Ballard shot down Philly now in addition to Jets. Says HUGE things about Ted Phillips

Newblood

Liked Posts:
What you honestly think Phil Emery had an open checkbook to spend whatever he wanted on players? Same with Angelo?

If Ted Phillips was truly a bean counter only, he wouldn't have had any role whatsoever in hiring a new general manager.

No. There is this thing in the NFL called a cap.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"The GM went to him and said 'We should sign these guys' and he said, 'Well... okay.' So fuck that guy for interfering with the GM! Tryin' to do his job! That's why no one wants to come here—because he signs off on what the GM wants to do!"

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
potato.jpg

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes, which is why Phil was fired.

Honestly, meatball boogeymanism can only be taken so far.

So the Bears hired a scouting coordinator and gave him free reign to spend all the money?

Great idea.

But yeah, I'm the potato for just suggesting a guy stick to his expertise in accounting and marketing and not have his hands in having football people report to him.

4 playoff appearances in 16 years under Phillips' presidency. But yep, that guy plays no role whatsoever.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Ted Phillips plays no role in football decisions, why does he get to sit in on GM interviews?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But yeah, its "meatball boogiesm" to suggest that a guy stick to what he knows best.

Fuck off and make some pie charts about how bad of a coach Lovie Smith is.

Moron.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the Bears hired a scouting coordinator and gave him free reign to spend all the money?

Great idea.

So you're saying that it would be a horrible idea to hire an inexperienced GM and give him "free reign to spend all the money"?

Are you suggesting that someone higher up in the organization should have to approve of contracts?

It seems like you really, really, really want Ted Phillips to do the exact same job that he currently does.

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The real question is do we want the guy responsible for gems like Benson, Dvoarchek, Bradley and Iglesias making picks?
Do we know exactly who this guy scouted while he was with the Bears? Because during that time there were a lot of really bad drafts. I'm not saying his guys were good or bad because I have not come across that info yet.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Ted Phillips plays no role in football decisions, why does he get to sit in on GM interviews?

So if part of your job is to hire someone to run a part of your organization, you shouldn't be allowed to sit in on the interviews?

You know it's possible to hire someone to do a job and then let them do the job without interference, right?

But the crazy thing is that you actually have to hire the person, first.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you're saying that it would be a horrible idea to hire an inexperienced GM and give him "free reign to spend all the money"?

Are you suggesting that someone higher up in the organization should have to approve of contracts?

It seems like you really, really, really want Ted Phillips to do the exact same job that he currently does.

And the contracts he approved sucked and are a hinderance to the cap for this season and next. But yes, we'll let the same guy keep approving bad deals. What could possibly go wrong?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So if part of your job is to hire someone to run a part of your organization, you shouldn't be allowed to sit in on the interviews?

You know it's possible to hire someone to do a job and then let them do the job without interference, right?

But the crazy thing is that you actually have to hire the person, first.
It hasn't happened under Angelo and under Emery. I see little reason why it would happen under Ballard, unless the old adage of the third GM being the charm is right.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the contracts he approved sucked and are a hinderance to the cap for this season and next. But yes, we'll let the same guy keep approving bad deals. What could possibly go wrong?

So you think he should have told Emery that he couldn't sign those guys?

And this is your idea of "staying out of football decisions."

You realize that's absolutely insane, right?

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Do we know exactly who this guy scouted while he was with the Bears? Because during that time there were a lot of really bad drafts. I'm not saying his guys were good or bad because I have not come across that info yet.

Yeah, the list has been posted numerous times

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It hasn't happened under Angelo and under Emery. I see little reason why it would happen under Ballard, unless the old adage of the third GM being the charm is right.

Nope. You still haven't provided a single example of him not allowing Angelo or Emery to do their jobs. When has he interfered with the GM?

The only example you have is "He approved of the contracts that they wanted to give out."

That's your example of meddling.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you think he should have told Emery that he couldn't sign those guys?

And this is your idea of "staying out of football decisions."

You realize that's absolutely insane, right?
So Ted Phillips is a yes-man and can do no wrong?

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I want my president to stay out of football operations. Unless he doesn't feel like he should, then I want him to be involved.

Makes sense....