Wild Possibly Plausible Trade Ideas

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
True, but this points out two things. A consistent lights out closer is extremely difficult to come by. And #2, WAR has it's issues with this being one of them

I'd agree it's not the best indication of value. But personally, I'd rather have a great bullpen than a great closer. I just think the idea of a closer is kind of antiquated for a game that is so anal about things like defensive shifts. Seems more obvious for teams to just play match ups rather than saying this is "the guy." That's why i don't put much value on closers.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If he pitches like last year...no. He was worth like an 88-74 record last year considering how awful our closers were.

I say Castro as the team has depth there and Kimbrel is one of the very few lock down year in and year out players and he happens to be a closer.

Wait. We're crazy optimistic to think Maddon, Lester, Bryant, Soler, Montero, Baez, Alcantara add more than a handful of wins, but Robertson makes last year's Sox an 88 win team?

Oh, did I even mention the Cubs lost many games in April due to their horrible closer who has since been replaced? We didn't add any wins for that - that was at least 6 games right there.

But we're crazy, and Sox fans aren't.

Got it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wait. We're crazy optimistic to think Maddon, Lester, Bryant, Soler, Montero, Baez, Alcantara add more than a handful of wins, but Robertson makes last year's Sox an 88 win team?

Without looking at it again, last year the White Sox won 73 games. They blew 21 games last year. Robertson blew five. If he is the close that looks to be a 16 game difference. Am I missing something?

TL, you need a Valium

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Without looking at it again, last year the White Sox won 73 games. They blew 21 games last year. Robertson blew five. If he is the close that looks to be a 16 game difference. Am I missing something?

TL, you need a Valium

OK. I didn't say THAT was wrong. I said you have ripped Cub fans for expecting a big increase in wins when we were in exactly the same situation - many blown saves early before settling on the current closer. Add to that the off season acquisitions - why is it unrealistic for teh Cubs to expect 88 wins, but not for the Sox?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
OK. I didn't say THAT was wrong. I said you have ripped Cub fans for expecting a big increase in wins when we were in exactly the same situation - many blown saves early before settling on the current closer. Add to that the off season acquisitions - why is it unrealistic for teh Cubs to expect 88 wins, but not for the Sox?

You add a Robertson last year and yes you'd get the same boost.

Tampabear

Liked Posts:
Nope. Don't want to pay a volatile position with such a high turnover more than what we're paying Castro. I'm just fine with Rondon, Strope, Ramirez and Grimm for now. And I don't see the Cubs FO entertaining a deal that gives away a player with Castro's value for a closer. A starter, sure. Maybe even a premium LF. But not a closer. And I don't see the Braves going after a SS considering the commitment they made to Andrelton Simmons.

The real thing is -- are Sox fans mad that they're paying Dave Robertson more than the Braves are paying Kimbrel?

Keeps me up at night.

mudslideglide

Liked Posts:
If you called the Giants and offered Castro for Posey, Brian Sabean would die laughing before he hung up on you.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
No.

Plus I hate the way he dangles his arm like he has his hanger in his shirt still.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think the idea of even having a closer is a little dumb. Your best RP should pitch when a game changing jam comes on. If There is bases loaded with 1 out in the 6th inning and you want to escape with the lead, why not put the best guy out there? Why does it have to be just the 9th inning? Never understood that

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You add a Robertson last year and yes you'd get the same boost.

Not really, blown saves don't have to occur in the 9th inning or later. How many games do you think were blown in the 6th/7th/8th? Closer wasn't the only issue, the entire bullpen, from what I recall, wasn't very good. It's just as important that they added bullpen depth with Duke and Jennings. The closer doesn't matter if your guys in the 6th/7th/8th can't do their jobs. The real hope is that the addition of Samardzija can help bridge the gap so you can use the bullpen less frequently.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think the idea of even having a closer is a little dumb. Your best RP should pitch when a game changing jam comes on. If There is bases loaded with 1 out in the 6th inning and you want to escape with the lead, why not put the best guy out there? Why does it have to be just the 9th inning? Never understood that

Cause the last few outs are more pressure filled

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not really, blown saves don't have to occur in the 9th inning or later. How many games do you think were blown in the 6th/7th/8th? Closer wasn't the only issue, the entire bullpen, from what I recall, wasn't very good. It's just as important that they added bullpen depth with Duke and Jennings. The closer doesn't matter if your guys in the 6th/7th/8th can't do their jobs. The real hope is that the addition of Samardzija can help bridge the gap so you can use the bullpen less frequently.

All true but for us it was a horrible ninth most nights for our blown saves

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Still would love the Cubs to land another frontline starter in a blockbuster.

Cole Hamles and Domonic Brown to the Cubs for Travis Wood, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, CJ Edwards and Christian Villaneuva

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd love it too but no chance on the deal
Why? Shedding salary on a team trying to rebuild, three top ten prospects, a salary-controlled starter who's major league ready right now, and a corner infield who can contribute defensively this season. Keeping Hamels on the Phillies is a disservice to what he meant to the team -- he was the best pitcher on a World Series team. Most contending teams don't have the top end guys the Phillies would covet. I don't see the Cubs dealing Russell, Bryant under any circumstance, and Schwarber or McKinney are too unseasoned to trade now. Almost has premium defensive chops and has All-star potential, Vogelbach can be a Billy Butler-type with more power and Edwards has a #2 ceiling.... who would be willing to offer more without completely hampering their farm?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Why? Shedding salary on a team trying to rebuild, three top ten prospects, a salary-controlled starter who's major league ready right now, and a corner infield who can contribute defensively this season. Keeping Hamels on the Phillies is a disservice to what he meant to the team -- he was the best pitcher on a World Series team. Most contending teams don't have the top end guys the Phillies would covet. I don't see the Cubs dealing Russell, Bryant under any circumstance, and Schwarber or McKinney are too unseasoned to trade now. Almost has premium defensive chops and has All-star potential, Vogelbach can be a Billy Butler-type with more power and Edwards has a #2 ceiling.... who would be willing to offer more without completely hampering their farm?
None of those guys are can't miss major leaguers. For Hammels they'll need three in my eyes. Wood is not a plus imo.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

Cole Hamles and Domonic Brown to the Cubs for Travis Wood, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, CJ Edwards and Christian Villaneuva

It's a solid package but I don't think the Phillies would settle for anything less than Russell or Bryant. And I think the Cubs would do the trade as long as it did not include Russell or Bryant

I don't see either side really budging on that

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think closers are overrated personally even great ones like Rivera. I'd rather have Castro.

Please tell me that I am reading into your post too much. Please don't let it be true you would rather have Castro over Rivera. If that's the case please stop posting.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:rolleyes:

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk