Ballard Offered the Job - sourced

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I think youre missing the point that GM candidates willing to take a GM job without of full control over football operations are the exception and far from the norm. And that he may very well rather stay in KC than take a GM job thats not really a GM job, i.e. one where hes not in control.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
I think youre missing the point that GM candidates willing to take a GM job without of full control over football operations are the exception and far from the norm. And that he may very well rather stay in KC than take a GM job thats not really a GM job, i.e. one where hes not in control.

Well yeah, and that's how I see the Philly and Tampa gigs. The Eagles were interviewing him for a job that Chip Kelly just won a power struggle over. Lovie had it written into his contract that he had final say on players. Both were ceremonial GM jobs at best, and in that case he's probably better off staying in KC.

But going from that to saying that he's talking to various owners and team presidents and demanding that he have total control is a stretch. He doesn't have that kind of clout. Bill Parcells can do that, Bill Belichick can do that, random KC and Bears staffer can't.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
That sounds good in an article, but not in reality. He can interview, he can demand, and a team can look elsewhere. He's not the only candidate. He hasn't done something so special that he has leverage that other candidates don't. He can go back to KC and the world will keep on spinning. Don't get me wrong, i'm not attacking you, but I don't put much stock into all these unsubstantiated reports floating around in the ether that always coincidentally confirm what we knew from the beginning.

You answered your own concern. Having the option to go back to KC puts him in the exact position he needs to demand full control. If I'm in a good position employment-wise and someone comes headhunting for me, I am in perfect position to ask for anything I want. What do I have to lose? If they say no, I go back to work the next day. If they say yes, well I've just got what I wanted.

Ballard is in demand, he currently has no reason to take a compromise. I'm sure he knows he is the hot available GM candidate and if he doesn't see what he likes this year, he goes back to KC and there is always next year.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Why do you always go into a long winded rant when it comes to race issues? Shows a lot of insecurity on your part

Because he wishes he had a BBC, BRO.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right.

Everything always comes back to race, right?

Lovie Smith hired? Good ole boys network.

Ozzie Newsome hired? Good ole boys network.

Mike Tomlin hired?Good ole boys!

Tony Dungy? Good ole boys!

Don't you ever get tired of blaming race for everything? Rooney Rule would've been great back in the '60s.

This isn't that period. You need to stop watching Mississipi Burnining. Noone cares what color someone is.

BEFORE you come at someone about Ray Horton not getting a job. Let me say I think his previous dreadlocks were moronic and unprofessional. Just as I would say that some idiot coming in with a moron mullet would not be deemed professional enough for head coaching material.
Rooney rule is still viable. A candidate may get stroked 1st time out but if he interviews well, will get more shots. In this case, when you're bringing a known quantity back into to fold, I think you may may be able to get by the rule. If there was a minority audition, it would be just that, an audition for next time but does get the candidate on the map and better prepares him for the process.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I work for the federal government and that happens all the time. You apply and interview for jobs you know you have no chance of getting in order to get your name out there and so the people making decisions know you are interested in advancing.

Interesting. I've always heard of this as an abstract, but never knew anyone actually doing it. I've never applied for a job I didn't think I could/would get, and I've had some pretty good jobs through my career.

But then again, it kind of makes sense---government jobs : )

I kid, I kid.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Interesting. I've always heard of this as an abstract, but never knew anyone actually doing it. I've never applied for a job I didn't think I could/would get, and I've had some pretty good jobs through my career.

I kid, I kid.

what if suddenly you didn't get a that good job you knew u were qualified for.....cuz I decided I wanted my "boy Tampabear or Ziggy " in the job, even though they was less qualified.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Isn't it nice to have a GM candidate, that other teams wants, that wants to be the Bears GM?

Arguably the top GM candidate on the market wants to come to the Bears.

Neolithic

Liked Posts:
Isn't it nice to have a GM candidate, that other teams wants, that wants to be the Bears GM?

It would be nice to hire a guy who doesn't make every other team in the league laugh, or scratch their heads like "wow...really?"

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
what if suddenly you didn't get a that good job you knew u were qualified for.....cuz I decided I wanted my "boy Tampabear or Ziggy " in the job, even though they was less qualified.

Happens all the time, regardless of race and often to women. Good luck. Same happens when less qualified minorities get hired due to quotas. There is no perfect solution and we're doing the best we can until complexion, gender and ethnicity falls out of the loop. Everybody just needs to deal and stop pointing fingers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It rocks!

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I kid, I kid.

I work for a top 20 fortune 500 company and its pretty common to interview internally to get your name out.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
At some point, measures like in the corporate world will need to take in the NFL to insure fair hiring practices. If I were Lake, I complain to the union for having his time wasted. I do get the FaceTime, recognition, etc.......effects, but it still stinks to know u have no chance of getting hired somewhere, no matter your qualifications.

The Rooney rule is a fucking joke and needs to be done away with. Measures like in the corporate world? Hahahahahah... Oh yes, the corporate world is such a shining example of fairness and anti-nepotism..

Would you be surprised to know that some companies have a "good ole boy network" that is black, and not white? I'm so fucking sick of people throwing out the minority card and discrimination in this country for everything. Fuck off already.

Honest question for you. If a team only wanted to interview minorities, would they be FORCED to interview a white man?