Sporting News picks the Cubs to win the World Series

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I realize picking the Cubs now is likely stupid, that picking any team right now without guys like Scherzer even having a team is stupid...but we're Cubs fans and it's been a while since we got to read something like this.:lol:

I'll post the gist of it but the full article is here Why we picked the Cubs

The addition of Jon Lester to the top of the rotation is huge for Chicago, as it means that Jake Arrieta slides into the No. 2 spot, followed by returning free agent Jason Hammel, and then some kind of mix of Kyle Hendricks, Travis Wood, Tsuyoshi Wada, Jacob Turner and Felix Doubront. The depth at the back end of the rotation should allow Chicago to put together a formidable starting five coming out of spring training. Competition is healthy, and you can never have too much pitching.

Likewise, the Cubs have some good things going on in the bullpen, led by Hector Rondon, Justin Grimm and Pedro Strop, with other intriguing arms like Neil Ramirez and a potentially rebounding Jason Motte.

The real reason to be excited, though, is the Cubs’ bountiful farm system, coupled with savvy trades, is starting to bear fruit for the lineup. First baseman Anthony Rizzo (acquired from the Padres when he was 22) and home-grown shortstop Starlin Castro are the cornerstones of the lineup, both legitimate stars entering their age-25 seasons. The fact that the Cubs were able to get significant action in the major leagues last year for Arismendy Alcantara, Jorge Soler and Javier Baez will help those players settle into their first full big-league campaigns. Eventually, Kris Bryant will be along as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And People just voted me Sexiest Man Alive for 2015.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
That's pretty odd. The last time I think anyone actually picked us was what? 2008-9? And I almost think that team was better than where we are right now going into this season.

I like it, though. We are getting back on the map.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
This is just a kind of "throw stuff against the wall and see if it sticks" pick. It generates clicks and gets people reading their site for Cubs news. Heck we all do it. I picked Kansas City to get to or win the WS for the past four years and finally gave up in 2014, Doh.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
*yawn* I already predicted this

giphy.gif

Thephoenix36

Liked Posts:
I think we're putting WAY too much pressure on kids who haven't even played a full season (or at all) in the majors. No disrespect to Rizzo, Castro, Lester or Maddon, but really? Let's give them a chance to learn how to play in the majors...face major league pitching, endure the schedule, make adjustments, etc.... I'm all for a WS win this year, but wow.....

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Kind of a ridiculous prediction. It will be Soler, Alcantara, Baez, Hendricks, etc first full season. Bryant hasn't even played a game yet. Offensively the only fully proven guys we have are Rizzo, Casto, and Montera. A few of our prospects will probably become high level All-Star/cornerstone type players but Bryant hasn't even played a single game yet.

I'd imagine we'll be around .500 with the arrow pointing up. I certainly wouldn't play us in 2016, though.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you guys do realize that this is all connected to vegas right? the chances of this happening is like zero percent. vegas lowers the odds getting the population of cubs fans to bet seeing that it is worth it. when people see the odds they write dumb articles and write dumb posts of belief. vegas will cash in

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
you guys do realize that this is all connected to vegas right? the chances of this happening is like zero percent. vegas lowers the odds getting the population of cubs fans to bet seeing that it is worth it. when people see the odds they write dumb articles and write dumb posts of belief. vegas will cash in

Wow, that's more cynical than my thoughts that it's clickbait to bring fans to their site. Still, you could have a point. Listen every year someone wants to be the smartest guy in the room and make a pick devoid in logic but that theoretically could happen. Motivations may vary I suppose.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They have to learn to walk before they start running.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Vegas always cashes in

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

Vegas cashes in regardless if the favorites win or if the Astros win. That's how Vegas works. Vegas doesn't lower the odds to get people to buy-in lol. Vegas lowers the odds because the large number of Cubs fans that bet on the team. When a lot of people take a certain bet, the odds are adjusted until it reaches a steady place. It is called supply and demand.

I think this an, "I want to say I called it" article

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vegas cashes in regardless if the favorites win or if the Astros win. That's how Vegas works. Vegas doesn't lower the odds to get people to buy-in lol. Vegas lowers the odds because the large number of Cubs fans that bet on the team. When a lot of people take a certain bet, the odds are adjusted until it reaches a steady place. It is called supply and demand.

I think this an, "I want to say I called it" article

you know nothing about how sport betting works. You "lol" all you want about how vegas doesn't lower odds to draw people in. If you think that they don't prey on that than I would love to watch you gamble away.

Some on twitter believe the sporting news article was just to get hits and it was a lot of cubs fans saying that. I believe spector who usually is ok with his tweets just got the attention he wanted. hell he baited me into it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Jz is right...action determines odds. Vegas only cares about the vig

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Good point. However, you realize that we'll know for sure once Vegas adjusts the money? Vegas is never wrong. Your point is premature. We will know much more as the line goes on.