With GMs and Coaches and who we want, what does any of it even matter anyway?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Seriously, at this point, I don't even give a crap. They're all just names right now.

Want a known name? You are getting someone who's failed before at what you're asking him to do.

Want an unknown? No discernable track record.

Want someone not connected to the Bears? Well, the best candidate might be the one who was a scout for the Bears in the past.

Want someone connected with the Bears? Well, the one guy who is hasn't been doing the job that long.

Add to that the fact that the GMs of teams that have won 5 or more playoff games in the last 10 years have not been anyone with previous GM experience, and all came from "losing" teams, and what the hell good sense does anything make anymore?

The media and fans want whats familiar, but familiar is familiarly bad once you get over the newness.

The alternative is to roll the dice and take a chance that you get the next Ozzie Newsome instead of the next Phil Emery.

The above goes for coaches too.

So really, at this point, I refuse to get all worked up over who's hired.

It's really like the draft this year - a total crapshoot.

You wanted a known? That chance was 2 years ago, when we could have had Arians and kept Marinelli, since it was revealed that the real reason Marinelli left was because they didn't go with Arians.

That was the chance.

The names this year? We're all just speculating and projecting. We got no fucking clue. And I bet neither do the NFL teams - not just the Bears; NONE of them. If they had a clue, would Doug Marrone have bailed and Chip Kelley made a power play threatening to do the same? Would Atlanta really let their new HC determine the fate of their GM? Would Buffalo really try to bring Polian in as their new football czar only for Polian to turn them down because too many people in their own building were talking shit about him?

We act like this is an exact science, and it just isn't. There's things that makes us comfortable, and things that don't, and unfortunately our comfortability has ZERO bearing on whether a hire will be successful or not - only whether it makes us feel good at the time or not.

So at this point, I don't care. I am not going to get worked up. The Bears could make the "wrong" move and it ends up working. They could make the "right" move and end up getting killed over it 2 years later. They could be praised for a move one year, only to get killed for it the next.

It's just a total crapshoot. And I am done pretending its anything but that.

Instead of getting all worked up, I'm just going to see who we get, and hope they are up to the task. Be it Former Bear Scout Chris Ballard, or anyone else...

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Nothing matters. Time to close the forum down.

Rofl. Don't go that far. Illusions are important for a lot of people. Bitching on the forums gives us all a sense of control we don't really have :p

:bearbang:

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Rise

Liked Posts:
It's true nobody really knows including the team's themselves. Their just isn't a clear cut best guy for HC or GM who we can get this year. Every single one of them has pros and cons. Also even if they hire the guy you want it's just a temporary euphoria, what they do over the next couple years is what really matters.

Couldn't agree more, but it's still fun to talk about and debate. When I feel like doing it cause I'm bored.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
That's why I prefer to just talk and don't give two damns about the "predictions" game or who assumes what will happen good or bad. It's about entertainment and it's fun being apart of the ride going up or down.

But there are gonna be some people who seem to care so much about being right in some weird way they try to lorde assumptions over one. I remember being stunned in laughter at seeing Biff respond to something recently hyping his correct predictions and asking what I was right or wrong about in assuming things about the Bears. I guess some people are here to inflate their egos in that way

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoever the Bears choose the GM and Coach will get a 99% approval rating here just like Emery and Trestman once had.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
Whoever the Bears choose the GM and Coach will get a 99% approval rating here just like Emery and Trestman once had.

Oh yeah, well the Packers suck!. Keep on fucking those sheep.

Wait a minute, playoffs and getting laid? Fuuuuuuuuuu

Sorry, haven't harassed you in a while. Tell Ellie I said Baaaaaaa, with love.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:

This is true. Though the figure will be closer to 95%. Fan is short for fanaticism- uncritical enthusiasm. Enough propaganda will be pumped out by the local and national rags about what a good GM Ballard could be and what a good coach Bowles/Shanahan/Quinn/Toub, etc could be. I'd venture a guess that no coach or GM has been hired in the last 15 years that didn't have at least a dozen blowjob articles published about him. Fans will lap it up- and hope the new boss is different than the old boss. Naive optimism is the backbone of every successful sporting enterprise.

The hard truth is that the Bears ability to escape the gravitational pull of the 7-9/8-8/9-7 beehive mass of NFL teams will depend much more on luck than skill. If they stumble upon a new QB to lead them to the promise land- the new guys in charge will look awfully smart. If they don't find a savior- the road ahead is much more uncertain.

cobra302

Liked Posts:
You wanted a known? That chance was 2 years ago, when we could have had Arians and kept Marinelli, since it was revealed that the real reason Marinelli left was because they didn't go with Arians.
True, but even in that case, it would've been somewhat of a crapshoot, particularly with Arians. Hindsight has 20-20 vision. Plus, the talent level in Arizona & Dallas is generally better overall than what the Bears have at this point, which can make coaches look better than if they had lesser talent to work with.

Other than that, I agree 100% with your premise: any hire is a crapshoot until you see the product on the field. I can think of more coaches I wouldn't want than I can think of ones I would want. I will reserve judgment on the hires until I see what they put on the field.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
True, but even in that case, it would've been somewhat of a crapshoot, particularly with Arians. Hindsight has 20-20 vision. Plus, the talent level in Arizona & Dallas is generally better overall than what the Bears have at this point, which can make coaches look better than if they had lesser talent to work with.

Other than that, I agree 100% with your premise: any hire is a crapshoot until you see the product on the field. I can think of more coaches I wouldn't want than I can think of ones I would want. I will reserve judgment on the hires until I see what they put on the field.

I agree, Arians was the chance to have a known, and if he were hired, Emery would still have a job, and Marinelli would have stayed on.

But it is what it is, and if Ballard is hired and brings front office credibility, then 2 years of Emery was worth the price.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I agree with OP and I agree that Bears fans might be done drinking the kool aid. After their first years many of us thought Emery and Trestman were doing awesome jobs too.

This is the kind of thing only posterity can judge