Adam Jahns: NFL Source on Chris Ballard - "Hands down, Best Scout I know, Hands down"

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
This nauseating pro Ballard narrative we keep being thrown by the media may only surpass the Emery and then Trestman head coach/QB Whisperer narrative we were fed three and then two years ago. This whole entire thing is just so Bears.
This^
It really is something. People grasp to whatever their media pets give them

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:

What a shit article. It does Nothing to detail the players Ballard helped aquire for the 2013 Chiefs. In fact Ballard joined in May of 2013, after the draft and FA so his influence was minimal.

Why the Chiefs rebounded after 2012
1) Andy Reid. They were no where as bad of team as their 2012 indicated. Tons of defensive talent already in place.
2) Alex Smith. Not a great QB but Plays well in Reid's system. Again Ballard had NOTHING to do with this

Toast88

Liked Posts:
so is the Rooney rule for GM AND HC....or are we OK to proceed with some honkeys after we interview just one brother for either position?

Racist bastards. Interviewing the token black guy, then talking to the shoo-in the next day.

By the way, I want to see a feature story on the token black guys who are interviewed for NFL openings. It could be called, "Once You Go Black, You Say, 'Thanks So Much For Your Time. We'll Let You Know.'" It's a working title.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm trying to figure out whats he done so special in KC. Nobody can break it down point for point. They were 1 and done last year and didn't make the playoffs this yr. Yet this guy is a "HOT COMMODITY"

How is it that you think the NFL works?

A guy joins the front office of a 2-14 team, they make the playoffs, and lose their first game, and that reflects on a Dir of player personnel? How so?

Does blowing a huge lead in their playoff game reflect on him? Or does acquiring a QB and others and getting to the playoffs after a 2 win season reflect on him?

In either case, he is not coaching or playing in that game. The team improved greatly from 2012 to 2013, but crediting one specific member of the front office is speculative at best. As is blaming him for the Chiefs missing the playoffs this past year.

But in two years in KC, you're essentially blaming him for not winning a super bowl. Whoever the Bears hire isn't going to win one in two years here either, so prepare yourself.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Who the fuck is Adam Jahns? Some dude made up by Chris Ballard's PR firm?

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a shit article. It does Nothing to detail the players Ballard helped aquire for the 2013 Chiefs. In fact Ballard joined in May of 2013, after the draft and FA so his influence was minimal.

Why the Chiefs rebounded after 2012
1) Andy Reid. They were no where as bad of team as their 2012 indicated. Tons of defensive talent already in place.
2) Alex Smith. Not a great QB but Plays well in Reid's system. Again Ballard had NOTHING to do with this

I agree with you, I didnt post the article as a PRO Ballard piece...just posted to add to convo.

Ya nothing about his resume screams this guy is the next up and comer... but some well respected guys in the scouting/media /NFL from offices seem to really like him and those are guys that you have to trust have actual working experience with him and see some potential.

The thing that is kind of baffling so far to me is that he seems to have no history or association with Ernie Accorsi. So if they end up hiring him, that all was pretty much just a farce.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I agree with you, I didnt post the article as a PRO Ballard piece...just posted to add to convo.

Ya nothing about his resume screams this guy is the next up and comer... but some well respected guys in the scouting/media /NFL from offices seem to really like him and those are guys that you have to trust have actual working experience with him and see some potential.

The thing that is kind of baffling so far to me is that he seems to have no history or association with Ernie Accorsi. So if they end up hiring him, that all was pretty much just a farce.

At the end of the year, the NFL has an advisory board who puts together a list of people they feel would be ready for a next step opportunity to GM and HC. Ernie Accorsi is on that board and Chris Ballard is on that list.

That is the link you are missing.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The Bears didn't hire Ernie Acorsi to pick a GM from a list made up exclusively of people who have worked for him.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the end of the year, the NFL has an advisory board who puts together a list of people they feel would be ready for a next step opportunity to GM and HC. Ernie Accorsi is on that board and Chris Ballard is on that list.

That is the link you are missing.

ah ok i did see that list on another post but I missed Ballards name on it.

I guess I just dont understand what the point is of picking and "hiring" a guy like Accorsi.... if hes part of board of guys...that apparently will are all going to point you toward the same list of candidates.... such as Casserly, Polian, Wolf, or any of the other guys on the committee?

Why do they have to hire someone, why dont they just say we are going to use the NFL's Advisory committee to help us search.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They didn't hire Acosta to pacify us. They hired him to help them not fuck up...again. They tried hiring a community for JA and doing it themselves with Emery. This is what's left and hopefully 3rd time is the charm. I don't get this bias against Ballard just because he worked here before. Jets are interviewing him as well. Do we have a problem with Ron Wolf?

Newblood

Liked Posts:

I guess I just dont understand what the point is of picking and "hiring" a guy like Accorsi.... if hes part of board of guys...that apparently will are all going to point you toward the same list of candidates.... such as Casserly, Polian, Wolf, or any of the other guys on the committee?

Why do they have to hire someone, why dont they just say we are going to use the NFL's Advisory committee to help us search.

Why do companies ask for references on a job resume and call those references?
Why is it that highly skilled, hard working individuals always seem to be sought after by businesses?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Well, that IS essentially what they did. They went to the Board, and from that, picked someone from it they felt comfortable with. The guys on the board are there to do exactly what Accorsi is doing right now - that's their jobs.

Its been done before this way as well - in I think it was 2012, the Panthers picked Accorsi, and look where they are at now, with the talent and getting past the 1st round in the playoffs - their GM was an Accorsi-approved guy.

Ballard really isn't any different. People make a big deal over his Bears tenure, but from what has been said by non-Bears people after Chris's name was first leaked, you are hard pressed to find any negative criticism at all. The only one I could find was Hub Arkush, the same guy who got mad that Emery reached for Kyle Long, arguably Emery's best draft pick in his tenure - Hub is a slave to his connections and far from objective as a result.

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
But yeah, I am hoping if Ballard is the guy they wrap this up between Wed and Fri.

Was wondering about this, when a team has a FA in the building they like they don't let him leave. Is it the same with executives and coaches? Would Ballard sign right away or would he want to talk to the Jets just to see? Would the Bears want to talk to other potential hires for due diligence?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, that IS essentially what they did. They went to the Board, and from that, picked someone from it they felt comfortable with. The guys on the board are there to do exactly what Accorsi is doing right now - that's their jobs.

Its been done before this way as well - in I think it was 2012, the Panthers picked Accorsi, and look where they are at now, with the talent and getting past the 1st round in the playoffs - their GM was an Accorsi-approved guy.

Ballard really isn't any different. People make a big deal over his Bears tenure, but from what has been said by non-Bears people after Chris's name was first leaked, you are hard pressed to find any negative criticism at all. The only one I could find was Hub Arkush, the same guy who got mad that Emery reached for Kyle Long, arguably Emery's best draft pick in his tenure - Hub is a slave to his connections and far from objective as a result.
I think Hub, like many, is put off of Ballard due it being an ex Bear hire. He'd like a fresh start but the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
A good GM needs more than good scouting ability. Having said that, it would be tough to do worse with a HC hire than Emery did with Trestman. If we can find a GM who can hire a decent (not great but decent) HC but hit on player personnel -- we'd be in much better shape.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
This^
It really is something. People grasp to whatever their media pets give them

Would you rather have people come out and say they don't think he's a good GM candidate? I want honesty too and would hope that journalists are doing their due diligence when engaging their sources. All the feedback on Ballard so far though has been positive. From National Media Writers, former colleagues of Ballard and sources.

People know who Ballard is and respect him. This appears to be quite different than the Emery hire. From what I gather, he has Emery's scouting chops (if not better), has experience working with personnel and is better at building relationships. I think he is very much qualified for this position.

hester247

Liked Posts:
curious that Ballard turned down Jets interview offer...maybe he really does have something in place with Bears

Newblood

Liked Posts:
curious that Ballard turned down Jets interview offer...maybe he really does have something in place with Bears

Or he thinks the Jets are a junk show and has no desire to be a part of it.