CF. Alcantara
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Valbuena
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

They still have Olt, Castillo, Lake, and Szczur

Their bench really sucks overall and their going to be counting on the kids to not struggle too much offensively. Rizzo and Castro will have to carry the load most of year...

They needed to bring in an established bat for LF and they failed with Denorfia. ..

Im happy with Lester, i can stomach a return of Hammels
But IMO, they did a shitty job adding veteran offensive help for the lineup and bench to take pressure off kids

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah the bench is weak, but it's not all that bad. The additions of Ross and Denorfia make little sense to me

The rotation is nothing special, but definitely solid and shouldn't be a liability anymore. It's sort of hard to improve hte bench when you don't truly know what you have in guys like Bryant, Soler, Baez, and Alcantara. I like having Olt on the bench. He can provide some pop and can really be a good role player if he can fix his contact issues

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'd prefer Logan Watkins to a couple of those on the bench list. And Sweeney? I wonder what happens if someone like Lake lights it up in ST?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think another team would take a shot at Lake. He still has potential and would at least be a good fit for a bench role on a rebuilding team. Somewhere he may get a chance to get a spot start every week or so. Cubs just aren't that team.

He is probably the 6th OF right now and that doesn't include Bryant, Sczur, or Olt. Sweeney could be had for the taking as well

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1: Coghlin / Denorfia
2: Castro
3: Rizzo
4: Soler
5: Valbuena/Olt
6: Baez
7: Alcantara
8: Montenero/Ross

What I'm expecting until Bryant promotes. After Russell promotes they could lead off with him at 3B I'm guessing and move Bryant over to LF.

Only question I have is what they are planning to do with Castillo.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1: Coghlin / Denorfia
2: Castro
3: Rizzo
4: Soler
5: Valbuena/Olt
6: Baez
7: Alcantara
8: Montenero/Ross

What I'm expecting until Bryant promotes. After Russell promotes they could lead off with him at 3B I'm guessing and move Bryant over to LF.

Only question I have is what they are planning to do with Castillo.
That's the headscratcher. Surely they will make some sort of a trade. I'm wondering if it's going to be for a SP.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Castro
3B. Bryant
LF. Coghlin / Denorfia
CF. Alcantara
RF. Soler

C. Ross
IF. La stella
IF Valbuena
OF. Denorfia /Coghlin
OF. Ryan Sweeney

They still have Olt, Castillo, Lake, and Szczur

Their bench really sucks overall and their going to be counting on the kids to not struggle too much offensively. Rizzo and Castro will have to carry the load most of year...

They needed to bring in an established bat for LF and they failed with Denorfia. ..

Im happy with Lester, i can stomach a return of Hammels
But IMO, they did a shitty job adding veteran offensive help for the lineup and bench to take pressure off kids

What makes you think they are done? They still have to trade Castillo, and then their is Wood and E-Jax that still remain. Not that they will get much in return, but any acquisition containing Castillo, in all likelihood will result in strengthening the team , which can then push back players resulting in a stronger bench.

It is still way too early in the process, and no on is factoring Bryant and Soler as to what they can provide this team. They are still stuck in last years Castro and Rizzo mode.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What makes you think they are done?

never really said they were done.. the title says position players to date.... meaning as of now

They still have to trade Castillo, and then their is Wood and E-Jax that still remain.

correct... and who do you think they will get in return to replace any of the position players ( not pitchers ) that I wrote in above

Not that they will get much in return, but any acquisition containing Castillo, in all likelihood will result in strengthening the team , which can then push back players resulting in a stronger bench.

they will most likely trade these players for minor league depth type players in return or maybe a better option for a 5th starter in rotation...

as far as possibly pushing back someone that currently on bench...

who would go ? it obviously wont be Ross.. I doubt its LaStella or Denorfia whom they purposely brought in for the bench..
wont be Valbuena or Olt who one most likely will be starting at 3B until Bryant arrival and the othe will be on the bench..

Sweeney.. I guess yea they could dump him for an upgrade...

It is still way too early in the process

no, its not early in the process as far as position players goes.. unless they pull off a major surprise and replace someone in the starting 8.. which I doubt

but I think what we see now is basically it for the positional side of the ball...

and no on is factoring Bryant and Soler as to what they can provide this team

I don't know what made you make this statement.. my major gripe is the bench and going with a coghlin/denorfia platoon but ive calmed a bit from that platoon gripe.lol

Thephoenix36

Liked Posts:
I highly doubt Kris Bryant will be the opening day 3rd baseman. Not because he doesn't deserve the promotion, but because this is a business. If the Cubs bring him up in June, they'll have one more year of control. Scott Boras will make them pay when the time comes....

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I highly doubt Kris Bryant will be the opening day 3rd baseman. Not because he doesn't deserve the promotion, but because this is a business. If the Cubs bring him up in June, they'll have one more year of control. Scott Boras will make them pay when the time comes....

They're going to send Bryant down to AAA but not they won't leave him there until June. They get the extra year of control by leaving him down 17 games which means late April. The June date would be his Super 2 date and I don't think even Theo believes they can hold him out that long when he's promised a competitive ball club. They're not trying to contend unless that falls in their laps but they are trying to compete and Bryant is a huge part of that.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Will the fact that the Cubs are making it so important for the team to have an extra year of control over Bryant give him incentive to sign a team friendly extention like Rizzo did?
Boras as his agent?
What happens ,if, and when Rizzo becomes grossly under paid?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
That's between Rizzo and the Cubs. I'm sure the Cubs would consider adding on a few team friendly years, while raising the overall AAV if Rizzo continues to improve over hte next few seasons.

That's the thing with Bryant, he is going to remember this when he hits FA down the line. The Cubs want that control, but if it effect their relationship with Bryant, they may not think it is worth it and start him at the ML level

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
That's between Rizzo and the Cubs. I'm sure the Cubs would consider adding on a few team friendly years, while raising the overall AAV if Rizzo continues to improve over hte next few seasons.

That's the thing with Bryant, he is going to remember this when he hits FA down the line. The Cubs want that control, but if it effect their relationship with Bryant, they may not think it is worth it and start him at the ML level

If Bryant proves himself in spring training, he deserves it. It's a bad precedent to set if not.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If Bryant proves himself in spring training, he deserves it. It's a bad precedent to set if not.

I think it's borderline malfeasance to not not wait the 17 games. This is not a year where the team is expected to contend for a WS and the end of Bryant's team control will be prime contention years so whether they plan on keeping his salary manageable through 2021 or trade him while he has valuable control years left, you're talking about asset management and calling him up day one potentially squanders an entire year of value.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How can you fuckers NOT be ready for this?

Kris-Bryant-Facebook.jpg

Hurry up, Opening Day.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Agree here. I think a lot will be determined in ST. If Baez is still struggling and Bryant is clicking, I believe their hand will be forced. This FO has stated the need for a fast start. You don't win the division in April, but you can sure lose it.

If Baez and Bryant both are doing well in ST, the Cubs have also made their bench a whole lot stronger with possibly Valbuena, Denorfia/Coghlan, Ross, Olt? Alcantara if they find another lead-off or Cf'er, and LaStella.

Their best line-up right now IMO might be to put Bryant in LF and give Coghlan some shots to spell him, with Denorfia on the bench, Valbuena at 3B and Baez/LaStella at 2B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they were willing to lose that year of control then he would have been promoted in Sept vs sitting at home.

This is a pointless topic. Playing the 7 years of control on high end prospects is common practice. They are doing nothing outside of the norms and should not be seen for more than it is.

The only way Kris opens with the team is if Boras inks a starter deal. Which is not likely.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agree here. I think a lot will be determined in ST. If Baez is still struggling and Bryant is clicking, I believe their hand will be forced. This FO has stated the need for a fast start. You don't win the division in April, but you can sure lose it.

If Baez and Bryant both are doing well in ST, the Cubs have also made their bench a whole lot stronger with possibly Valbuena, Denorfia/Coghlan, Ross, Olt? Alcantara if they find another lead-off or Cf'er, and LaStella.

Their best line-up right now IMO might be to put Bryant in LF and give Coghlan some shots to spell him, with Denorfia on the bench, Valbuena at 3B and Baez/LaStella at 2B.

Most likely is Bryant promotes after the 17th of Apr. Which gives the 7 years of control. The person who gets demoted most likely will be Olt. Unless he is raking but seeing he will be in a platoon I don't seeing getting the constant at bats to build a strong case. So at that point Valbuena becomes a UI with La Stella.

Now when Russell is ready then it becomes tricky to manage. But I believe that situation will work itself out. Either some team makes the Cubs a strong offer for SP for MI or Baez busts out and 2B opens up.

Either way moving Bryant to LF would be a option if they decide to retain.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What makes you think they are done? They still have to trade Castillo, and then their is Wood and E-Jax that still remain. Not that they will get much in return, but any acquisition containing Castillo, in all likelihood will result in strengthening the team , which can then push back players resulting in a stronger bench.

It is still way too early in the process, and no one is factoring Bryant and Soler as to what they can provide this team. They are still stuck in last years Castro and Rizzo mode.

No one is factoring in Soler and Bryant ?

Or the OP ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

When Kerry Wood was a rookie, they broke camp without him. A rival scout said the Cubs must be the best team in baseball, because any team with 5 starters better than Wood must be terrific.

17 games without Bryant wont kill the Cubs.

Funny thing is, often fans are saying a guy needs more time in AAA. Bryant didn't play a ton of games in AAA. And many fans are also building Valbuena up quite a bit. But now 17 more games with Valbuena and without Bryant will suddenly cripple the major league team.