Would Somebody Trade for Cutler?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What? How did we get Brandon Marshall in the spring, then?

According to the NFL calendar, teams may trade now, up until March 10th. ??

OK....clarification

Trades for 2014 contracts ends on March 10, 4 PM.
The 2015 year begins then.
Trades are still allowed, but are under the 2015 year, thus affecting cap calculations.

But trades are allowed the whole time.

Does that sound correct? I am reading this on NFLtraderumors, and they have some clear errors. They have info re Trading period for 2015 listed on both March 10th and March 19-21.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You can't trade players until the new year begins. Marshall was traded for on the 13th/14th or something right at the start of the league year.

There may of been cases of teams working out trades prior to the year and then officially doing it as the season opened up, I think it's possible but rare.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
tumblr_nezvrdn7R61rge9rdo1_500.jpg
Thanks for making pizza come out of my nose, jerk.:smh:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You need to stop saying this, because it's WRONG. There were FOURTEEN NFL players traded last year between March and August, including FIVE guys in March alone. Blaine Gabbert, Jonathan Martin, Darren Sproles, Matt Schaub, and Jeremy Zuttah were all dealt in March last year, and Mike Williams, Terelle Pryor, and Stevie Johnson went in April and May. Unless they've changed the rules since last summer, Cutler can be dealt without anyone "low-balling" us because of a time constraint.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/trades

The time constraint referenced i believe is a product of when his money becomes due, not NFL rules.

Cutler’s 2016 salary is guaranteed for injury upon signing with $10 million becoming fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2015 League Year

That is some big ass leverage by other teams- If The bears do not pull off a trade within the first 2 days, they are on the hook for all of his 2015 and 2016 cash.

So- the end result is the bears options will be-
A- trade him before that point and get what they can
b- Keep him through the 3rd day, and in doing so, likely tie him to the team until the end of 2016
c- cut him before day 3 and save the 2016 cash, in essence meaning he was paid 38 million for the 2014 season.

Any team exploring the trade possibility likely figures option B and C is not what the bears want, putting option A to the other teams advantage.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
I think if Ballard/Shanahan can't develop Garza, they should trade him prior to entertaining offers for Marshall and Cutler. :)

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Cutler will QB in Chicago until the end of time. People grow older, some are born, some pass, some marry, some leave Cutler will always be there.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
The time constraint referenced i believe is a product of when his money becomes due, not NFL rules.

Cutler’s 2016 salary is guaranteed for injury upon signing with $10 million becoming fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2015 League Year

That is some big ass leverage by other teams- If The bears do not pull off a trade within the first 2 days, they are on the hook for all of his 2015 and 2016 cash.

So- the end result is the bears options will be-
A- trade him before that point and get what they can
b- Keep him through the 3rd day, and in doing so, likely tie him to the team until the end of 2016
c- cut him before day 3 and save the 2016 cash, in essence meaning he was paid 38 million for the 2014 season.

Any team exploring the trade possibility likely figures option B and C is not what the bears want, putting option A to the other teams advantage.

So they've got a 5-6 month window, instead of 2 days. That's what I was saying. If someone wants him, they're not going to wait until Sept. to "get us over a barrel", they'll do the deal with plenty of time to spare. Unless people are suggesting only one team might be interested and they'll just wait the Bears out? That's not going to happen - not saying there will be a bidding war by any means, but half the teams in the league absolutely suck at QB, and you'd think at least several of those will be willing to take a chance just to have some stability at the position.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So they've got a 5-6 month window, instead of 2 days. That's what I was saying. If someone wants him, they're not going to wait until Sept. to "get us over a barrel", they'll do the deal with plenty of time to spare. Unless people are suggesting only one team might be interested and they'll just wait the Bears out? That's not going to happen - not saying there will be a bidding war by any means, but half the teams in the league absolutely suck at QB, and you'd think at least several of those will be willing to take a chance just to have some stability at the position.

It is not september.
It is the beginning of the 2015 contract season, march 10th.
Which means, If Cutler is not moved by march 13th, all that I said comes in to play.

Which means, the reality is as I described above.

In addition to that, free agents are also in play.
No team will covet Cutler and his contract to run up a back door deal right now.
Methinks you overestimate the demand for a 10 year vet that is middle of the road and injury prone at best.

Add to that, most of the QB needy teams will address their needs in the draft rather than take on this monsterous pile of shit contract.

AFTER day 3 of the contract season, if Cutler is still here, there is virtually no chance that he goes anywhere- The damage has already been done to the bears financially.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is not september.
It is the beginning of the 2015 contract season, march 10th.
Which means, If Cutler is not moved by march 13th, all that I said comes in to play.

Which means, the reality is as I described above.

In addition to that, free agents are also in play.
No team will covet Cutler and his contract to run up a back door deal right now.
Methinks you overestimate the demand for a 10 year vet that is middle of the road and injury prone at best.

Add to that, most of the QB needy teams will address their needs in the draft rather than take on this monsterous pile of shit contract.

AFTER day 3 of the contract season, if Cutler is still here, there is virtually no chance that he goes anywhere- The damage has already been done to the bears financially.

So would it be safe to say we need at least two teams to have sincere interest in Cutler in order to be able to move him at a fair price, given its 3 days? And by the way, I think 3 days is plenty of time to move him, if in fact there will be this interest in him that many say.