Wild Possibly Plausible Trade Ideas

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really, blown saves don't have to occur in the 9th inning or later. How many games do you think were blown in the 6th/7th/8th? Closer wasn't the only issue, the entire bullpen, from what I recall, wasn't very good. It's just as important that they added bullpen depth with Duke and Jennings. The closer doesn't matter if your guys in the 6th/7th/8th can't do their jobs. The real hope is that the addition of Samardzija can help bridge the gap so you can use the bullpen less frequently.

What!?!?! Wtf?

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please tell me that I am reading into your post too much. Please don't let it be true you would rather have Castro over Rivera. If that's the case please stop posting.

Well, Castro is on a HOF pace hits wise. :cubstroll2:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
None of those guys are can't miss major leaguers. For Hammels they'll need three in my eyes. Wood is not a plus imo.

I thought, according to you and Dews, no prospect is can't-miss?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What!?!?! Wtf?

Please read again. I'm assuming you've never looked at a box score to understand that a blown save comes from any opportunity that is a save situation.

This is what a save is and what constitutes a save situation.

Again, to think that the "closer role" was the White Sox bullpen issue is kind of ignorant. Who was their closer, anyway? Jake Petricka? He wasn't the issue. Ronald Belisario, Matt Lindstrom, Scott Downs and Eric Surkamp were issues. So.... my reasoning is -- who fucking cares who your ninth inning guys is if your sixth, seventh and eighth inning guys are? Why have a Ferrari if you won't drive it in the rain and you live in Seattle? If you can't bridge the gap, a closer is useless. Are you expecting your starters to go 8 innings every game?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Please read again. I'm assuming you've never looked at a box score to understand that a blown save comes from any opportunity that is a save situation.

This is what a save is and what constitutes a save situation.

Again, to think that the "closer role" was the White Sox bullpen issue is kind of ignorant. Who was their closer, anyway? Jake Petricka? He wasn't the issue. Ronald Belisario, Matt Lindstrom, Scott Downs and Eric Surkamp were issues. So.... my reasoning is -- who ...cares who your ninth inning guys is if your sixth, seventh and eighth inning guys are? Why have a Ferrari if you won't drive it in the rain and you live in Seattle? If you can't bridge the gap, a closer is useless. Are you expecting your starters to go 8 innings every game?

We basically had just about all those guys be the closer at some point among others. If we had Roberston we were contenders, if the rest of the guys like you said were just average or better instead of :puke: then you are talking upper 90's in wins and that's with a below average offense and defense last year.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We basically had just about all those guys be the closer at some point among others. If we had Roberston we were contenders, if the rest of the guys like you said were just average or better instead of :puke: then you are talking upper 90's in wins and that's with a below average offense and defense last year.

Which is precisely why I believe adding depth is more important than adding a closer alone. And like I've said before, Robertson has one year as a closer... it's not like you guys landed Aroldis Champman or Craig Kimbrel.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still would love the Cubs to land another frontline starter in a blockbuster.

Cole Hamles and Domonic Brown to the Cubs for Travis Wood, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, CJ Edwards and Christian Villaneuva

Brown = Wood so they cancel.

Hamels = Edwards (top 100), Almora (Top 100 Maybe), Vogelbach (Add in), Villaneuva (Add in)

They are getting volume but the deal lacks a impact return. If I'm looking to deal a top 5 SP with control I want a impact player. I would want Russell then take Vogelbach (I'm looking to deal Howard anyways), and Villaneuva makes a solid 3rd option.

Wood for Brown? No they are short on OF and Brown is still young.

Cubs point of view. Vogelbach will not be a Cub so his value is in trade toss in. Villaneuva is in the same boat. Russell is a SS. Castro has gotten better a SS D and has a plus hit tool.

It is arguable if either Castro or Russell will end up as the better player after their careers are over.

Castro can play 162 every year. Add to it he is still only 25. He has much time left on his clock.

As touted as Russell is he is still a unproven talent. His greatest value IMO is bringing back a ace type. Which Hamels is.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Russell is unproven but IMO, he has the lowest floor of all the prospects. If I had to pick one prospect that will be a starter for the next 10 years, I would pick Russell. I mean I'm no scout so that doesn't mean much lol, just sayin

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Russell is unproven but IMO, he has the lowest floor of all the prospects. If I had to pick one prospect that will be a starter for the next 10 years, I would pick Russell. I mean I'm no scout so that doesn't mean much lol, just sayin

The highest floor IMO is Schwarber. His hit tool is major league quality. I don't expect him to gain much from what he is now. But he looks to be a 18% SO/16% BB guy. Which means he gets on base at a huge clip.

After that it is debatable on Almora or Russell. Almora right now is a back up OF in the majors with a potential hit tool. If he can bring up his BB% he may get into the top 25 prospects. Russell is a complete package but his hitting is ahead of his D.

Bryant totes a 30% SO rate. He has the most impact but is still high risk. His BB% is around 15% so that and his power should gloss over his short comings.

But the highest floor of them all: Soler. He brings it all. D, Big arm, BB%, hit tool, power. Speed. Dude has all around tools and has shown that he can impact the team. I'm looking forward to Rizzo and Soler next year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jackey Bradley Jr. for Wellington Castillo

They just signed Rusney Castillo to mega deal to play CF. They also have Mookie Betts who has a good season and Hanley will be playing LF with Victorino in RF. To be blunt, Bradley hasn't looked good thus far. He has hit .196/.268/.280 in 530 PAs. A lot of that is due to his K rate being 8%+ what it was in the minors. A .277 BABIP doesn't help matters either. With corrections to those two areas to where he theoretically should be based on minors numbers you're probably looking at a .250-.260/.335-.345 hitter with plus-plus defense.

As for the Sox side, they have highly touted Vazquez as their penciled in starting catcher. However, he's only 24 and this is a team looking to compete next year. Castillo wouldn't be a bad insurance policy. If Vazquez is as good as advertised, you're not tied down into Castillo long as he's a FA in 2 years i believe. Overall, it's trading from an area of depth to one that's not as deep plus there's the obvious risk that maybe Bradley is a never will be MLB player.

Overall, seems fair to me to both sides. From the cubs perspective, Bradley's probably a better version of Almora and being a lefty doesn't hurt matters either. Also, its worth noting that I believe Bradley was one of Theo's last picks as he was drafted June 2011 and theo left after that season IIRC.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Curse of the Billy Goat for a PTBNL

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
I'd make that trade. I'd rather go for Matt Harvey from the Mets. Coming off Tommy John surgery, the Mets just might bite on that deal. I think he's worth taking a shot for and hope he's back to normal.

Castro to me, is another Soriano or Ramerez once the playoffs start.......swings at garbage and an easy out.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I think Posey is a Giant for life -- he's on a Hall of Fame path. To me, there's a 0% chance the Giants would deal him. He's the best all-around catcher in the game (slight nod over Molina due to age).

While the deal is......inconceivable--I'd make that deal in a second.

I think Lucroy is the best overall C to Molina. Posey #3, though I think he's going the 'Joe Mauer' route and turning into a >50% 1B during the coming seasons.

Posey is damn good at framing pitches, but Lucroy is top in that category with almost every pitcher he calls a game for.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
While the deal is......inconceivable--I'd make that deal in a second.

I think Lucroy is the best overall C to Molina. Posey #3, though I think he's going the 'Joe Mauer' route and turning into a >50% 1B during the coming seasons.

Posey is damn good at framing pitches, but Lucroy is top in that category with almost every pitcher he calls a game for.

Yea, but Lucroy looks like the douche of all douches.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Yea, but Lucroy looks like the douche of all douches.

Well.....he is in Milwaukee.

Ever seen the women in Wisconsin? You will if you turn on the game in 5 minutes.

Here's a hint: Moo.......