Ballard Offered the Job - sourced

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No truth to the rumor that Staley the Bear will be handling Dawson's interview...

LOL.......if I were Lake, thats exactly who I'd send to represent me. good one

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
anyone hear Patrick Mannelly on the score this morning talking about Ballard when balard was with the bears? Said that he and Ballard were talking once during practice and Ballard said "hey the knee is healthy now right? You should be playing better". Mannelly admitted he was fully healthy and that he respected Ballard and he agreed he should have been playing better. He said of all Bears personnel outside of Coaches and Players, Ballard was the easiest to approach and had the best relationships with the players.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In seriousness I think Accorsi is doing more then just providing a list of names to George. He is sitting in on interviews, making sure George is not overlooking any important football matters throughout the process, and helping George have some football cred (something that was lacking with Teddy). I would not be surprised to see Accorsi offered a permanent position or at least retained beyond just the hiring phase. He could be the insulator between Ballard and George and end Teddy's reign with football decisions.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy that represents the guys that don't give a shit.

1250852526_kermit_bale_emma.jpg.gif

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
If Ballard is as good as suggested and demands full control of football operations, there should be no need for an Accorsi type staying on.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"The source said Ballard is the only name on Chicago’s list of potential GMs.

Ballard denied an interview request from the New York Jets today, telling the Jets that talks with the Bears are ongoing and he has no interest in New York’s GM position."

Ballard the only name on the list? If this report is true, Ernie Accorsi owes the Bears a refund.

If this report is true, The Bears owe Accorsi a stipend for wasting his fucking time.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
can someone answer the following- i need to know what this guy looks like. In the picture used in this article and in many other articles, the dude kinda looks like a bad ass.

ct-bears-will-interview-chris-ballard-spt-0105-20150104

but this guy

BALLARD.jpg

and this guy

ballard_chris.jpg

kinda look like douche bags.

obviously this is the most important aspect for any GM candidate (see Angelo, Emery, etc).

He may not know a dam thing about being a GM but I agree he looks like a boss. At least he looks like he might know what the hell he's doing

instead of ol' uncle Phil.

emery-smile.jpeg

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
In seriousness I think Accorsi is doing more then just providing a list of names to George. He is sitting in on interviews, making sure George is not overlooking any important football matters throughout the process, and helping George have some football cred (something that was lacking with Teddy). I would not be surprised to see Accorsi offered a permanent position or at least retained beyond just the hiring phase. He could be the insulator between Ballard and George and end Teddy's reign with football decisions.

I hope you are right that the Bears are taking advantage of Accorsi's knowledge, and it would certainly be a positive development if they brought him on in a permanent role. King George will have to flex some muscle to do that because Phillips's attitude at the Black Monday presser suggested to me that he didn't want to get out of the way on the football side.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really what needs to happen is a NFL oversight group to monitor when a b.s. interviews takes place. Would I want this no.....but the "ole boys network" has to be stopped.

Tardigrade has nothing to do with it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
At some point, measures like in the corporate world will need to take in the NFL to insure fair hiring practices. If I were Lake, I complain to the union for having his time wasted. I do get the FaceTime, recognition, etc.......effects, but it still stinks to know u have no chance of getting hired somewhere, no matter your qualifications.

Lake Dawson is getting an interview he might not otherwise even get if not for the Rooney Rule.

And who's to say what happens if he blows somebody away? Mike Tomlin got hired that way, which was the entire point of the rule: A minority got a chance to interview, and sold himself to the hiring team and got the job!

There is no need for oversight committees to do something about the BS interviews - which is, quite frankly, the most impractical thing I have red in a while - or union reps to force a team to want a specific person who happens to be a minority.

Actually, while I understand the driving force behind the rule and have no problem with it, I do wonder why a team that had a minority coach had to interview a minority before making a hire. Hadn't they proven they weren't looking only at white guys?

Dawson may very well wind up getting a job this offseason due to interviewing with teams. The Jets and Philly both have spots to fill.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No problem. Just interview Dawson for both jobs Tuesday and then Ballard can hire Toub on Thursday.

How would u feel about interviewing for a job, u knew, u had NO chance of getting, regardless of ur qualifications

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Some here assume Accorsi did nothing since the Bears will end up with Ballard, who once worked for them.

But isn't it possible that Accorsi gave them a list of 4 or 5 guys with talking to, but stressed that he felt Ballard was by far the most qualified?

Or maybe Ernie spoke to people to get feedback on Ballard and others.

It's not like he sat back while George and Ted looked over their old personnel files and picked Ballard.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Lake Dawson is getting an interview he might not otherwise even get if not for the Rooney Rule.

And who's to say what happens if he blows somebody away? Mike Tomlin got hired that way, which was the entire point of the rule: A minority got a chance to interview, and sold himself to the hiring team and got the job!

There is no need for oversight committees to do something about the BS interviews - which is, quite frankly, the most impractical thing I have red in a while - or union reps to force a team to want a specific person who happens to be a minority.

Actually, while I understand the driving force behind the rule and have no problem with it, I do wonder why a team that had a minority coach had to interview a minority before making a hire. Hadn't they proven they weren't looking only at white guys?

Dawson may very well wind up getting a job this offseason due to interviewing with teams. The Jets and Philly both have spots to fill.

Screw the " minority sticker ". 1)They aren't "minorities" in the NFL. 2) it should be about PPL. getting a fair shot at being hired if they are qualified.
How would you feel if u knew , u were more qualified for a job, than say Him ( the OP here), but because Him is my boy, I hire him over u.

Don't tell me you'd be ok with it.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How would u feel about interviewing for a job, u knew, u had NO chance of getting, regardless of ur qualifications
You understand he could refuse to be interviewed don't you? Thing is the BCA would have a shit fit if, as a black man, he refused the interview.

If you want to force unwanted interviews, you are going to get an interview equivalent to the interest.

Last edited:

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Really what needs to happen is a NFL oversight group to monitor when a b.s. interviews takes place. Would I want this no.....but the "ole boys network" has to be stopped.

How about just doing away with the rule itself. I think we are past the time for the need for the rule and I don't believe it is fair to potential candidates being interviewed as to whether they are being interviewed because of the rule or because the organization is actually interested in them.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You understand he could refuse to be interviewed don't you?

he could, but what would be his reasoning and what "can of worms" would that open, for him and his career.