

Learning how to judge a ball coming off of the bat in LF is not that big of a deal. I also remember Albert Pujols playing LF, 3B, and RF when he first came up, so......

Where he plays is not a big deal and I don't think he needs to learn LF in AAA. That being said it might provide some cover for those think he should be up opening day.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

that 17 games is huge for the FO. keeping him down those 17 games in a transition year is smart.

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No matter how good the starting 8 is, that bench as it is now is crap...

Valbuena their best bench player, other then him i wouldn't want to see anyone else in a key PH situation. ..

how good?????? you have no idea what you have!!! wtf!!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
how good?????? you have no idea what you have!!! wtf!!

That's what I am trying to say. When Bryant arrives, he pushes everyone back a notch. When they trade Castillo, or maybe Wood, you don't know who they will get in return. There are also rumors that they are still looking for another bat, and that too pushes players back to the bench.

Let the rest of the off-season play itself out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's what I am trying to say. When Bryant arrives, he pushes everyone back a notch. When they trade Castillo, or maybe Wood, you don't know who they will get in return. There are also rumors that they are still looking for another bat, and that too pushes players back to the bench.

Let the rest of the off-season play itself out.
That true.. but the title of the thread says players to date...
And the players they have on the bench now pretty much suck.....

As far as bryant arrival pushing someone to bench, that would either be Valbuena or olt.. Valbuena I already considered, olt dont make it that much better if he stays...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Castro
3B. Bryant
LF. Coghlin / Denorfia
CF. Fowler
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Alcantara
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

They still have Olt, Castillo, Lake, and Szczur

Updated 2015 position players to date...

Still not thrilled with the bench

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If our bench players were good or great they would probably be starters. They are really just guys that could get on base and see a lot of pitches, outside of OLt and Contra, who are there to develop.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Castro
3B. Bryant
LF. Coghlin / Denorfia
CF. Fowler
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Alcantara
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

Don't think Alcantara will be a "bench" player

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Castro
3B. Bryant
LF. Coghlin / Denorfia
CF. Fowler
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Alcantara
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

What more do you expect out of a bench? Im not saying they are the best bench in the game but you have power and speed. You have lefties and righties. You have guys who get on base. I dont know where your main issue lies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't think Alcantara will be a "bench" player

I do with Maddon. He fits the move around player mold.

I see Olt at 3B and Bryant in AAA.

Line up:
Fowler
Coghlan/Denorfia
Rizzo
Soler
Castro
Montero
Olt
Baez

Now Baez may end up in AAA also if he keeps his SO's at 40+%. If he comes out red hot and is running a SO% around 25% in S/T then that changes the whole line up.

IMO Baez is the biggest question mark this spring and if the work he is doing this winter will translate over.

Now bench:

Catcher is the biggest problem. Montenero can not hit LH pitching. Ross can be that guy but he is an auto out. So I see a solution of a platoon of Montenero/Castillo with Ross being Lester's personal catcher.

It is not a normal solution but with Alcantara's versatility it opens up solutions.

Ideally they find a trade partener(s) for Castillo/Wood/Jackson but until they do I expect them on the opening day roster.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Castro
3B. Bryant
LF. Coghlin / Denorfia
CF. Fowler
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Alcantara
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

You forgot to add that Alcantara can cover OF, too. That bench is solid, if not spectacular. LH/RH/OBP, etc.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Line up:
Fowler
Coghlan/Denorfia
Rizzo
Soler
Castro
Montero
Olt
Baez

Now Baez may end up in AAA also if he keeps his SO's at 40+%. If he comes out red hot and is running a SO% around 25% in S/T then that changes the whole line up.

IMO Baez is the biggest question mark this spring and if the work he is doing this winter will translate over.

Now bench:

Catcher is the biggest problem. Montenero can not hit LH pitching. Ross can be that guy but he is an auto out. So I see a solution of a platoon of Montenero/Castillo with Ross being Lester's personal catcher.

It is not a normal solution but with Alcantara's versatility it opens up solutions.

Ideally they find a trade partener(s) for Castillo/Wood/Jackson but until they do I expect them on the opening day roster.
I realize you are talking about opening day roster, but I really don't care about Olt. 9 games doesn't amount to jack for mention, IMHO. Olt is a bench player and if he proves to be decent, he's trade bait, IMHO.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Line up:
Fowler
Coghlan/Denorfia
Rizzo
Soler
Castro
Montero
Olt
Baez

Now bench:

Gotcha, but he's still a "starter" in a sense then right? Basically taking a turn at every position he plays and getting about the same amount of time as the "starters".