AL Central Favorites...Chicago White Sox

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
That was a way way too optimistic opinion. They had the worst pitching in the division last season and now it is 2nd or 3rd. Bottom of the starting rotation stinks from 4-8 including the minor leagues and still need another relief pitcher at least.

The Sox are three deep with All-Star caliber arms in the rotation... possibly four if Rodon lives up to the hype. We have a legitimate closer and a healthier pen to start the season. We are vastly improved over last year. Cleveland is the only other team that might have better pitching than we do in the division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Jennings, Duke, and Robertson are all going to improve the pen greatly. We need two more guys from the rest of the pile with anyone who's left after that to be the long relief guy. The pen is going to be fine this year.

And credit to Dews. He stuck behind Noesi the entire time and he's a fine #5.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Both Central divisions will be exciting -- Cubs, Cards and Pirates. Sox, Tigers and Indians. It's gonna be a fun spring and summer.

Get ready, guys.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Sox are three deep with All-Star caliber arms in the rotation... possibly four if Rodon lives up to the hype. We have a legitimate closer and a healthier pen to start the season. We are vastly improved over last year. Cleveland is the only other team that might have better pitching than we do in the division.

We just disagree. Rodon will not be a starter this year in all probability so they are only three deep with quality starters. Our pen is much better than last year but is not deep. and anything is a big step up from last year when it was the worst in the AL. ANd as long as Detroit holds on to the starters that they had last year, there staff is still a quality one. and KC's relievers are top notch. The Sox still need another good starter and two good relievers(one if Rodon works out). I'm just trying to be realistic.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jennings, Duke, and Robertson are all going to improve the pen greatly. We need two more guys from the rest of the pile with anyone who's left after that to be the long relief guy. The pen is going to be fine this year.

And credit to Dews. He stuck behind Noesi the entire time and he's a fine #5.

I think that Noesi and Danks are both scrubs that cannot be depended on to win games. What gives you guys any confidence that either is "fine"?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
We just disagree. Rodon will not be a starter this year in all probability so they are only three deep with quality starters. Our pen is much better than last year but is not deep. and anything is a big step up from last year when it was the worst in the AL. ANd as long as Detroit holds on to the starters that they had last year, there staff is still a quality one. and KC's relievers are top notch. The Sox still need another good starter and two good relievers(one if Rodon works out). I'm just trying to be realistic.

What makes you think Rodon won't wind up in the rotation?

What do you want the Sox to do to get deeper pitching? The only trade piece we have is Tank. So what's your plan?

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:

What do you want the Sox to do to get deeper pitching? The only trade piece we have is Tank. So what's your plan?

Did you not see Noesi pitch last year? As a #5 he is fine.

Hahn needs to make every effort to acquire at least 4 to 6 viable starting pitchers, AND 9 to 10 quality relievers. Only then shall "we" rise above .500

Open question...Where is the green button? (sarcasm)

:crazydance:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Hahn needs to make every effort to acquire at least 4 to 6 viable starting pitchers, AND 9 to 10 quality relievers. Only then shall "we" rise above .500

Open question...Where is the green button? (sarcasm)

:crazydance:

Not sure who is more delusional, you or Hawk. We have enough pitching and positional balance to be above .500.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Not sure who is more delusional, you or Hawk. We have enough pitching and positional balance to be above .500.

So, neither the green button reference nor the crazydance guy conveyed my attempt at hyperbole? If anything, I might have put in the word additional before viable and quality.

That said, by 9:00 Mondeee morning, I want my name stricken from the official delusional candidate list. I don't want my out-o-town relatives to become concerned.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
So, neither the green button reference nor the crazydance guy conveyed my attempt at hyperbole? If anything, I might have put in the word additional before viable and quality.

That said, by 9:00 Mondeee morning, I want my name stricken from the official delusional candidate list. I don't want my out-o-town relatives to become concerned.

Sorry, iPhone's don't like sarcasm or inuendo.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Sorry, iPhone's don't like sarcasm or inuendo.

As an Apple stockholder, I don't mind one bit.

The omnipresent tapatalk signature however...(sarcasm-kinda) ;)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

First, I believe that Rodon will gain his spurs by doing what Sale did, and that is relieve. He needs to prove, first of all, that he can throw strikes and get a chance to work with Cooper. That to me will be the model by which they will work. Why wouldn't they? I would say that they did the smart thing with Sale and should also do it with Rodon.

Secondly, they have other options other than merely Viciedo. They have Alexi. They have Flowers. They have Danks. They have some talent now in the minors finally. Other teams have young pitching. I'd sure as hell wanted the Sox to go after young pitching talent than giving $4M to a utility infielder, for example. $4M for this guy was dumb.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you not see Noesi pitch last year? As a #5 he is fine.

Yeah, and did you check out what his ERA was during those outings? He is a scrub.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Is .500 the standard now? You need to understand that it is pitching that primarily is needed for a championship team. Just a look at what the Giants and Royals did last year with pitching should be all that is needed. As I see it, we have basically 3 good starting pitchers and 4 or 5 good relief pitchers in the ENTIRE 3A and major league operation. While it is very much better than last year, it is not nearly good enough. IF you think that Danks and Noesi make up 40% of your starters, you are in big time trouble. They will lose probably 60% of their starts, especially when the middle of your pen is weak which the Sox pen is right now. Yeah the front end of the starters is very good and the back end of the relievers is very good but the other stuff counts a lot also. Reinsdorf needs to spend more money.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
First, I believe that Rodon will gain his spurs by doing what Sale did, and that is relieve. He needs to prove, first of all, that he can throw strikes and get a chance to work with Cooper. That to me will be the model by which they will work. Why wouldn't they? I would say that they did the smart thing with Sale and should also do it with Rodon.

Secondly, they have other options other than merely Viciedo. They have Alexi. They have Flowers. They have Danks. They have some talent now in the minors finally. Other teams have young pitching. I'd sure as hell wanted the Sox to go after young pitching talent than giving $4M to a utility infielder, for example. $4M for this guy was dumb.

Dude, no one's giving up young pitching talent for players we're trying to get rid of. And giving up Alexi for relievers doesn't make sense either. Moving him leaves a pretty big hole in our defense and hitting line up. You have to be absolutely certain that Tim Anderson is ready to handle the job (21 yr old)... I don't he is, else Alexi would have been traded during the winter meetings. Good hitting shortstops are a hot commodity. As for Bonifacio, he is insurance, nothing more. You're worried about the money to sign him, why? Most utility players his age make about the same money. Clearly, there aren't many sensible alternatives at the moment, so it stands to reason the Sox are just trying to build a little depth behind the starters, who are all pretty good. I'm a proud Sox fan right now, you should be too.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Is .500 the standard now? You need to understand that it is pitching that primarily is needed for a championship team. Just a look at what the Giants and Royals did last year with pitching should be all that is needed. As I see it, we have basically 3 good starting pitchers and 4 or 5 good relief pitchers in the ENTIRE 3A and major league operation. While it is very much better than last year, it is not nearly good enough. IF you think that Danks and Noesi make up 40% of your starters, you are in big time trouble. They will lose probably 60% of their starts, especially when the middle of your pen is weak which the Sox pen is right now. Yeah the front end of the starters is very good and the back end of the relievers is very good but the other stuff counts a lot also. Reinsdorf needs to spend more money.

Hawk, repeat after me: "The 5th starter does not matter."

Every fifth starter in the league stinks. Most #4s stink too. As long as Sale, Shark and Q stay healthy and pitch lights out, this team is good enough to win a ton of games. It's about balance and being greater than the some of your parts. KC and SF aren't perfect teams either, but they have enough average to above avg players to be solid clubs who can beat anybody in the league. The Sox are headed in the right direction, we just have to be patient and trust that Hahn know's what he's doing.