Ballard shot down Philly now in addition to Jets. Says HUGE things about Ted Phillips

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
In both cases, one a tweet from Albert Breer (Jets), the other a tweet from Ian Rapoport (Eagles), Chris shot them both down because as GM, he would not have the final say on football matters.

Yet he accepted an interview with the Bears (and according to some, may already have the job in the bag).

The implications are actually huge.

Perception in the league is that Ted Phillips is a meddler in football matters and the press conference did not help, with Phillips jumping right out in front of George on a question of Accorsi's authorit.

Yet those sourced inside the building say Ted Phillips is more than willing to step aside, and let the football guy be the football guy, and that the same was actually done with Emery.

Whether or not the deal is already in the bag, or Chris is just a front runner and is awaiting the interview, it likely will NOT be overlooked that Ballard shot down 2 major market east coast teams with the reasoning being he wouldn't have final say in football matters, and shot down Tampa Bay and another GM offering (team escapes me) in previous years, yet he TOOK the interview with the Bears.

It sends a loud and clear message I think, that the Bears are a team that will let their football people run the football show, and speaks volumes about dissuading the league of their notions of Ted's involvement.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I have been out of the loop for the past couple days. Can you post the link where they said he rejected those other jobs because he won't have final say?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I have been out of the loop for the past couple days. Can you post the link where they said he rejected those other jobs because he won't have final say?

Go look at Twitter. Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer

Liked Posts:

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
"One reason Chris Ballard turned down Jets interview -- When he becomes a GM, wants full authority. That was far from certain in New York."

Ian Rapaport
@RapSheet
"#Chiefs exec Chris Ballard is not expected to interview for #Eagles top personnel job that Philly requested him for. Lack of final say hurts"

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
"One reason Chris Ballard turned down Jets interview -- When he becomes a GM, wants full authority. That was far from certain in New York."

Ian Rapaport
@RapSheet
"#Chiefs exec Chris Ballard is not expected to interview for #Eagles top personnel job that Philly requested him for. Lack of final say hurts"

Thanks dude

Liked Posts:
Tommie Harris, Briggs, Peanut, Bernard Berrian, Nathan Vasher, Danieal Manning, Henry Melton, and others - tell both sides.

People don't seem to understand that there was a reason he left and that was the fact he had no say in the drafts and overall personnel. There's a good reason he up and quite, then turned down a job with TB as GM last year to stay with KC.

He quit on Emery and avoided Lovie but he's a "good ole boy" and is Emery 2.0...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If people want Teddy phases out, the Bears need a GM that George is comfortable with and trusts. That way George and the GM will communicate without Teddy being in the middle.

It does not appear that Ballard, whether it is said publicly or not, is going to be controlled by Ted.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
As an aside, I really wouldn't call Berrian and Vasher hits. They weren't catostrophic misses like the four I mentioned, but I don't they're worthy of praise for selection.

FWIW from Twitter...https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/551832532418043905/photo/1

Are you serious? You can't be. Vasher was a wet dream for a 4th rounder. Injuries really set him back. Don't get silly with it Fisch. Any time you can get that kind of production from a middle rounder its a home run.

You can't predict injuries.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Perception in the league is that Ted Phillips is a meddler in football matters and the press conference did not help, with Phillips jumping right out in front of George on a question of Accorsi's authorit.

What you wrote ^

What I read > "George MacCaskey pushes Ted Phillips in front of bus - not being questioned by authorities."

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, lets find the GM that has only had hits. Shouldn't be to hard.
Give me Tom Gamble or give me death.... too bad I'm getting the latter.

Liked Posts:
As an aside, I really wouldn't call Berrian and Vasher hits. They weren't catostrophic misses like the four I mentioned, but I don't they're worthy of praise for selection.

FWIW from Twitter...https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/551832532418043905/photo/1

I think it's also worth noting that most of those picks were also 4th round and higher. He scouted these guys but Angelo was a very hard headed GM and admittedly didn't listen to his scouts during the draft process.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do we have examples of Ted Phillips interfering in football decisions? That's not a rhetorical question. I really can't remember any examples.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do we have examples of Ted Phillips interfering in football decisions? That's not a rhetorical question. I really can't remember any examples.

Per his official bio on http://www.chicagobears.com/team/staff/Ted-Phillips/6e925a1a-a3cc-4882-bcc3-481764d82c4e
Phillips is involved in all critical decisions of the Bears and continues to strive to make all aspects of the Bears organization the best in the NFL. Always insisting on a team first attitude, Phillips has surrounded himself with individuals who fit the organization’s character, culture and values.

FWIW