Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I don't think the Sox are the favourites.

I think there is reason for optimism, but Noesi and Danks are meh. Rodon is an unknown. However, Bill James was on MLB Now and was saying something like how the Sox should have been a .500ish team but the bullpen was so shitty that it drug them down. Maybe they got the bullpen fixed enough, and added enough to win it?

I don't know. As of now I don't think so.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Sox are the favourites.

I think there is reason for optimism, but Noesi and Danks are meh. Rodon is an unknown. However, Bill James was on MLB Now and was saying something like how the Sox should have been a .500ish team but the bullpen was so shitty that it drug them down. Maybe they got the bullpen fixed enough, and added enough to win it?

I don't know. As of now I don't think so.

Who cares about Danks? 5th starters are irrelevant. We have a Cy Young candidate in the 1st slot, an AllStar in the 2nd and 3rd, and eventually a ROY candidate for a 4th. We have the best closer available backing them up. I see this team winning 84+ if key guys stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
And we know Rodon will be ROY candidate how? Who's to say he isn't a bust?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares about Danks? 5th starters are irrelevant. We have a Cy Young candidate in the 1st slot, an AllStar in the 2nd and 3rd, and eventually a ROY candidate for a 4th. We have the best closer available backing them up. I see this team winning 84+ if key guys stay healthy.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, numerous times that Shark was an over-rated, and at best a 3rd or 4th rotation guy.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I seem to remember reading somewhere, numerous times that Shark was an over-rated, and at best a 3rd or 4th rotation guy.

Ok... and you buy that? If you watch baseball, you know the truth. Shark is a solid #2, capable of winning 15-18 games with decent run support and a good closer. He hasn't quite reached ace status, but the talent and poise on the mound is there to become one.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok... and you buy that? If you watch baseball, you know the truth. Shark is a solid #2, capable of winning 15-18 games with decent run support and a good closer. He hasn't quite reached ace status, but the talent and poise on the mound is there to become one.

but it had to be seen.

rodon is an unknown, he could be the next lance broadway for all we know. Lets not start turning into cubs fans and proclaiming crazy shit.

The offseason isn't over. I say this division will be tight and injuries are going to have a major impact on who wins since this division is so close.

Danks as a 4th and noesi as a fifth can get it done when you have the 1-3 on lock down.

Id still want another SP though to give myself more confidence

Our lineup stacks up with any team in our division. we have a good mix of power and OBP with a little bit of speed. Defense is good as well except an avg 3bmn.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
And we know Rodon will be ROY candidate how? Who's to say he isn't a bust?

Stupid question man. Nothing's a guarantee, but he has tremendous talent and polish. Do some research on him and judge for yourself. There's plenty of videos of him pitching against some of the best hitters in Cuba and Latin America online. Read what respected scouts have to say about the. That way you can atleast establish a baseline about the kid. Why so many people dismiss players just because they know nothing about them? Kinda stupid if you ask me.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
but it had to be seen.

rodon is an unknown, he could be the next lance broadway for all we know. Lets not start turning into cubs fans and proclaiming crazy shit.

The offseason isn't over. I say this division will be tight and injuries are going to have a major impact on who wins since this division is so close.

Danks as a 4th and noesi as a fifth can get it done when you have the 1-3 on lock down.

Id still want another SP though to give myself more confidence

Our lineup stacks up with any team in our division. we have a good mix of power and OBP with a little bit of speed. Defense is good as well except an avg 3bmn.

Crazy? Look, there's a reason why Rodon was drafted so high. He's fucking good; good enough to be a starter right away. He's actually had more positive things said about him than Sale did the year he was drafted. What does that mean? It means his potential and upside are phenomenal, and Sox fans should feel good about having him in the organization. I beleive he got the highest signing bonus for a draftee in franchise history. You think Boras would have asked for what he did if Rodon wasn't an elite pitching prospect? Call it intuition if you want, but Rodon is going to be something special.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the offseason isnt over

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

That is correct. We will see a lot of remaining action about halfway through spring training as arms blow up, guys get hurt. Prospects fail, etc. It happens every spring.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stupid question man. Nothing's a guarantee, but he has tremendous talent and polish. Do some research on him and judge for yourself. There's plenty of videos of him pitching against some of the best hitters in Cuba and Latin America online. Read what respected scouts have to say about the. That way you can atleast establish a baseline about the kid. Why so many people dismiss players just because they know nothing about them? Kinda stupid if you ask me.

We are White Sox fans, that is why. We've been burned many times before. We've had leadership that makes mistakes. YOu just have to wait and see regarding prospects is all.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Danks doesn't matter as a 5th guy in the rotation because the guys in front of him are so good, then the 4th guy must be pretty good, right? How in the wide wide world of sports, then, does one think that Hector Noesi is pretty good, then? Hell, this schleb has a lifetime 12-27 major league record and a 5 plus ERA. Come on man!!!! Last season the Sox had two quality starting pitchers. THis season, they have three. Last season they had one decent bull-pen guy. This year they have 4. That is 7 pitchers out of a 11 or 12 man staff. If Rodon comes through and Jones comes back solid, that is 9 at best. They need more pitching.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
We are White Sox fans, that is why. We've been burned many times before. We've had leadership that makes mistakes. YOu just have to wait and see regarding prospects is all.

Burned? What are you talking about? This franchise has been relevant and active in pursuit of a championship for over twenty years now. Fans haven't been burned by anything.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
If Danks doesn't matter as a 5th guy in the rotation because the guys in front of him are so good, then the 4th guy must be pretty good, right? How in the wide wide world of sports, then, does one think that Hector Noesi is pretty good, then? Hell, this schleb has a lifetime 12-27 major league record and a 5 plus ERA. Come on man!!!! Last season the Sox had two quality starting pitchers. THis season, they have three. Last season they had one decent bull-pen guy. This year they have 4. That is 7 pitchers out of a 11 or 12 man staff. If Rodon comes through and Jones comes back solid, that is 9 at best. They need more pitching.

5th starters are irrelevant in professionsl baseball. You'd be hard pressed to find a 5th starter with a winning percentage above .500 on any team. Some teams even use 6 starters in the rotation... not to win more games, but to keep the best starters fresh. These are things you should probably know, Hawk. As a fellow fan, I admire your passion, and understand where you're coming from with some of your concerns. Still, I must say I'm a little shocked by your ignotance.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is correct. We will see a lot of remaining action about halfway through spring training as arms blow up, guys get hurt. Prospects fail, etc. It happens every spring.

very true. but the big names will probably sign before hand

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

Jimmy_G_Buckets

Liked Posts:
Favorites? Nope. Dark horse? Definitely.

If Avisail lives up to his potential the batting order is going to very good.

If Noesi or Danks can step up and be a slightly above league average #4 I don't think the rotation will be a weakness. Have you seen who most teams trot out as #5 starter?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Burned? What are you talking about? This franchise has been relative and active in pursuit of a championship for over twenty years now. Fans haven't been burned by anything.

Look. As I see it prospects are just what they are labeled as......prospects. Lance Broadway failed. Beckham failed. The White Sox minor league system for the most part has failed to produce much of anything. Hahn is changing that but it is going to take time to do. They made some good moves last year and thus far this year but very few of them thus far have been with prospects coming up. The Cuban infusion has greatly helped and they are making good inroads into the DR and Venezuela for talent.

I am saying that the majority of Sox fans do not buy the kind of bull crap that gets sold by the Cubs for example who think that anyone coming in from their farm system is going to be great. SOX FANS ARE MUCH MORE PRAGMATIC is all.

I think that the Sox have done a good job in putting together what will be a fun team to watch and a competitive one. But their pitching still needs some additional pieces to make them a contending ball club. Noesi and Danks are weak pitchers. Our bull-pen is still thin in the middle of it and the combination of two weak starters and a lack of middle relief guys who can come in and try and shut the opponent down while the line-up tries to close the gap is an issue. A solvable one, I think, but right now they are not there.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Favorites? Nope. Dark horse? Definitely.

If Avisail lives up to his potential the batting order is going to very good.

If Noesi or Danks can step up and be a slightly above league average #4 I don't think the rotation will be a weakness. Have you seen who most teams trot out as #5 starter?

I just think that you are way too optimistic. Neither Danks or Noesi have shown any indication of being above league average. They are veteran guys who on a contending team would not sniff a starting job and in Dank's case at least, is very much over-paid. The good news is that I believe Hahn knows what he is doing and will make a couple of moves before they clear spring training camp.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Look. As I see it prospects are just what they are labeled as......prospects. Lance Broadway failed. Beckham failed. The White Sox minor league system for the most part has failed to produce much of anything. Hahn is changing that but it is going to take time to do. They made some good moves last year and thus far this year but very few of them thus far have been with prospects coming up. The Cuban infusion has greatly helped and they are making good inroads into the DR and Venezuela for talent.

I am saying that the majority of Sox fans do not buy the kind of bull crap that gets sold by the Cubs for example who think that anyone coming in from their farm system is going to be great. SOX FANS ARE MUCH MORE PRAGMATIC is all.

I think that the Sox have done a good job in putting together what will be a fun team to watch and a competitive one. But their pitching still needs some additional pieces to make them a contending ball club. Noesi and Danks are weak pitchers. Our bull-pen is still thin in the middle of it and the combination of two weak starters and a lack of middle relief guys who can come in and try and shut the opponent down while the line-up tries to close the gap is an issue. A solvable one, I think, but right now they are not there.

Your problem is you want them to go out and get all these guys to stick in the bullpen and pitching rotation. You should know that's not going to happen, nor is it necessary. We've already spent a shit load of money, and will have to spend more on pitching next year in order to sign Shark. Our trade pieces are limited, so we're not getting better pitchers than what we already have on the roster for Tank. Anderson's not ready for the bigs yet, so Ramirez stays at SS for now. How are you going to get all these arms, that are in huge demand around the league I might add.

You wanna be a debby downer about Rodon, go right ahead. I suggest you at least do your homework first before crying about the Sox needing a 4th and 5th starter. You claim to be some baseball coach who knows something about the game. Maybe you can watch Rodon on video and give us your impressions of him. Who knows, it might convince you that he's better than some 4th or 5th scrub pitcher we get in any trades right now.