Hub - BEARS Can't Afford To Keep Brandon Marshall

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
A lot of people complained ( Hub Arkush for one) up front at paying that for a turnover prone guy who hadn't won since high school and had recently been diagnosed with a serious illness. It didn't take deep insight or hindsight to see that the Bears were paying a ransom. The only way that trade wasn't a robbery was if Jay had actually been good or if they had won it all.

well part of the ransom was the assumption that the QB whisperer would actually have an effect on the QB

someone posted a video clip of Cutler holding the ball this year when guys were clearly open and he has regressed

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This ^^

Marshall will fall in line with a coach who actually knows what discipline is. Oh and a coach who won't let him go do his stupid weekly show in New York.

What is a new coach going to do about Marshall's show? There is nothing contractually they can do to prevent him from doing it. If they bench him for it, the distraction will cause an even bigger headache and almost certainly result in a grievance from the players union.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think they've done a good job keeping Marshall's genie in the bottle until last year, don't think that show isn't getting off
on the fact that his genie is coming out of the bottle on TV...rather than have concern for him they are milking it.

The Bears need to get him off that pronto.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
What is a new coach going to do about Marshall's show? There is nothing contractually they can do to prevent him from doing it. If they bench him for it, the distraction will cause an even bigger headache and almost certainly result in a grievance from the players union.
Is he signed to do it next year? If so, I think the coach has a right to tell him to cancel it. It was a distraction.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Some of you act like Marshall is the only WR that acts like a diva and/or nut. I have news for you, throughout NFL history this type of action is not uncommon with a top WR. I know the Bears were a place where WRs go to die, but give me a break. There has been top WR after top WR that have needed to be handled with care.

If anything is a problem, it was having no leader to keep Marshall in check. Trestman just sat back and let Marshall do whatever he wanted (along with everyone else). Trestman is gone and there is no reason to think the new HC/GM is going to let Marshall run wild.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
This gets old.

I like Hub. Hub is on The Score. The Score's agenda is to hate Brandon Marshall. So much so that I think Brandon Marshall may have schtooped The Score's wife at a party or something.

Bernstein, Hub, Boers, Rosenbloom - they all feed the 'Brandon has to go narrative'.

Why? He's one of the best WR in the league and he's under contract. When he's on the field and healthy, he makes Alshon a better player giving him better match ups.

So, one 'veteran player' thinks Marshall is a pain in the ass. So what? Think about your work environment. There's always someone who is a complete pain in the ass. Welcome to be an adult in the world. I'd imagine every locker room has teammates that people love, some they can't stand and some that keep to themselves. Just like any other 'workplace'.

People keep taking about 'leadership'. What the fuck does that even mean? By all accounts, he was the only guy on that team that wanted to win football games. Look no further than his WR mate to see a guy that completely gave up on the season. Is #15 supposed to be a 'leader' to make Robbie Gould make FGs? Is he supposed to be a 'leader' to make veteran CB Tim Jennings not look bad? Is he supposed to be a 'leader' to make high price veteran LT Jermon Bushrod not have a bad year?

I think this leadership stuff is all bullshit and stupid fan projection. Does anyone think an NFL player making $1M and in a contract year decides to put for that extra effort because a teammate tells him to?

Leadership is what players do on the fucking football field. That amounts to not throwing stupid passes, running routes properly, making 44 yard field goals, blocking linebackers, etc.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dez has nowhere near the rap sheet that Marshall has and is a clearly better player at this point. Why would you think he is a worse person than Marshall? Do you know him or something?

Also as to the OP, this is why he was available for cheap and why teams should not over-commit to head case receivers. Phil spent two draft picks and then extended him before he had to do so and to no one's surprise he is acting out.
Exactly. People don't believe it because they don't want to believe it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Is he signed to do it next year? If so, I think the coach has a right to tell him to cancel it. It was a distraction.

Of course he does. And Marshall has every right to tell him to pound sand when he does. Then what? Bench him for doing something that he contractually allowed to do?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
At the time TO was best wr and philly had no problem getting rid of him cause the damage in locker room far exceeded the production on the field. So Andy Reid is a shitty coach cause he couldn't handle TO? Plus it sends a message to players that crap marshal pulled this season won't be tolerated.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

I would assume his contract with the Bears has nerbige that states that the team can dictate media gigs during the season. Contacts already have stipulations that players have to make themselves available to the media.
Also, I would think that with initially allowing Marshall to do the gig that the Bears said they would allow it as long as it didn't become a distraction and that they had the right to cut it off at any time they felt needed.

I would also assume that Marshall's contract with the show states that he can cut it off at any time if it becomes to much or the team tells him he needs to. If not, his priority is with the Bears. So if the Bears told him to stop the show and he didn't have an out in his contract with the show, that is on him and would have to pay any fines that came with breaching his contract. And his agent should be fired for not forseeing that situation.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
At the time TO was best wr and philly had no problem getting rid of him cause the damage in locker room far exceeded the production on the field. So Andy Reid is a shitty coach cause he couldn't handle TO? Plus it sends a message to players that crap marshal pulled this season won't be tolerated.

What crap was that? Flying to NY (a 70 minute flight) on their off day to film a TV show?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Issues that arose related to Brandon Marshall during the 2014 season. Brandon Marshall one year ago was to me a phenomenal player and leader and then the adversity hit.

1). NFL insider flights to New York

2). Long winded asinine press con fence about issues dead and buried some four years ago

3). Exploding on teammates in the locker from

4). Quitting during the Dolphins and Pats games

5). Turning on Jay Cutler

6). Challenging a Lions fan to a fight and then trying to lie and back pedal and say it was going to be a charity anti-bullying campaign event

I feel like there's one or two I missed.

Add in a drop in production and age and a clear lack of leadership when the team faced adversity and I would argue he should be the first one to go. Marshall seemed to be a great leader and a leader by example, but leaders tend to be at their best when things are at their worst. Marshall completely fell apart when the going got bad where as cutler never seemed to lose his cool through it all.

Four months ago I felt the opposite Marshall was a god send to this team, but when he lost it and it seemed to become a cancer in the locker room that's when Marshall lost me.

Adding 7.Throwing the team under the bus with his shots at them About the Saints/Bears game. Marshall also played terrible this year and became worse over time. While Cutler played awful he never threw anyone under the bus or took shots at his coaches or teammates despite the opposite happening to him. When the going gets tough,Marshall straight up leaves

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I would assume his contract with the Bears has nerbige that states that the team can dictate media gigs during the season. Contacts already have stipulations that players have to make themselves available to the media.
Also, I would think that with initially allowing Marshall to do the gig that the Bears said they would allow it as long as it didn't become a distraction and that they had the right to cut it off at any time they felt needed.

I would also assume that Marshall's contract with the show states that he can cut it off at any time if it becomes to much or the team tells him he needs to. If not, his priority is with the Bears. So if the Bears told him to stop the show and he didn't have an out in his contract with the show, that is on him and would have to pay any fines that came with breaching his contract. And his agent should be fired for not forseeing that situation.

If the Bears had the ability to control his non-NFL mandated media gigs, why was he allowed to conduct his nonsensical domestic abuse presser that they didn't want him to do?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's funny how much control Lovie had over the players as you never heard of this shit till now

Newblood

Liked Posts:
If the Bears had the ability to control his non-NFL mandated media gigs, why was he allowed to conduct his nonsensical domestic abuse presser that they didn't want him to do?

No idea. I haven't seen his contract and what it states he is and isn't allowed to do.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What crap was that? Flying to NY (a 70 minute flight) on their off day to film a TV show?

Read the thread there are enough examples. But biggest two is quitting in games and throwing team off the bus.

The funny thing is Bennett gets into a fight with a teammate he got suspended and you know what even in lost games he never quit. This clown marshal was just coddled all year and be walked all over the team.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Read the thread there are enough examples. But biggest two is quitting in games and throwing team off the bus.

The funny thing is Bennett gets into a fight with a teammate he got suspended and you know what even in lost games he never quit. This clown marshal was just coddled all year and be walked all over the team.

Marshall being coddled is an issue with the previous coach and GM, not with Marshall.
No one here is suggesting that Brandon shouldn't be held accountable.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Of course he does. And Marshall has every right to tell him to pound sand when he does. Then what? Bench him for doing something that he contractually allowed to do?
That's exactly what you do. If Marshall can't see that his shown is a distraction then ship his ass out. Take control of the team as soon as you walk in the door.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yep. Forgot about Marty. Dude seemed like he would be headcase after that fight but did nothing but bust his balls all season

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Marshall being coddled is an issue with the previous coach and GM, not with Marshall.
No one here is suggesting that Brandon shouldn't be held accountable.

Yes Trestman was a huge problem but Marshall is still a grown ass man who has been in the league for years now. No one should have to hold his hand and tell him not to quit routes or throw the team under the bus