Adam Jahns: NFL Source on Chris Ballard - "Hands down, Best Scout I know, Hands down"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@AdamSchefter: Eagles requested permission for GM interview with KC's Chris Ballard, who some believe to be the favorite in Chicago

Our boy is in demand.

The fact that he is demanding full control is awesome. Hopefully that means he moves Teddy out a little.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or maybe it's because he's highly thought of. Which is more likely, the Bears orchestrating a vast conspiracy with dozens of participants or that Ballard is just very good at his job?

That's what I was going for.

There seems to be overwhelming evidence that this guys is respected and wanted around the league. Evidence some choose to ignore.

Maybe the fact that he use to work for the Bears is the only reason we are going to land a potential "rock star" option at GM. Maybe his Bears past is a good thing?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Best scout bitches, hands down

fess-as-davy.jpg

Hey, ya got it right once !

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@AdamSchefter: Eagles requested permission for GM interview with KC's Chris Ballard, who some believe to be the favorite in Chicago

Our boy is in demand.

The fact that he is demanding full control is awesome. Hopefully that means he moves Teddy out a little.

This is the first piece of news that has me a little excited. I could care less if NFL shitholes like Tampa wanted him, but Philly (while not the Ravens or Patriots) is usually a competent organization.

Tampabear

Liked Posts:
It's the fact that there is a belief of a Bear way. the only Bear way is losing and looking like a bunch of numskulls who have no idea how to hire football people.

Perhaps you would be happier in Green and Puke Yellow? Stop whining.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
This is the first piece of news that has me a little excited. I could care less if NFL shitholes like Tampa wanted him, but Philly (while not the Ravens or Patriots) is usually a competent organization.

Denying the Eagles isn't a shocker. Ballard is rumored to want full control and while Kelly is there demanding more control, this would be the opposite of what Ballard was looking good for.

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
It is impossible to really assess someone who has never been a GM before.

You don't know how good a King someone will be till they have the crown.

I agree 100%..

So let's say Ballard is hired, shouldn't we all just be supporting him and hoping he kicks ass in his new job? Why all the negativity and doubt? Give him a chance..

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Hub thinks hiring Ballard is a terrible idea.

So that should make a lot of people more comfortable that he is a good hire.

When you listen to Hub, he really hates the idea because Hub is somewhat of a football traditionalist and while he won't say it, he prefers jobs like GM and HC go to people who have "paid their dues" and been in the system for a while. I can see some wisdom in that, but its not a one size fits all deal.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

Our boy is in demand.

He's going to move Teddy out a lot.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
When you listen to Hub, he really hates the idea because Hub is somewhat of a football traditionalist and while he won't say it, he prefers jobs like GM and HC go to people who have "paid their dues" and been in the system for a while. I can see some wisdom in that, but its not a one size fits all deal.

From what I've heard today on W & S, Ballard has a shit ton of experience and has worked his way from being a college coach to a director of pro personnel.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Hub thinks hiring Ballard is a terrible idea.

So that should make a lot of people more comfortable that he is a good hire.
Ballard is certainly qualified for the job and has earned rave reviews by a lot of people up to this point. It's not a terrible idea. Hub is an idiot. He may question the move or think there are better candidates, but to say it's a terrible idea reminds me of what he said about the Kyle Long pick. Hub's an ass and does a lot of this crap to start shit.

Football traditionalist or not. Ballard is intriguing because of his background, his success as a scout in Chicago and people around the league have thought of him as a potential GM for a few years now.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Perhaps you would be happier in Green and Puke Yellow? Stop whining.

no, I'm tired of the bears losing to them pukes. so you think the Bears have a well run organization eh?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ballard is certainly qualified for the job and has earned rave reviews by a lot of people up to this point. It's not a terrible idea. Hub is an idiot. He may question the move or think there are better candidates, but to say it's a terrible idea reminds me of what he said about the Kyle Long pick. Hub's an ass and does a lot of this crap to start shit.

Football traditionalist or not. Ballard is intriguing because of his background, his success as a scout in Chicago and people around the league have thought of him as a potential GM for a few years now.

It is a very similar situation as Long.

Long has not payed his dues, he had barely played, but he was so immensely talented it made up for a lack of experience.

Perhaps Hub is looking at Ballard the same way, fast riser without a ton of experience, but maybe he too is immensely talented at what he does. Experience is more valuable when you are making up for a lack of natural talent.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
It is a very similar situation as Long.

Long has not payed his dues, he had barely played, but he was so immensely talented it made up for a lack of experience.

Perhaps Hub is looking at Ballard the same way, fast riser without a ton of experience, but maybe he too is immensely talented at what he does. Experience is more valuable when you are making up for a lack of natural talent.
I have no issue with Hub's traditionalist point of view. I understand why he thinks that way. I just have an issue with calling Ballard a terrible hire because it has become apparent he's a strong candidate.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Two years ago Hub was insisting on a weekly basis that Chip Kelly would be a 100% disaster in the NFL. He still hasn't admitted he was wrong on that.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Two yearsz ago Hub wasz insisting on a weekly basisz that Chip Kelly would be a 100% disaster in the NFL. He still hasn't admitted he wasz wrong on that.

You should call him on his show and confront him about it. Maybe he just hasn't had the opportunity to address it, or maybe he has and you just didn't hear it?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Two years ago Hub was insisting on a weekly basis that Chip Kelly would be a 100% disaster in the NFL. He still hasn't admitted he was wrong on that.

Aaron Donald should send Hub his Pro Bowl lei as a gift:

"Both are significantly undersized, even as three-techniques, and neither consistently dominated at the college level. The best you're going to get with either is an overachiever who makes the occasional play but can be double-teamed and erased whenever an offense chooses to attack them. Jernigan at least has more natural strength, but neither is strong enough to handle big time NFL guards. Donald's strengths are talents that won't help him in the NFL. I don't care if a defensive tackle runs a sub-4.7 40-yard dash, make him a linebacker. And the 35 reps in the 225-pound bench press is very impressive in the weight room, but meaningless once a 320-pound guard or tackle gets his hands on him. I think both will end up as third tackles in some team's three-tackle rotation who make occasional plays in the backfield when allowed to shoot gaps, but will be liabilities against the run and incapable of playing in a two-gap scheme."